EUC Footwear?

First ever post on here!  Glad to be aboard this forum! Very interesting topic.

I'm not one for wearing big chunky hiking boots when riding.  I get that they're secure an will protect your feet and ankles but the chunkiness disconnects me from the feel of my wheel personally.   

NOBULL Canvas Mid trainers.

I discovered this brand when I was looking for a new pair of crossfit training shoes for the gym.  They've been excellent for the gym and all the wear and tear that comes with weights training so I thought why not give them a go for riding?  Happy to report that they've been EXCELLENT for EUC riding.  Relatively flat shoe with a 4mm heel to toe drop which has been great for feeling the wheel while thick enough cushioning and support for protection, hard wearing upper which will protect well against abrasion and ankle coverage in the Mid & High Top range.   Very similar to the Vans and Converse shoes but hell of a lot tougher! 

BlackGumCanvasTrainerMidConcrete_1500_10

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

My opinion is that everyone wears what suits them, but in case of a fall, a logically stronger shoe or a reinforced shoe is logically much safer.
This is how my shoe ended up after a 17m slip on asphalt, and if I didn't have these reinforced / army level shoes, my toes were broken or bulged because I still had bruises on my toes. In some adiadas wans nike rockstar etc  propably would have my fingers torn to a pulp.
I wish everyone good health and fun at the EUC without accidents.

DiDLgYu.jpg

Spoiler is crash video think about wat boots you wear handle situation like this:

Hide contents

OH my God!!! A 17mt slip? Were you flying low, Top Gun style? 😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found these on amazon.

I'm not thrilled with them, even with spike plates.  The stock round boot laces come undone under my jeans, and steering with a loose boot sucks ass.  I guess could probably fix that by replacing the laces with a waxed lace or even using more permanent knot... but even then, sometimes I find myself slipping around even on spikes, the soles aren't flat or stiff enough, which is probably going to be the issue with tactical boots in general.  Great protection, but better for walking and running than staying flat-footed.

I like to wear skateboard shoes in general, but prefer some extra ankle protection on my EUC, especially with as much off-roading as I do.  I'm browsing this thread for better powersport boots with flat, skate shoe-like soles.  My feet are an odd size, a true US9.5 which doesn't have a direct analog in EU sizes (most size charts put me between a 42-43), so that doesn't help, but that's always been an issue when it comes to shoe and rollerblade sizing anyway...

My black leather chucks aren't bad to use... but they're too special to me to want to wear out or damage trail riding.  They were something of an inheritance from my grandfather, a vintage model with 12 pairs of eyelets.  I wear these to weddings, black-tie or casual.  They also aren't made anymore, at all, just had a chat with a Converse CS rep about them.  "Heartbreaking." was the only word I could use to describe the news.

Maybe I'll just get a newer pair of modern black leather chucks...

17 hours ago, Kagenin said:

I found these on amazon.

I'm not thrilled with them, even with spike plates.  The stock round boot laces come undone under my jeans, and steering with a loose boot sucks ass.  I guess could probably fix that by replacing the laces with a waxed lace or even using more permanent knot... but even then, sometimes I find myself slipping around even on spikes, the soles aren't flat or stiff enough, which is probably going to be the issue with tactical boots in general.  Great protection, but better for walking and running than staying flat-footed.

I like to wear skateboard shoes in general, but prefer some extra ankle protection on my EUC, especially with as much off-roading as I do.  I'm browsing this thread for better powersport boots with flat, skate shoe-like soles.  My feet are an odd size, a true US9.5 which doesn't have a direct analog in EU sizes (most size charts put me between a 42-43), so that doesn't help, but that's always been an issue when it comes to shoe and rollerblade sizing anyway...

My black leather chucks aren't bad to use... but they're too special to me to want to wear out or damage trail riding.  They were something of an inheritance from my grandfather, a vintage model with 12 pairs of eyelets.  I wear these to weddings, black-tie or casual.  They also aren't made anymore, at all, just had a chat with a Converse CS rep about them.  "Heartbreaking." was the only word I could use to describe the news.

Maybe I'll just get a newer pair of modern black leather chucks...

I wear something similar. I feel more connected to the pedals versus Vans or Sneakers. Great ankle protection. Very Light.

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I’ve never quite understood the idea of “feeling connected” with thin shoes being a good thing. After all we do our best to find shoes with good cushioning, optimize the tire pressure for best shock absorption, and we are all over the latest suspension wheels. Sounds like disengaging the connection is what we aim for.

Same goes for avoiding feet getting numb during a ride. Soft shoes on shaky and angled pedals is what causes them to go numb.

I really like the stability my light Salomon hiking boots provide. The disconnected feeling allows me to ride much longer without getting numb, and makes bumpy roads tolerable.

I like to micro manage my foot position while riding. Thin shoes allow me to feel where the plates end and when/if Im coming off the pedals. COmpromises, as  thin shoes aggravate the feet faster. Angled pedals are the same. More anlge= tighter to the wheel but much more pressure on the old ankles...

• Like 2

@Kagenin I've had my TCX Street Ace motorcycle shoes for over a year and still love them. The sizing runs large, but they look like leather chucks. Heal cups, flat sole that is walkable but firm (they don't look like motorcycle shoes at all) amd they have a gortex liner for water resistance. 

I've tried a lot of shoes on the EUC and these are the best I've found to do everything from groceries to parts of trails that require hiking a section to get through.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Flying W said:

@Kagenin I've had my TCX Street Ace motorcycle shoes for over a year and still love them. The sizing runs large, but they look like leather chucks. Heal cups, flat sole that is walkable but firm (they don't look like motorcycle shoes at all) amd they have a gortex liner for water resistance. 

I've tried a lot of shoes on the EUC and these are the best I've found to do everything from groceries to parts of trails that require hiking a section to get through.

I just did a ton of research on various motorcycle foot ware, because I figured with such an enormous community, there likely would be a protective motorcycle shoe that also doubles as a comfortable wearing boot.  I would say most the options were in the Adventure/Touring subsection of motorcycle foot ware, but I've been looking at Trials motorcycle boots? 

They look like a nice balance of protective, flexible, flat sole (that can be replaced at a cobbler if necessary).  Also expensive!  But I'm starting to look at riding foot ware like I look at helmets or body armor... kinda important.  If I land on a good pair, and like them, I'll be sure to share

• Like 1

Il y a 7 heures, GothamMike a déclaré:

Marque?

My shoes are the TCX brand, flexible, waterproof, reinforced at the tip and maleole bone, warm lining.

tcx10.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've gone to high-top hiking shoes after twisting an ankle. 

The ankle twist wasn't particularly because I was riding a unicycle, but because there was an empty post-hole about two feet away from a "bike path".  I had coasted off the narrow path to let an oncoming bike pass.  I live in Houston TX, bike/pedestrian infrastructure is undeveloped or unmaintained.  And we just can't trust what's hidden under the grass.  So if your environment includes some ankle-breakers, then protect your ankles!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, Kamikaze_K said:

looking like I'm preparing for the Walking Dead or about to start a MotoGP race.

Personally, I particularly like that look.

Then I grab the trash pinchers, the empty cat litter bucket (has a big picture of a kitty on the side), and hop on the MTen. :eff05cf9bc:

Edited by Tawpie

My Alpinestars Faster 3 Rideknit has served me very well this summer, so much breath-ability and comfort and support in right places I think these are the most breathable motorcycle shoes you can get, best summer shoes ever.

alpinestars-faster-3-rideknit-motorcycle-shoes-black-red.thumb.jpg.afdca0396125b708529087f3e56276d0.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rawnei said:

My Alpinestars Faster 3 Rideknit has served me very well this summer, so much breath-ability and comfort and support in right places I think these are the most breathable motorcycle shoes you can get, best summer shoes ever.

alpinestars-faster-3-rideknit-motorcycle-shoes-black-red.thumb.jpg.afdca0396125b708529087f3e56276d0.jpg

Those look great for summer! I'm still wearing the TCX street ace waterproof (gortex lined) and they are very hot in the summer. 

After the hits these riding shoes take I would not feel comfortable on trail in normal hightops or hiking boots. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

@ShanesPlanet 6 @mrelwood....I just found the perfect solution after testing, motorbike boots, basketball sneakers, mountain boots and about 7 or 8 high quality insoles...

Actually it's a combination of a special trail sneakers.... and 2mm thick neoprene surf boots!!! IT'S SIMPLY INCREDIBLE! Thiks combination allows me to ride 35km, non stop and with no pain. No heel pain, no palmar fasciitis pain, no calf pain!

Coincidentally the only time a rode with a buddy to whom I sold my other 16x...he showed up with the same sneakers. I was surprised and he told me he never buys any other shoes for EUC and that he actually walks the Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage (the 2nd most famous catholic religious pilgrimage in Portugal) with these same sneakers.

When i tired them on at the Decathlon Outlet a month ago I couldn't believe how comfortable they were. To a point where I didn't even need to use any of my gel insoles. While I was at the store I saw, for 9€, a cheap pair of neoprene surf boots...and it made all the sense to me to buy them and try them out under my socks and with these new sneakers.

IT WORKED LIKE A MIRACLE!!! I strongly recommend this combination.

Here are the photos:

1 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

2 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

3 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

4 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

I'm still looking for a good combination that doesn't make my feet hurt or go numb after a few miles. Do you still recommend using neoprene socks?

45 minutes ago, Z-Rabbit said:

I'm still looking for a good combination that doesn't make my feet hurt or go numb after a few miles. Do you still recommend using neoprene socks?

You probably need an insole that supports your foot shape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Z-Rabbit said:

Game Changers https://fp-insoles.com

Lots of marketing hype etc. and on the expensive side, But I really like mine. Heat them in an oven and they mold to your feet. I wear them inside rock hard moto adventure boots and my feet thank me (unless my sock gets bunched up)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Game Changers https://fp-insoles.com

Lots of marketing hype etc. and on the expensive side, But I really like mine. Heat them in an oven and they mold to your feet. I wear them inside rock hard moto adventure boots and my feet thank me (unless my sock gets bunched up)

Alright, I've got a pair on the way! Here's hoping for the best! Thanks!

• Like 1

I had to basically goldilocks a ton of shoes before finding some that fit and worked for my feet. I ended up with a pair of Bilt Dexter 2 motorcycle boots/street boots. They were the cheapest shoe they had but none of the more expensive worked for me. I highly recommend just going to Cycle Gear or similar and trying on everything until you find something that works for your feet. Specifically, something that gives your forefoot and toes plenty of lateral space without being so wide that your foot slides around in the shoe.

Edited by eezo
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:16 PM, Ben Hatfield said:

I just did a ton of research on various motorcycle foot ware, because I figured with such an enormous community, there likely would be a protective motorcycle shoe that also doubles as a comfortable wearing boot.  I would say most the options were in the Adventure/Touring subsection of motorcycle foot ware, but I've been looking at Trials motorcycle boots? 

They look like a nice balance of protective, flexible, flat sole (that can be replaced at a cobbler if necessary).  Also expensive!  But I'm starting to look at riding foot ware like I look at helmets or body armor... kinda important.  If I land on a good pair, and like them, I'll be sure to share

For those who rides faster than 35-50+mph, I reccomend these Leatt 4.5 along with these knee pads. Even at low speeds having see Marty talk on YT about his ankle injury and the surgery made me look into these boots. 

I was using the Leatt Dual-axis shin knee guard, which seems to move around my knee while riding and the military high top boots I was wearing with it just didn't feel it will protect my ankles after seeing other people crash on the EUC.. But this is a good combo for me and fits like a glove. It flexes well and feel more stable with my V13. 20230916_191859.thumb.jpg.3b1be147f8584047aa9c9704b8d7bad2.jpg

Edited by Impoy47