EUC Footwear?

Key seems to be flat, hard soles with a cushioned mid-sole.Β  I tried a pair of basketball shoes tonight that seemed non-fatiguing.Β  Another thing I've learned is that I'm better using shoes that are smaller where I don't have any extra room.Β  I've tried using boots that are slightly too big and find my foot placement is affected.Β Β 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I ordered a pair of Chippewa work boots in my quest to discover the ideal EUC footwear.Β  I've been riding with a pair of Timberland chelsea boots, but am discovering that sole hardness is the #1 factor in footwear performance for EUCs.Β  I've got a pair of hard-soled winter boots that I've found are the best I've tried yet, but they're not well-suited for summer weather.Β Β 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm the only one obsessed with this topic, but wanted to update my quest for the ideal EUC footwear...

I bought a pair of Chippewa moc toe field boots with the hope that they would become my go-to choice for riding, but I don't like them for that purpose as much as I'd hoped.Β  They're awesome boots, generally, but I think the vibram soles they use might be softer than is ideal.Β  I still like a pair of Cougar winter boots best of all I've tried because of the hardness of their soles.Β Β 

I just bought a pair of Danner Light II hiking boots that I'm hoping will give me an all-season riding boot that will carry me through spring-fall.Β  They're expensive, but they have a gortex lining and are well-reviewed.Β  They use a different kind of vibram sole than the Chippewas and are said to have a spongy mid-sole that I'm hoping will give me some cushioning while riding.Β  Worst case scenario, they should make good general purpose and hiking boots.Β Β 

5 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

On what type of wheel/pedals?

Well they are just grippy in any case. Made for trail running. Very soft and grippy soles. For me they work well on the V10F rubber pedals.Β 

After looking at the previous posts and also what I quoted earlier, it seems that the shoes I wear are different than the ones posted on here.
I also can't seem to find the ones I have either. I have a Vans Sk8-Hi MTE Black Ballistic. The sides are really durable and since the shoe is leather, it is really hard to break. I've been using these shoes as an everyday shoe for over 6 months. No damage on the shoe at all. I might add a little black shoe color to it in a few weeks because the black is fading. If the sole becomes worn out I may just go get them resoled from a shoe cobbler.

These shoes have a nice flat rubber sole with the traditional Vans grip pattern. These shoes are designed to be used with the griptape that we see on some EUCs, Skateboards, and even my Dualtron. The shoe, since it's leather, has really nice weather resistance. there is a folding internal seal that follows the inside of the tongue that keeps water out like some high end boots have. The internal of the shoe is soft so long walks or long rides are easier on the feet. With constant wear I haven't damaged the inside part by the heels yet, which seem to be my personal high wear zone. The laces will need replacement soon but they are otherwise in good quality. For warmth, they seem to keep the wind out just as well as water, which leads to the next part. Breathability. It doesn't have much and it makes sense. Leather doesn't breath much. As for riding at high speeds, you don't want too much breathability either. Too much will just make your feet really cold from all the air hitting your toes.Β  I really recommend these shoes, the leather ones, for anything really.

Unfortunately, I believe they are discontinued.
vans-sk8-hi-mte-black-ballistic-va33txop

• 1 month later...

I just destroyed my lovely AdidasΒ NMD_CS2 Primeknit shoes when I took a tumble on rough concrete (it's in my company parking structure and has a deliberate texture added, presumablyΒ for grip). These are soft, sock-like shoes, and IΒ tore right through theΒ fabric.

As a beginner, I think I need something more durable. Anyone got any recommendations for something in leather?Β I don't want a boot, and they mustn't look as ugly as those Salomans!

Edited by Jon Stern

I got a pair of TCX Baja Mid motorcycle boots a couple of months ago. They have really stiff soles and great support in general. They almost completely eliminate foot pain / fatigue. It's also nice having armor on my ankles - pedal bite is a thing of the past. They're reasonably comfortable for walking short distances, and the straps/latches make them easy on/off.

https://ridetcxboots.com/products/collection/2018-collection/touring-adventure-2018-collection/baja-mid-waterproof/

Β 

Having wide flat feet, I prefer something flexible and thin to curl my toes around the pedals.

I tried thicker cushion soles boots/basketball sneakers but that kind of throws me off the wheel during an unexpected bump.

The downside of thin soles is fatigue during longer rides

On 4/20/2018 at 4:57 PM, kasenutty said:

I like skateboarding shoes myself. Harder soles than running shoes, but still a comfortable sneaker. My favorites right now are Nike Eric Koston SB Hypervulcs like this

These are really good!Β  Once I switched to the Hypervulcs I noticed an increased level of responsiveness in my turns.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My feet are a bit problematic and sensitive to shoe choice, so I’ve shopped around a bit. As noticed by others as well, a rigid flat Β sole with a highly cushioned and contoured mid-/insole would be the ideal combination. Yet to be found though.

My current love goes to Nike Air midsoles and spongy contoured insoles with heel and arch support. Airs are way too narrow to be usable without a lot of extra work, but once I got my DIY side supports staying in place and used a double-sided carpet adhesive at the bottom, these are amazing!

Compared to the best I’d found before, numbness and foot pain take twice the distance to develop. Last night I went for a 55km trail run with two short breaks. No numbness or foot pain! Since the cushioning is superb, they ease the knee pain and leg fatigue by a lot as well. I even upped the tire pressure without the traditional adverse effects.

Were I to buy new shoes right now, I’d go for high top AirsΒ if such exists.

Β 

Edit: I used to ride with motorcycle boots. They areΒ perfect regarding ankle protectionΒ and sole rigidity, but they have zero cushioning in the sole, and often the sole is curved. Not recommended.

At least some models of Vans SK8 are saidΒ to be barely cushioned at all. Otherwise it might be great.

Edited by mrelwood

I really like the Danner Light II with Kletterlift Vibram sole.Β  I figure any shoe with this particular Vibram sole would work just as well.Β  I have a pair of Chippewas with a similar looking sole, but I don't think they're the same as the Chippewa sole feels softer.Β Β 

https://www.amazon.com/Vibram-Kletterlift-Full-Sole-Replacement/dp/B00XV669PA

After buying and returning a pair of "NikeΒ SB Zoom Blazer Mid Deconstructed Men's Skateboarding Shoes" (they were too tight and they didn't have the next size up), I bought these pair of Vans high tops at the local mall:Β https://www.vans.com/shop/classic-tumble-sk8-hi-vans-black#hero=0.

"The Classic Tumble Sk8-Hi combines the legendary lace-up high top with sturdy synthetic uppers, re-enforced toecaps to withstand repeated wear, padded collars for support and flexibility, and signature rubber waffle outsoles."

I tried them on a few-mileΒ ride this evening, and I like them. No foot ache for this beginner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 11:42 PM, Jon Stern said:

After buying and returning a pair of "NikeΒ SB Zoom Blazer Mid Deconstructed Men's Skateboarding Shoes" (they were too tight and they didn't have the next size up), I bought these pair of Vans high tops at the local mall:Β https://www.vans.com/shop/classic-tumble-sk8-hi-vans-black#hero=0.

"The Classic Tumble Sk8-Hi combines the legendary lace-up high top with sturdy synthetic uppers, re-enforced toecaps to withstand repeated wear, padded collars for support and flexibility, and signature rubber waffle outsoles."

I tried them on a few-mileΒ ride this evening, and I like them. No foot ache for this beginner.

Those look so flashy. I like it, but would never wear it.

• 9 months later...

Just bought these DC's water resistant skate bootΒ and they feel amazing. Super grippy, plus good ankle protection. Plus I feel as if I have way more control, was even able to ride backwards easier. Didn't ride for long, so idk how they are for a long ride. However, I'm trying out powerstep comfortlast insoles once they get delivered.Β 

Will report back after trying the insoles with the DC's.

If interested I'll try a long ride with regular insoles too.

$10 shoes,Β  grippy, firm laterally, flexible longitudinalIy forΒ intimate feel of the wheel.

Have helped me develop strong and sensitive feet.

Saw this used by kingsong riders.

I use a less tight version for long rides.

Β 

Β 

shoes monowheel.jpg

Β 

shoes mon.png

Β 

Edited by pico

My best ride comfort is in Merrell Jungle moc like these but they get hot in summer time.Β 

MRLM2-J63815W-020116-S04-HERO?wid=790&he

So I bought these, extremely grippy, as if spiked to pedals, however still hot and it fits different (not yet used to these yet) Merrell Jungle Moc XX AC+ (look great with my mc suitπŸ˜‰)Β 

MRLM-J97601-052918-S19-HERO?wid=790&hei=

I have a set of Puma skater boots to, fairly grippy too but not as comfy. (don't have a pic right now). I know princess feet πŸ˜”πŸ‘‘

The black/midnight blue Merrells feels like they were body painted upon my feet. They help to absorb some minor bumps so I don't have to feel it in my knees as much, yet firm feeling and in control.Β