New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

I noticed the same feeling as that0n3guy. It doesn't feel like the motor is throttled while accelerating; it feels like I can't get enough leverage on the pedals to push it harder. If I jump on the tips of the pedals, it will accelerate quickly. Obviously, that's not a viable way to ride outside of fooling around.

Regarding the "bug" that I had: I want to be clear that the wheel tilted back severely, but slowly enough that I was able to safely stop and dismount. I did not feel like I was in danger, even though that behavior was unexpected.

Regarding the range, I don't think it's that far off, really. The manual says they get their 60mi or whatever max range with a 150lb rider going 10mph on flat ground (probably without any stopping) at ideal temperature blah blah blah. I'm a lot heavier than that, had gear on, was carrying groceries for one leg of the trip, was going much faster, stopping constantly (experimenting with foot pedal settings and such, playing around with the acceleration), and doing some off-roading and hill climbing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

14 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

OK, just came back from some braking tests this morning.  To my surprise, I have to eat my words.  The braking is on par with the 18S not much worse.  But I could consistently get the same braking on the 18S.  After more tries on the V10F, I was able to get mostly the same result.  Sometimes it is off by 2-3 feet longer. 

Testing was to get going at 15mph then doing braking as hard as I could, I got about 19 feet braking distance for both V10F and 18S.  So it isn't any worse than the KS18S in braking.  Wonder why it feels like it is slower in braking.  But the V10F is 2kw motor vs 1.5kw, also smaller, 17" vs 19", so you would think it should brake harder.  Adjusting the peddle feel did nothing.

The interesting thing is when I did the same testing with the KS16, not S, I was able to consistently do 2-3 feet shorter on the same run from 15mph.  I also noticed the negative current generated by the KS16 was twice that of the KS18S.  20amps vs 10amps.  That explains why it was braking harder.  I don't have a view into the current on the V10F so I cannot compare.

Thanks for making that valuable test! That is indeed a good pîece of news. The 3 foot difference, which can be critical I agree when braking, is probably partially due to the weight difference between the KS16 and the V10F.

Edited by Fastmike

6 minutes ago, soulson said:

Regarding the "bug" that I had: I want to be clear that the wheel tilted back severely, but slowly enough that I was able to safely stop and dismount. I did not feel like I was in danger, even though that behavior was unexpected.

Regarding the range, I don't think it's that far off, really. The manual says they get their 60mi or whatever max range with a 150lb rider going 10mph on flat ground (probably without any stopping) at ideal temperature blah blah blah. I'm a lot heavier than that, had gear on, was carrying groceries for one leg of the trip, was going much faster, stopping constantly (experimenting with foot pedal settings and such, playing around with the acceleration), and doing some off-roading and hill climbing.

Thanks for the clarification about the 'bug' story! That I feel better   ?

About the range, not too sure. I understand your point but 42km seem a little bit short. Will see with more conservative driving. :w00t2:

7 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

OK, just came back from some braking tests this morning.  To my surprise, I have to eat my words.  The braking is on par with the 18S not much worse.  But I could consistently get the same braking on the 18S.  After more tries on the V10F, I was able to get mostly the same result.  Sometimes it is off by 2-3 feet longer. 

Testing was to get going at 15mph then doing braking as hard as I could, I got about 19 feet braking distance for both V10F and 18S.  So it isn't any worse than the KS18S in braking.  Wonder why it feels like it is slower in braking.  But the V10F is 2kw motor vs 1.5kw, also smaller, 17" vs 19", so you would think it should brake harder.  Adjusting the peddle feel did nothing.

The interesting thing is when I did the same testing with the KS16, not S, I was able to consistently do 2-3 feet shorter on the same run from 15mph.  I also noticed the negative current generated by the KS16 was twice that of the KS18S.  20amps vs 10amps.  That explains why it was braking harder.  I don't have a view into the current on the V10F so I cannot compare.

Look at this angle to hard break 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Speculating on the problems of acceleration and braking of the v10f I can not forget my experience with pedal unicycles, specifically a 29 "with short cranks that used when I wanted to increase my speed and pedaling autonomy. This combination of long wheel radius and short pedal multiplies the distance traveled by the wheel every pedal which increases the speed by reducing the number of pedals per distance traveled. This at the same time makes acceleration and braking more difficult, forcing the pilot to move a greater amount of his weight on the pedal to achieve the desired effect.
After this dissertation I go to the case of the v10, although it is far from the 29 "follows the same progression of speed and acceleration than the previous case, by raising its pedals shortens the length of the connecting rod to the wheel axis with which reduces the power with which our weight affects the wheel when we move it from its center, an effect that is further reduced when we find ourselves with a larger wheel radius.

but the pedals on the v10f are longer so that may cancel out the negative effects of the shorter rod?

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

but the pedals on the v10f are longer so that may cancel out the negative effects of the shorter rod?

No, I think @Demargon are speaking of the distance between the axe and the platform peddle.

By the same way, on a bicycle, if your crank are short, it's harder to climb a hill

5 minutes ago, Dany Slx said:

No, I think @Demargon are speaking of the distance between the axe and the platform peddle.

By the same way, on a bicycle, if your crank are short, it's harder to climb a hill

right, but there are two levers.  one is the crank, the is the pedal, on bike it is rotating, on EUC is fixed, that is how you exert force on the shaft.  if you have a short pedal, it would be harder to put force to rotate.

3 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

right, but there are two levers.  one is the crank, the is the pedal, on bike it is rotating, on EUC is fixed, that is how you exert force on the shaft.  if you have a short pedal, it would be harder to put force to rotate.

On bike, you exert a force on the peddle's axe, not on a wheel. 

I think this is the reason the V10's peddles are so big, you need to exert your force on the border of the platform.

So the difference with other wheels, the distance to exert the force from the point to break and the point to accelerate is longer on the V10/F. Your foot don't move but you use your heel and your toes to exert the force. On other wheels, with a longer crank, it's easier.

It's just a theory of cours ?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Thanks @Rehab1, yes I turned the wheel on the side and studied the problem with a flashlight, and can not see where it's rubbing. I have a feeling its in the motor or axle.

Im noticing its awfully quiet lately from the Inmotion representatives, quite the contrary when they were available every minute during the drip-drab roll out campaign.?

Thanks for the video. You definately have a rubbing or bearing issue unless some object like a wiring harness clamp or shroud came loose inside. Hopefully @Bobwheel and @Jeffrey Scott Will will respond immediately. I’m frustrated for you!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dany Slx said:

Look at this angle to hard break 

image.png.9a3d89a4da12a193f52b63b8a2fc5881.png

This video shows what I'm talking about.   His feet are soo far back on those peddles that he is breaking with his toes off the peddles and putting as much pressure as possible on the outside edge of the peddle.

Everyone keeps talking about 

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

by raising its pedals shortens the length of the connecting rod to the wheel axis with which reduces the power with which our weight

Your talking about moment force (http://www.learneasy.info/MDME/MEMmods/MEM30005A/moments/Moments.html) also known as torque.   What your saying may be correct, but I'm not sure it matters for 2 reasons.   The length of the peddle should help compensate.  Here is my diagram :) :

image.thumb.png.2150bc2734e2eb1d64c3666240410dea.png

But, my drawing above doesn't matter because its electronic... who cares what the force is on the peddle... the electronics could just react differently and create the same acceleration result.   We have an code problem, not a force problem.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Thanks @Rehab1, yes I turned the wheel on the side and studied the problem with a flashlight, and can not see where it's rubbing. I have a feeling its in the motor or axle.

Im noticing its awfully quiet lately from the Inmotion representatives, quite the contrary when they were available every minute during the drip-drab roll out campaign.?

This is the exact same scraping sound that my wheel was making! I posted about it earlier, but mine didn't start making this sound until about 10 miles into my first ride and it came back intermittently throughout my ride. Currently, it is not making the sound and I'm hoping it doesn't come back. Someone earlier in this thread had a similar scraping sound and tore down his wheel and found it to be a motor bearing issue.

You should reach out to whoever you purchased your wheel from for support. It's a better method than these forums.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

‘He’, as in me.

Ha, I didn't know that was you!    I've been messing with different foot placement lately.    I tried something similar to yours yesterday, I felt like it was great for fast breaking, but sucked for acceleration.    Maybe i'm used to the squishy 14c... but I feel like if I lean forward really hard, the peddles should tip with my feet almost so my toes/heals can't lift off.   The might have other negative issues with it though I've not discovered.

52 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

For acceleration, I'll use only one foot and move it up the pedal to press & accelerate, while my other foot hangs back.

so left foot back and right foot forward for example?   So you accelerate with right foot mostly and break with left foot mostly?   Seems like that would make it hard to turn hard right but easy to turn hard left... but maybe not. I'll have to try it.

Edited by that0n3guy

1 hour ago, beast@tanagra said:

A selfie-stick video of your feet while you perform some of these examples and talk us through your decision making would be really freakin' cool.

Not very easy, but I’ll try to figure out how to film that!

• Like 2