Begode Master 134V 2400WH Suspension

onkeldanuel

If you pause the video and drag the bar around you can see the clip more clearly. He gets a little air and comes down a little off angle. Maybe the suspension hurt him there by lowering the pedals into the ground on landing. Broken ribs even with the heavy duty chest protector on sucks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eucner said:

Ouch, that's sad to hear. Hopefully he isn't in pain. The S22 pedal clearance could have saved him.

He will have trouble breathing for the next two weeks with agonizing pain with each inhale and exhale.

“Could of” right.

• Sad 2

oof. I dread the day when that happens to me. It's coming though, like a thief in the night.

Chance uses a tether when he's in the mountains—I think this shows why it's valuable... the wheel didn't roll down the hill. I'm going to have to get me one. Towwee is his brand I believe.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Chance uses a tether when he's in the mountains—I think this shows why it's valuable... the wheel didn't roll down the hill. I'm going to have to get me one. Towwee is his brand I believe.

Chance originally used the brand TowWhee, but has now switched to another brand called Cibi, I believe.  I bought a TowWhee on his recommendation some time ago and have just started using it even on the tame trails I ride, finding it invaluable today with one or two drops down the side of embankments!

His New favourite can be found on Amazon following this link: Amazon.com: Cibi Tow Rope for Bicycle: Extra Strong Bike Towing Strap with Loops for Pulling Child's Bike on Long Cycling Treks, 4.6 Foot Bungee Cord Stretches up to 15 Feet, Break Resistant to 4000 Lbs.

The original TowWhee like mine, that he used to use is also on Amazon on this link: TOWWHEE - The Original Bike Bungee Tow Rope Now for Adults | MTB & Cycling Stretch Pull Strap for Riding Further with Your Friends | Compatible with Any Bicycle : Sports & Outdoors (amazon.com)

After today's experience, I'm now considering using it even on my street wheel rides more so for pedestrian/oncoming traffic safety!

Edited by fbhb

2 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

What video?

If you are referring to Chance's video, it was posted on the previous page, but also linked below:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, EMA said:

if you are not heavy or do crazy jump probably the stock will works nice, but i agree...it's a hobby :D

I plan to do crazy jumps ;) So yeah. I would like some alternmatives to the stock one that seems to bottom out just but doin a few stairs. 

9 minutes ago, zeroSIXzero said:

I plan to do crazy jumps ;) So yeah. I would like some alternmatives to the stock one that seems to bottom out just but doin a few stairs. 

s22small.png.c9ccbb6762708dee139121b74fe5f166.png

I kid I kid 😂😂

• Like 1

Yeah, the stock shock isn't progressive enough for most riders. Probably okay for the tiny riders that tested in China though 🤦🏻‍♂️ The King Song's progressive linkage design is really great since it let's you utilize a more linear spring rate on the shock, but the Begode Master's linkage has a nearly linear design, so the progressive spring rate has to come from the shock itself. Unfortunately that means unless you want a really stiff suspension and/or have very little sag, coils likely won't be a great fit. So to get the best out of the suspension, it's going to take some playing around with air shocks. Leave it to Begode to have its customers do the final engineering work 🙄

The stock shock really needs a smaller air volume, and I highly doubt volume spacers exist for it. Might need to just fill the can a bit with some thick grease or something... Pumping the pressure higher may help reduce bottom outs, but it also reduces your sag, which affects suspension effectiveness and makes you ride so high up.
There are some good summaries here about adjusting shock volume: Higher Education: Volume Spacers and Spring Curves - Beta MTB

The really over-simplified tldr; dial in shock pressure to set your preferred sag, and dial in positive chamber volume to set how much of the travel you use (i.e. reduce bottom outs by reducing the volume).

Do we actually know the eye-to-eye and stroke measurements? I'd love to look at the possibilities, too, but haven't seen a consensus.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Upvote 1

Hehe.
I had the S20 on pre-order until 1 week ago... to do a Master order. But now I do not know again. AAAAAAgh.

But two (and a half) things made me cancel. The oil resorvoir on s22 will brake. Master seems more protected. And the slidersystem. I ride in mud often. Master has better sliders as far as I can tell.

Half reason is of course torque, but I suspect the s22 would have what I need anyway. Used to MSX84.... and that one is NOT enough. But surely the s22 is better?
Anyway.. All in all the Master seems better for my needs. Except jumping and dropping? 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

Do we actually know the eye-to-eye and stroke measurements? I'd love to look at the possibilities, too, but haven't seen a consensus.

There's a post on FB that fitted a 190mm eye to eye shock into the master. The person I talked to was trying out a 750 lb spring (EXA 291R Coil Shock) but they were saying that the spring rate was way too light for them and gave them 50% sag at standing. He was 172 ungeared. Kind of concerning since I (at 135lbs ungeared) was planning to use a 650lb spring on the same EXA shock, but now it's starting to sound like I need a 850 or 1000 rate spring. I guess I should wait until my wheel actually arrives so I can try out the air shock. I just have a pretty bad experience with air shocks starting to leak and I'm not sure if the begode stock air shock is going to fair any better...

3 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

There's a post on FB that fitted a 190mm eye to eye shock into the master. The person I talked to was trying out a 750 lb spring (EXA 291R Coil Shock) but they were saying that the spring rate was way too light for them and gave them 50% sag at standing. He was 172 ungeared. Kind of concerning since I (at 135lbs ungeared) was planning to use a 650lb spring on the same EXA shock, but now it's starting to sound like I need a 850 or 1000 rate spring. I guess I should wait until my wheel actually arrives so I can try out the air shock. I just have a pretty bad experience with air shocks starting to leak and I'm not sure if the begode stock air shock is going to fair any better...

my guess is that we will need to find a quality replacement for the stock shock to avoid leakage issues long-term. I have never done MTB riding so I dont have much experience with those shocks, but I know that with motorcycles when you have a high end suspension that is used heavily on the track you have to rebuild it more often. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that if you dont do huge jumps on your EUC that shock will live longer (have a longer rebuild interval) because you arent stressing it as much as doing massive jumps and landing with full weight on it. My guess does not account for heat buildup from continuous fast-paced shock action. It will be interesting to see how many miles a quality air shock can do on an EUC before needing service.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:27 PM, Paradox said:

Chance on the Master.  Re-broke ribs.

I asked him in a FaceBook comment if the hanger or battery packs hit instead of the pedals (also to make sure no pack got damaged)
He checked and it looks like the hit was against the pedal hanger, which would have caught the rock. It makes sense since a pedal clip would have led to faster rotation.

279638474_714017083347970_45457714239143

I guess it could be useful to have some kind of plate here so the pedal hanger would slide instead of getting snagged.

Edited by supercurio

20 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

but the Begode Master's linkage has a nearly linear design, so the progressive spring rate has to come from the shock itself. Unfortunately that means unless you want a really stiff suspension and/or have very little sag, coils likely won't be a great fit. 

I read this and immediately thought 'progressive spring' which are readily available, if a little expensive.

19 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

The person I talked to was trying out a 750 lb spring

....but then I read this and thought 'holy cow'. Thats a beefy spring, which might put a spanner in the works. I don't think many (if any) MTB springs go above that, let alone progressive versions.

Seems an awful lot to me, even taking into account that MTB share the load with the front. Are we 100% confident that a 750lb spring really isn't enough?!

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Seems an awful lot to me, even taking into account that MTB share the load with the front. Are we 100% confident that a 750lb spring really isn't enough?!

To be fair, this is a sample size of one. I haven't found other people that have tried coil shocks on their masters yet other than this one individual, so the information is all single source. I know that the EXA 291R does have springs in many different rates, including 850, 1000, 1500, and I think they even had a 1750 and a 1250. But I am also pretty sure that they are not progressive springs. Options here may be limited, especially since it's hard to find 190mm coil shocks that don't have a piggy back oil chamber. I'm pretty sure it would be easier to find an air shock with the desired features people are looking for.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I read this and immediately thought 'progressive spring' which are readily available, if a little expensive.

Are we 100% confident that a 750lb spring really isn't enough?!

I'd potentially be willing to try a 650lb spring on the Master to see how the sag would be. I'm ~165-170 pounds fully geared. Folks may also be putting really heavy springs on to avoid bottoming out (not an approach I agree with, but I understand the thought process there.)

Eevees said they were bottoming out a 750lb spring just by standing on it (timestamped):

Edited by redfoxdude

I'm starting to wonder if Gotway designed their own air shock because the cheap ones available on the market does not have high enough spring rate because they were designed for bike applications.

In that case it might be worth trying to improve the original shock like adding volume spacers and higher viscosity fluid. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, conecones said:

I'm starting to wonder if Gotway designed their own air shock because the cheap ones available on the market does not have high enough spring rate because they were designed for bike applications.

In that case it might be worth trying to improve the original shock like adding volume spacers and higher viscosity fluid. 

Since they already decided to use a shock linkage system, they would have total control over the leverage ratio. It would not make sense for them to custom make a shock when they didn't need to.