Begode Master 134V 2400WH Suspension

54 minutes ago, Timwheel said:

Do you think I should be worried about bearings dying after that short excursion in the water, or any other significant damage ? Thanks !

Yes, probably. It'll be alright for a coupla days, and then if you've been unlucky the grinding will commence as rust starts to appear on the bearings...

You could maybe save them now, before tey rust if you hoiked that wheel out, opened up the bearing covers (no hub opening necessary), thoroughly swabbed the balls and the gaps between them, and fill with LiquiMoly Marine grease ?

Or you may have got away with it. Alas, if you leave it, and haven't, then it'll be new bearings time, which is much more of a PITA to sort out....

I ride my master through puddles but nothing anywhere near deep enough to get up by the bearings...

12 hours ago, Timwheel said:

Hello guys !

I went through a small flood in Paris today. 10m max of depth up to the pedals at walking pace. I rode then about 10km home, going 60+ kph most of the way and had a very steep hill to finish. The motor heated enough so that the wheel was dry when I arrived and with the centrifugal force it seems the water did not make any ingress. It's a master V2, never had any issues at 3300km riding fairly hard in Paris' bad roads, used it under very heavy rain from time to time with no specific care, except I did replace the thermal pad by some pretty good thermal paste, making it run just ambiant +10°C indicated.

Do you think I should be worried about bearings dying after that short excursion in the water, or any other significant damage ? Thanks !

don't worry just ride, bearings issues are lucky related ;)

Ahah I think I'll do that. I'm pretty sure I did worse a few months back and didn't think any of it..
I bought a KS18L refresh with the 2200w motor for shorter trips and multimodal commute. It still seems to be the lighest 18 incher out there, with very good reliability, waterproofing, low weight, good cut out switch etc... I had a ks16x that I loved (had a tire with very thin wall, it felt so mushy !), sold it but now I intend to keep a "doomsday wheel" for when my master gives up and when I just don't want to gear up as much (I'll still wear a helmet and motorcycle gloves, but maybe not full face and motorcycle jacket). I have a KS14D  for very small trips but it feels dangerous, it is impossible not to overlean it accidentally :(

I'll keep you updated about my bearings, but it seems my master is golden, 3300km and not a single issue still ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timwheel said:

I'll keep you updated about my bearings, but it seems my master is golden, 3300km and not a single issue still ...

It's nice to know that someone, somewhere is getting that sort of experience :)

I'll say this very quietly in case it's listening, but I too am going through a highly enjoyable period of 'Master reliability', but mine's a bit overdue that, given the many and various problems I've had with mine in the first year ! Still hasn't dropped me though, and trust in it remains high, as, unfortunately, so do my pedals, which still fucks me up in the wind, but I do like being that tall when it's not blowing a gale. I think that's what stops me ordering lower pedal hangers. That, and relief at having the CST knobby back on there after a highly sketchy week on a street tyre...

I have a CST street tire from factory and I adore it. It still looks brand new as I pump it to 40 psi. Great handling, never skipped on me and very easy to curve with it.
The only thing that also bothered me was the pedal height, but it feels nice to be in traffic high, you can also go near sidewalks in Paris and not touch them if you remain untilted. It justs feels that unmounting that thing is taking a bit more effort, but I'm so used to it I don't even think about it.

I am short-ish (1m77) but quite heavy (88kgs naked) and wind is still a concern when it's really blowing. I just sit on it at slow speed like 35/40 km/h and minimize my exposure.

Roger answered my question:

Pedal height means your bearings were getting hit with water. Not that water was being pushed into them. There is a ton of air space in the motor. Put it under water and the air pressure inside is less then outside... that when the water makes its move. You should be good if your bearings were halfway good.

I guess I'll remain optimistic then :)

Edited by Timwheel