V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

This is worse than the Abrams cutout from hard braking.  Rider weight and speed does not play much of an issue with these V12 cutouts.  Any bump in the road can cause the wheel to go out.  :efeeab781c:

I ride a V12 to work daily.  Speed is around 15kph.  I have only used the Inmotion app once to calibrate the wheel.  Never updated.   Changed the pedal angle and disabled assist mode using the touch screen on the wheel.  

Can a specific wheel setting on the app increase/reduce the chance of a cutout?

4 hours ago, Flying W said:

Yes, I think we could use a splash of cold water on the face mixed with some humor :D

Hmm... this is a tough one to make comedy from. I'll have to think about it. Easy enough to rant as my usual, but even Captain obvious would probably skip this one(but I won't).

Whats REALLY funny, is you could flip a coin to find out if its build quality or design related. At this point in the euc innovations, I think its simply wonderful to use coins for diagnositcs. I got a jar of pennies waiting and dey be da real onez...

At least its failure conditions are not commonly encountered. I mean geez, why would you expect to be able to travel at reasonable speed margins AND hit road imperfections? If you see a pebble, freaking walk it! The next version will have a better trolley handle, to help 'remedy' the issue. A screen will notify you of the prescense of rocks and/or cracks in the pavement.

Hasnt someone already figured out how to make an euc not do this? I would think there are some things you would kind of focus on first, THEN add the icing on after. Im just speaking out my a** tho, as Im an 18XL rider and my Sherman somehow works. Simply incredbible I know...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Specifically relating to the form submissions (the first post claims there's 12 submissions, but the public results only show 7 submissions, 3 of which are for the 2 from Indonesia?)

Looks like you're having some trouble understanding the spreadsheet, which contains three tables- form submissions, compiled data, and a sheet of graphs. They should appear as tabs at the bottom of the website, and the 'compiled data' tab has all the data we've been able to gather from various sources.

1 hour ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

In this case, I'd suggest to the authors of this form capture supplier and location (country) like @Gixxerrequested earlier on. The EUC community is understandably passionate when failures appear in new units, given it's our safety and health involved. But at the same time there's a significant overreaction in this community regarding anything that can be perceived as negative and it results in a rumor/chinese whisper mill of gigantic proportions.

It's a community effort! It'd be awesome if you'd reach out and gather more information, especially if you think of new angles 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fbhb said:

And will the field workers withstand a voltage of, say, 110V under heavy braking? We really hope that Inmotion has calculated all this."

Breakdown voltage value is just a guarantee if one stays below - so depending on the specific mosfet it could already short curcuit at 100.01V ..

Definitely not a wanted design that could withstand reality.

If that's really the cause it's interesting that as rumoured only 10% broke down according to one reseller. So there seems to be some safety margin, at least for the one batch of mosfets that was used...

• Like 1

@Chriull

How can braking generate a higher voltage than is used in the motor? 

If that were to happen then regeneration of brake energy could go over battery/cell charge rating. Or did I get my head around this wrongly? 

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

@Chriull

How can braking generate a higher voltage than is used in the motor? 

The inverter is used as a step up converter to charge the batteries.

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

If that were to happen then regeneration of brake energy could go over battery/cell charge rating. Or did I get my head around this wrongly? 

Imho there should be enough spikes by swtching (pwm) so no special regen or other mode should be needed...

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 1:05 PM, Richardo said:

Hey all I figured it'd be worth tracking the v12 cutouts in one thread so we don't have to dig to ponder it. 

Here is a form to let us know if this happened to you

Here is a link to the tracking spreadsheet

If you want to be an editor and track down missing details or add new events, DM me and let me know, otherwise I'll add stuff I find here or things people post in this thread.

Entries so far:

1. Richardo's
  2. Brandon Lott's
  3. Conecones's
  4. Revolvingrider's
  5. Chester Copperpot's
  6. Don M. Schiewer's
  7. Kerberos's
  8. Teeo's
  9. Gixxer's
  10. Om moped's
  11. petranodon's
  12. Winter's (see spreadsheet for story, winter hasn't written it up anywhere, but submitted the form)

Possible Cause

I've gathered some of the info on riding mode and split mode and entered it, still missing a few responses I'm waiting on, could you update the form to ask for this?

Clearly the problem is in power MOSFETs. When choosing power MOSFETs to DC motor, we choose power MOSFETs that are rated for at least the power supply voltage and the maximum current the motor requires. But that is not all, there is more than that. When we design something, we leave a margin. In different fields of engineering, the margin can even be double. In the field of electronics, we must make sure that power MOSFETs drain-to-source voltage rating (VDS) is at least 20% higher than the supply voltage.

Inmotion V10, V10F and V11 system voltage is 84V and all these are using IPP023N10N5 100V power MOSFETs. As you see, the 20% margin has already been included. Now let’s talk about the V12. Inmotion V12 system voltage is 100.8V and it is using these same power MOSFETs which are in the V10, V10F and V11. Clearly a big mistake has been made in choosing the correct power MOSFETs. It's only a matter of time before poorly chosen power MOSFETs fail.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Clearly the problem is in power MOSFETs. When choosing power MOSFETs to DC motor, we choose power MOSFETs that are rated for at least the power supply voltage and the maximum current the motor requires. But that is not all, there is more than that. When we design something, we leave a margin. In different fields of engineering, the margin can even be double. In the field of electronics, we must make sure that power MOSFETs drain-to-source voltage rating (VDS) is at least 20% higher than the supply voltage.

Inmotion V10, V10F and V11 system voltage is 84V and all these are using IPP023N10N5 100V power MOSFETs. As you see, the 20% margin has already been included. Now let’s talk about the V12. Inmotion V12 system voltage is 100.8V and it is using these same power MOSFETs which are in the V10, V10F and V11. Clearly a big mistake has been made in choosing the correct power MOSFETs. It's only a matter of time before poorly chosen power MOSFETs fail.

Is it only I who thinks that a vehicle like the EUC, which depends so much on the electronics to ensure the safety of the rider, should have not only at least 50% margin in electronic components but also be redundant?? In aviation it is an absolute must for flight systems. Even in cars producers must provide double redundancy for brakes with a good margin for both (if someone knows the value in the industry please share here, it would be important as a guide). In an EUC the motor is not only the thing it keeps rider upright but also the only brake. You can die from a crash at 70km/h or 43mph, or even less speed than that, or you could suffer serious injuries. That is the reason I thought is a good idea to start the topic of a Standard of Quality for EUCs made by us, the riders, so we can hold the producers accountable for a certain level of quality, though it probably should be named a Code of Manufacturing after some thought. It also resonates with other trends about the same subject begun by other concerned users on the forum. The fact that in EU there is already a standard for EUCs it is a very good thing. But can it ensure the level of safety we need? More so tends to be prohibitive to new capabilities and level of performance that changes very fast with the fast pace technology.