V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

7 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

I’m planning on testing my V12 Saturday when I’m back in the city, however this entire run around seems pointless and silly as we are always going to lack confidence in our wheel if we pass the test. Trust and confidence is everything in this sport. Why is Inmotion not just doing a total recall on all of our control boards?  Case closed, no monkey tests.

Totally agree, sod that. No way I could put trust in the V12 at the moment. I wouldn't even want a go on one.

So people have been advised to run the test 10 times. What if it happens on the 11th?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Could Inmotion use V11 control board(s) to replace the V12 control boards?

Is that possible, would it work?

No.. it's not the same.

They could probably use the boards from the new HT model.

• Like 1

I do hope that when a V12 passes this test that it is safe to ride.  I do not hope we start hearing of wheels that passed this test only to fail in real world riding.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

But it certainly is looking like the part just isn't up to the job as hinted by its negative design margin as a 100V part so it's absolutely valid to skip the microscope and jump to that conclusion.

This. :thumbup:

And just to confirm, a quote from Cecily from Inmotion:
"Theoretically it’s should be better to solder higher rated mosfet, but in reality there are a lot more to consider to make sure the selected model a good fit for the system, so we don’t recommend to do that at this moment"

Either they find a suitable replacement for the mosfet, or they will redesign the boards for the next batches.

I have also got a response on what Inmotion is pushing to sellers as a reason for failure:

So far they said that the issue came from the change of the MOSFET provider for their production. The defective ones will have to be replaced and they will probably take measures to fix the problem during the production of the next batches. 
That's all we know so far.

Since we know that they are using the same MOSFETs as on their 84V wheels, it is very unlikely they would have another provider for the exact same product {same manufacturer, same model)

• Like 1

Inmotion - about us.  Our story.

Inspired by their win at the RoboCup 2007 Competition in China, INMOTION was founded by a technical team with experience in robotics and vehicle dynamics. 

_____

How is it possible that the engineers of Inmotion haven't thought in the same manner as Tawpie's post above......especially in having sufficient margin to reduce the risk of a cutout to an acceptable level...testing to destruction....

They've been making EUC's for years, accumulating experience all the while.

Yes, replacing a poorly designed board with another of the same design, not really a solution at all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rolis said:

I have seen from pictures that the V12 has 12 Mosfet? I have no idea what configuration they are in, so its hard to tell

That's the bldc driver (inverter) with 3 H Bridges - 6 "switches". Each switch is made of 2 paralleled mosfets.

Imho paralleling is "easier" to bear more current as putting in series to bear more voltage. Especially as higher voltage models are easily available...

• Like 1