V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

Totally agree, tolerance needs to be higher, to restore confidence now. This data was available since IM released the wheel and testers/reviews units didn't have any issues even pushing the wheels to the edge, somehow IM managed to handle the same tolerance before? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

IMHO, wait for the replacement boards. They should have a number of differences including stronger MOSFET and likely the same as V12 HT boards.

It's very probable that only those with broken wheels/boards will get replacement boards, in that case just waiting is not an option if your wheel is in working order. :( 

1 minute ago, FidoUK said:

Totally agree, tolerance needs to be higher, to restore confidence now. This data was available since IM released the wheel and testers/reviews units didn't have any issues even pushing the wheels to the edge, somehow IM managed to handle the same tolerance before? 

We typically don't know if early testers or reviewers had cutouts or burned MOSFETs, especially for pre-versions.
That's usually something they would report to the manufacturer they have a relationship with, but not publicly.
That'll depend how much this person is willing to risk the relationship in exchange of transparency. And for pre-prod models, that might not even be relevant. 

One reviewer reported MOSFET failure where the wheel should have protected itself, like when @Jack ex-KS tested the V12 on a steep climb and it failed. In this case, Inmotion answered they would look into it. However we know today that instead even more fragile wheels were mass produced later on

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

It's very probable that only those with broken wheels/boards will get replacement boards, in that case just waiting is not an option if your wheel is in working order. :( 

And that would be a disaster, since after a successful stress test, the only way to receive a robust replacement board would be by crashing first.

In my opinion the only two acceptable option would be

1. Recall of all wheels (best, costly)
  2. Voluntary recall, with board replacement of all wheels for whomever requested it (people less informed will still crash, cheaper)
  3. Replace only the burned boards either during stress testing or by user cutout (not acceptable)

• Like 1

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-buyer-protection

Paypal.

Shop with confidence.

Ensure you get what you pay for with Buyer Protection.

If your order is significantly different to the seller’s description or doesn’t arrive, you have 180 days to file a dispute. It could be that the event you bought a ticket for was cancelled, you didn’t receive everything you bought, or the item was defective, damaged or counterfeit. We can protect you for the full purchase price plus shipping costs, up to $20,000 per item.

To help protect your purchase, make sure you:

• Pay with PayPal
  • Keep your account in good standing (so don’t dispute everything!)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Paul A said:

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-buyer-protection

Paypal.

Shop with confidence.

Ensure you get what you pay for with Buyer Protection.

If your order is significantly different to the seller’s description or doesn’t arrive, you have 180 days to file a dispute. It could be that the event you bought a ticket for was cancelled, you didn’t receive everything you bought, or the item was defective, damaged or counterfeit. We can protect you for the full purchase price plus shipping costs, up to $20,000 per item.

To help protect your purchase, make sure you:

• Pay with PayPal
  • Keep your account in good standing (so don’t dispute everything!)

Maybe if you bought directly from inmotion to put the squeeze where it belongs. Otherwise you're just hurting your dealer. In a niche hobby like this you'd be burning one of only a few bridges available. 

Best to just communicate with your dealer and work it out. That's what Paypal would do anyway with buyer protection; they just use the funds as collateral to ensure everyone plays nice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

Fortunately, EUC's do have current-limiting logic in their controls, including direct measurement of motor current.

The more I think about it the more I doubt of the reaction time of their current limiting algorithm. Judging by the test they propose. This is a reaction time test( can it survive the disturbance without failing) and not a load test (with full carpet burns!).

The way I see it: sometimes it does not see well enough a surge in current (when braking) and poof! This seems to happen irrespective of battery voltage.

BTW they possibly (pure speculation of my part!)  corrected their algorithm also in the V10F and suddenly on a PROVEN design they are popping Mosfets like crazy!  On a 84V wheel!

Interesting! 

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pico said:

reaction time of their current limiting algorithm

Are you implying that there is some basic feedback loop that dictates current judging by tilt angle and then there is a sophisticated but slow high-level algorithm that watches over the basic one and tries to intervene if the current gets too high? 

I thought all EUCs function in the same way: there is one single algorithm which takes into account everything: tilt, speed, acceleration, temperatures, currents, voltages etc at any given moment and perhaps also the recent history of those values so it can better adjust dynamically. So, there would be a single "mind" inside the EUC that decides on optimal current every moment. With the speed of modern CPUs there seems to be enough time to run a non-trivial algorithm even between each pulse of the PWM! Or am I getting it completely wrong?

edit:typo

Edited by yoos

33 minutes ago, yoos said:

basic one and tries to intervene if the current gets too high

In essence you are not wrong.

This is low level (or should be). Can be implemented in hardware or software or both. 

The idea is whatever the main loop is doing (to keep you balanced) one should limit the current drawn by the 3 phase bridge driving the motor. (any multiple of 6 Mosfets) 

Failure to do so will result in unwanted high current that can kill the Mosfets.

If you are not diligent enough also kill in order the fuse and/or the batteries (ask Gotway). Depending on design choices. :roflmao:

Quite a few safeguards in a wheel.

This is the order I would like things to fail.

Warning and or tilt back/Shut down by overcurrent protection/Fuse/Mosfets/Traces - battery cables - phase cables

Edited by pico

1 hour ago, yoos said:

there is some basic feedback loop that dictates current judging by tilt angle and then there is a sophisticated but slow high-level algorithm that watches over the basic one and tries to intervene if the current gets too high

That summary is correct.

A simplification of the self-balancing controller is:

AM-JKLUagm85a-SimaE5wNN7J2XopOzNdlKeYZ0zbTVuB8coA1W7KtfSztg0o-zvqJdX0erGpv2avKNro6Ev0EYc-Q96fpqft5awVXV8O3pUBzYvOPzVzcUH1O98ekeEepACRI4x7IPaF4BQlRRS93_PM1zMqQ=w900-h432-no?authuser=1

In real systems (like EUCs) we add more logic before the "Motors" element, to limit the "Controller Output" (FET drive command) according to protection criteria such as 'too much current'...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

self-balancing controller

If I understand it correctly, this is a generic PID controller, [not really specific to EUC and balancing], which uses analog integration and derivation to optimize phase currents. (the "angle" in the diagram is apparently the angle of the current vector in 2D space and has nothing to do with EUC tilt). Then there should be a EUC-specific balance controller somewhere that checks for overcurrent etc and, more importantly dictates the overall current/power/torque, i.e. implements the "algorithm part" which makes different EUCs behave differently and features soft/hard modes etc. I thought that this EUC-specific balance controller is digital, not analog (i.e. instead of using hardware integration, differentiation etc it would use a microprocessor and memory and run any algorithm installed via the app). Would that be correct?

• Like 3

@RagingGrandpa good explanation. In addition the controller logic/ software makes a big difference on demand. How far off angle will it allow in a given time, how aggressively will it correct and how smoothly will it compensate? Dose it try to correct everything in the next pulse or divide the force in the next ten pulses. This is something that KingsSong seems to be really good at. 

Edited by RockyTop

@RagingGrandpa Thanks for the explanation! If I understood correctly, the diagram is still a simplification: a genuine PID control might be too simple, even with added current caps. What I am curious about is whether the control is exercised by a CPU (using discrete data collected at a high rate from all sensors and meters), using algorithms written in high-level language or whether they use an analog controller (i.e. complicated circuit which functions continuously) while the CPU is just used to change its settings (sorry, I am a theoretical physicist and my knowledge of these questions is evidently lacking, but I do have the capacity to learn)