V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

26 minutes ago, Chriull said:

That's the bldc driver (inverter) with 3 H Bridges - 6 "switches". Each switch is made of 2 paralleled mosfets.

Imho paralleling is "easier" to bear more current as putting in series to bear more voltage. Especially as higher voltage models are easily available...

Thanks for the info. Looked up how H-Bridges are used in 3-Phase motors.

So it comes all down to the Mosfets being rated for 100V and Inmotion hoping they would handle their max rating for a long time? 

Seems wise not to be buying the new model, first batch, new improved wheel.....and paying for the privilege of being the guinea pig.

Wait to see what happens in a few months, until all the problems get discovered and fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

Instead they should send each  V12 costumer a replacement board with proper mosfets, remaining for us to do the switch.

This is ideal and would ease consumer worries, at least for me. Inmotion will take a loss, but gain in confidence from consumers, which will pay forward to getting more sales. 

Edited by Waulnut
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Waulnut said:

This is ideal and would ease consumer worries, at least for me. Inmotion will take a loss, but gain in confidence from consumers, which will pay forward to getting more sales. 

But... Isn't that what inmotion is doing? 

They are giving free repair/replacement?

You just have to contact your local V12 dealer or inmotion if you bought directly. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, evans036 said:

i am 64 years old, and trying to do that stress test on my wheel really did a number on my back. 

still not sure i did the test correctly. i think i'll wait a few weeks to let my back recover then try again.

that wheel is freakin heavy.

steve

This is what I am worried about. Not everybody is able to do this test properly mostly because it is a "heavy ass thing" to lift and try to cut-off mid air. Get well soon @evans036 and let somebody else try it for you.

These at-home self-tests shouldn´t be even a thing... I would maybe trust dealers with doing this to be really sure. 

Lets say you do the test and the wheel does not cut out. Then you go out on the road confidently thinking nothing can happen to you. Suddenly you have to break sharply and the wheel fails. I can tell you that if Inmotion would be an American comapny, you would be rich rich.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, supercurio said:

It's great to have Inmotion making an effort with communicating how to run the test best, and hopefully avoid immediate danger for some.
After answering comments on their YouTube video, it's clear that many struggle reproducing the test.

There is a problem with one of their statement however, and I quote:

This is simply not true.

IPP023N10N5 MOSFET datasheet: Drain-source breakdown voltage
Minimum 100V
Typical -
Max: -

The fact is that the design violates the nominal value of the main component, with Typical source breakdown voltage being unspecified instead of "relatively conservative"

Inmotion sneaks in damage control in this Q&A, by attempting to establish a reality distortion field contradicting easy to look up facts in Infineon specifications.
At the same time, they throw Infineon under the bus by pretending that the issue was caused by bad parts.

In my opinion, they must be called out for that.

There is a lot of discussion (guestimate in my opinion) about MOS not compatible with 100.8 V batteries pack systems. Does any one know max voltage that MOS in reality gets?If yes please provide data to check not opinions. Does anyone apart inmotion checked/know max working(not teoretical) MOS voltage? If no you can not tell that it is not safe to use 100 V MOS in this systems. My friend  EE told that Inmotion v12 has best architecture if you compare to gotways and KS and it has max usage not more 70% off MOS safe working range.    

• Like 2

I did not want to reply at first, but I have to.

Saying that this all is just a speculation and then solidifying your argument with:

1 hour ago, skautas2003 said:

My friend  EE told

is just ridiculous.

But I would love to hear his explanation on how and why the MOSFETs on the board see no more than 70 Volts.

1 hour ago, skautas2003 said:

it has max usage not more 70% off MOS safe working range.    

3 hours ago, evans036 said:

i am 64 years old, and trying to do that stress test on my wheel really did a number on my back. 

still not sure i did the test correctly. i think i'll wait a few weeks to let my back recover then try again.

that wheel is freakin heavy.

steve

i feel for you on that. i've got neck problems from a torn muscle awhile back, could definitely see this test exacerbating that. i'll probably try to build up a stack of 2x4's and something slightly curved on top to put the pedals on to more easily tilt it at speed...or maybe hold it like a kettlebell between the legs like the alienrides guy did in his video: https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/secure.notion-static.com/49fbebb1-dc52-4501-b8ab-9cb7ce433d03/alienrides_2.mp4

Edited by wheel-life

3 hours ago, skautas2003 said:

There is a lot of discussion (guestimate in my opinion) about MOS not compatible with 100.8 V batteries pack systems. Does any one know max voltage that MOS in reality gets?If yes please provide data to check not opinions. Does anyone apart inmotion checked/know max working(not teoretical) MOS voltage? If no you can not tell that it is not safe to use 100 V MOS in this systems. My friend  EE told that Inmotion v12 has best architecture if you compare to gotways and KS and it has max usage not more 70% off MOS safe working range.    

It would be awesome to have someone hookup an oscilloscope and high precision current meter to the V12 phase wires when completing the stress test.

That way, one could identify not only how much peak voltage the MOS has to handle but also which amount of "avalanche energy, single pulse" it represents.
V12 MOSFET specs are:

• 100V (Min) Drain-source breakdown voltage (Typical & Max unspecified)
  • 120A Max continuous drain current
  • 480A Max Pulsed drain current
  • 1166 mJ Max Avalanche energy, single pulse

Could your EE friend help with running the measurements you describe?

For now we don't have the data, and our only proxy is based on the observed failure rate.
In case of failure, we can conclude with good confidence that one or several of these metrics were exceeded, leading to component failure.

I'm afraid that like @rolis mentioned, the calculations of your EE friends are off however regarding the V12 safe working range.
As confirmed by glancing at the MOSFET specifications and real world failure rate.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

When doing the MOSFET free spin test, I would recommend using an old towel on the carpet | floor in case the wheel is still spinning a bit when the V12 is set back down, so it won't leave a tire mark on the carpet | floor. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2