V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

5 hours ago, MegaObi said:

high power demand.

Try running EUC World to monitor peak power and peak current when doing this test. The numbers won't be that high. It's probably a high voltage | low current scenario, and most likely to fail when the motor is nearly stopped during a transition in direction. If the current | torque was as high as it would be when doing hard acceleration with the V12 plus rider, a person wouldn't be able to hold the V12 mostly in place when doing this test. There must be some sort of effective rotational acceleration limiter during a free spin test, maybe inherently limited by the way the circuit board controls the motor.

Edited by rcgldr

On 1/2/2022 at 3:54 AM, fbhb said:

Ecodrift's teardown shows that exact spec of mosfet, which they were also quite concerned about at the time of inspection, shown in this image/text of theirs quoted below:

Maybe this has been the main/sole reason behind the cause of All the recent issues with V12 cutout dramas!?

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V12-148.jpg

"The marking of the field-effect transistors is clearly visible. This is the Infineon IPP023N10N5. These are the same transistors that are on the V11 and V10F. Everything would be fine, but the V12 voltage is higher. And the denomination of 100V looks very suspicious here. And will the field workers withstand a voltage of, say, 110V under heavy braking? We really hope that Inmotion has calculated all this."

Do you think ordering higher voltage fets for all 12 positions would eliminate blowing fets?

• Like 1

Guys I don't have a v12 yet but I'm going to order 1 hopefully this week.  I'm no genius but I'm wondering if the balance of capacitors and voltage or amperage limits of fets.   I do work with X class drones with 12s lipo power source.  We tend to blow a lot of esc's when capacitors pop or don't control spikes.  So I'm not sure what caps these are equipped with but it might be a possible issue to consider looking into. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bikemike2777 said:

Guys I don't have a v12 yet but I'm going to order 1 hopefully this week.  I'm no genius but I'm wondering if the balance of capacitors and voltage or amperage limits of fets.   I do work with X class drones with 12s lipo power source.  We tend to blow a lot of esc's when capacitors pop or don't control spikes.  So I'm not sure what caps these are equipped with but it might be a possible issue to consider looking into. 

Don’t buy the V12, my advice. We all talk about issues with V12 here, don’t let yourself fooled by beautiful reviews on YouTube. That’s what I did. I see now that I was so blind all this time, a lot of people were saying that InMotion has had issue with underrated MOSFETs, or less MOSFETs than the other producers in the other wheels, and that their wheels lack good acceleration because of that. It’s like I’ve been blind. Someone in an early tear dawn even was surprised by the 100V MOSFETs on a 100V…Again I was blind.
   Only if InMotion issues a redesigned control board for the motor with proper MOSFETs consider buying it, otherwise make your self a service and buy something else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Paul g said:

There would be one candidate (IPP041N12N3 G) but:

- it is not the recommended 125V, yet better than the 100V that come from InMotion

- I think we would need a firmware update for them, because they have fall and rise times different than the IPP023N10N5, so it is no guarantee it would work with the firmware for IPP023N10N5, riding it with that firmware might be very dangerous, which is what we want to avoid in the first place. This has little chance to happen, because we would have two different firmwares for the same wheel, which would also be dangerous.
     What should happen is that InMotion should replace all boards having the IPP023N10N5 MOSFETs with boards having the IPP041N12N3  MOSFETs then release the proper firmware for them. That would be the most practical of all solutions right now.

If InMotion wants to do an even righteous act, then they should redesign from ground up the heat sink and the board for proper 125V MOSFETs - which do not have a similar form factor, nor the same heat dissipation, with the ones used right now (see what @RagingGrandpa was saying about the 125V ones), and then send them as replacement while recalling all the V12 issued until now. That is the ideal thing. I don’t see it happening as it would not be practical. 
  The best thing, InMotion, please stop producing this model! It was a fail!

Cool find, it looks like this 120V MOSFET gains a safe operating area in higher voltages, but loses with amount of current, power dissipation, and avalanche energy single pulses significantly.

So that could work, but with more than 12 of them.

6 hours ago, Paul g said:

There would be one candidate (IPP041N12N3 G) but:

- it is not the recommended 125V, yet better than the 100V that come from InMotion

- I think we would need a firmware update for them, because they have fall and rise times different than the IPP023N10N5, so it is no guarantee it would work with the firmware for IPP023N10N5, riding it with that firmware might be very dangerous, which is what we want to avoid in the first place. This has little chance to happen, because we would have two different firmwares for the same wheel, which would also be dangerous.
     What should happen is that InMotion should replace all boards having the IPP023N10N5 MOSFETs with boards having the IPP041N12N3  MOSFETs then release the proper firmware for them. That would be the most practical of all solutions right now.

If InMotion wants to do an even righteous act, then they should redesign from ground up the heat sink and the board for proper 125V MOSFETs - which do not have a similar form factor, nor the same heat dissipation, with the ones used right now (see what @RagingGrandpa was saying about the 125V ones), and then send them as replacement while recalling all the V12 issued until now. That is the ideal thing. I don’t see it happening as it would not be practical. 
  The best thing, InMotion, please stop producing this model! It was a fail!

Can you please repeat this in gotway/Begode, Leperkim and knigsong forums?

This needs to be applied to all companies who have cutouts and explosions. Recall the faulty model and send replacements. Only way to restore any confident in any EUC model. 

In the mean time we should all just go back to 2017 model V10F. 

It's the only way to be safe. -_-:thumbup:

11 hours ago, Paul g said:

a lot of people were saying that InMotion has had issue with underrated MOSFETs, or less MOSFETs than the other producers in the other wheels, and that their wheels lack good acceleration because of that

Let's not spread bad info and speculation, ok? Acceleration has nothing to do with MOSFETs and so far I've only heard one model (V10) having too few MOSFETs and that might have caused them to overheat for heavier riders in uphills. Even that model had the same set of them as many others. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

guys...

my V12 died the night i got it (batch 2, back in november) . it worked shortly for its maiden around the block. i got it home and it would not power on again. it might be this same issue with the mosfets.

i sent the wheel to ewheels & got it back 2 weeks later to find the serial number had changed (i guess they replaced the main board).

that new serial number is considerably LOWER than the original. so i am trying to figure out if my current board is subject to the mosfet failures since they are confined to batch 2 (ie is my board from batch 1?).

does anyone have a way of relating serial numbers to V12 batches?

thanks,

steve

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, evans036 said:

that new serial number is considerably LOWER than the original. so i am trying to figure out if my current board is subject to the mosfet failures since they are confined to batch 2 (ie is my board from batch 1?).

Both cut-outs and stress test failures affect batch 1 as well.
The issue concerns all V12.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't seem to be any Batch 1 failures at least not in the spreadsheet which could confirm the bad batch of components for Batch 2 claim, my reseller just got the delivery of V12's mine included and will begin testing them before sending them out to customers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Doesn't seem to be any Batch 1 failures at least not in the spreadsheet which could confirm the bad batch of components for Batch 2 claim, my reseller just got the delivery of V12's mine included and will begin testing them before sending them out to customers.

Ah yes I checked again and there was no test failure recorded on Batch 1 specifically, however there were cut-out: see the various tabs in the cut-out spreadsheet. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Inmotion serial numbers are random, so sequence does not matter. 

The serial number is embedded in the main board. The drive board is the one that holds the mosfet to control the motor power (or how you would say it). 

Only Ewheel together with Inmotion can answer the iteration of the mounted boards. You might be able to spot a version nu. Ber on the boards. 

thanks much for clarification - i did not realize there is a main board (with the serial number) and a separate control board (with the mosfets). sorry for the noise everyone.

steve

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, terlikaa said:

Well.. There's already one wheel that passed the test and now, a week later, mosfets are blown. 

Interesting his wheel powers on. 

23 minutes ago, terlikaa said:

Well.. There's already one wheel that passed the test and now, a week later, mosfets are blown. 

Shocker. Who woulda thunk it!

And if the test wasn't done 'perfectly' then its another good reason for the test itself to be largely useless.

Some very brave souls indeed who are getting on V12's after this 'test'.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, terlikaa said:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/inmotionv12/permalink/502406191191640/

InMotion solutions for the people. Don’t worry guys, InMotion is learning now how to build EUCs and maybe next one will be the one. What can you do? I now have a V12 that I won’t perform the recommended test on- it's mostly useless, we knew that, I will ride it like an old and crumbly bike at very low speed, geared from head to toe, and that will probably end up rusting in a corner somewhere because I’ll be forced to buy something else

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Shocker. Who woulda thunk it!

And if the test wasn't done 'perfectly' then its another good reason for the test itself to be largely useless.

Some very brave souls indeed who are getting on V12's after this 'test'.

While I fully understand the snark here (well deserved), some people thought that the test was merely lifting the wheel and letting it free-spin.
One person did that and uploaded it on YouTube so commenters warned him about the problematic execution (and second test is not that much better unfortunately)

Knowing this is a possibility, what is the ratio of actually stress test vs nothing test, and car we tell if this report of later cut-out disqualifies the test entirely or not.

I gave some material with good and bad tests to the distributors where I and a few friends order a V12 from. He sent me a video with the best stress test I've seen so far, 4+ minutes long!
Hopefully, most distributors will do effective stress tests before sending out wheels, at least.

But doe it mean that the synthetic stress test is nothing compared to real-world stress or that this person couldn't reproduce the stress test as intended (and really, no blame here)?

Let's investigate.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1