V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

36 minutes ago, terlikaa said:

Well.. There's already one wheel that passed the test and now, a week later, mosfets are blown. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/inmotionv12/permalink/502406191191640/

"it passed the free spin test just last week" the test is not to test free spin.. might be bad wording might not be, it's problematic that the test itself seems difficult to execute properly, maybe doing pendelums is a good test as well? But not everyone can do that either.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, skedra said:

The distributor I bought from had their demo fail a day after passing the stress test twice (and they did have wheels fail that stress test so I'm pretty sure they did it right). So to me this test only filters out the absolute worst wheels but plenty will "just" pass it and probably fail in the real world.

London. Was that erides?
I'm asking because they shared on their YouTube channel a very well executed stress test (which results in a fail)

Thing is I would not believe a stress test result unless I see the video myself, at this point. There's so many ways it can go wrong, including by doing well enough but not enough times.

• Like 1

Another dead V12.

I'm posting for a buddy who rides with me. Batch 2 from eWheels, received in November 2021. 126 miles on the odometer. Battery was at 80% charge and did a slow ride down 2 stair steps. It cut out at the bottom. Wheel power button does not respond. If you plug in the charger the top display will turn on. After removing the charger, the power button will prompt the lock keypad. After entering the unlock PIN, the wheel shuts down, and the power button is unresponsive again.

Comparing the broken V12 to my still functioning V12 (same batch from ewheels, received a day apart) his wheel does not freespin while off. There is a definite sticking point every 3 magnets/clicks? Would seem to indicate a MOSFET failure.

We're preparing ourselves to disassemble his V12 so we can send the control board back to eWheels for repair.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, taiguy said:

Another dead V12.

I'm posting for a buddy who rides with me. Batch 2 from eWheels, received in November 2021. 126 miles on the odometer. Battery was at 80% charge and did a slow ride down 2 stair steps. It cut out at the bottom. Wheel power button does not respond. If you plug in the charger the top display will turn on. After removing the charger, the power button will prompt the lock keypad. After entering the unlock PIN, the wheel shuts down, and the power button is unresponsive again.

Comparing the broken V12 to my still functioning V12 (same batch from ewheels, received a day apart) his wheel does not freespin while off. There is a definite sticking point every 3 magnets/clicks? Would seem to indicate a MOSFET failure.

We're preparing ourselves to disassemble his V12 so we can send the control board back to eWheels for repair.

Thanks for the report, I hope your buddy didn't get injured in the process.

Since you didn't mention it I presume his wheel wasn't stress tested with the recommended procedure?

20 minutes ago, skedra said:

The distributor I bought from had their demo fail a day after passing the stress test twice (and they did have wheels fail that stress test so I'm pretty sure they did it right). So to me this test only filters out the absolute worst wheels but plenty will "just" pass it and probably fail in the real world.

Bugger me gently. Anyone for some Russian Roulette whilst we're here?

Another one to put the nail in the coffin for this ludicrous 'test'.

• Thanks 2

I'm not sure if this counts, since mine shuts down each and every time I've run the pendulum test.  It becomes unresponsive, and the wheel still spins. I plug it in, and it will power back on and self balance.  I run the pendulum test, and it shuts down every time on the tilt back portion. (hopefully I'm doing it right.)  

This is a wheel that I bought from a friend, who got it from ewheels.  I bought it from him because the first time I rode it, I wiped out on an emergency brake.  At the time, I just assumed it was my own error, but now, I'm not quite so sure.  It had about 50 miles on it, it was cold, below freezing, and we'd ridden about 4 miles taking it easy while I learned the wheel. I took it up to 37, got some wobble, so decided to brake...down I went. The lights stayed on, but it wouldn't balance, and the screen wouldn't work. 

I'm a bigger rider (101Kg, 224 lbs). I haven't pushed the wheel since then, setting the speed limit down to 25, and really taking it easy since. 

Edited by kiitick
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kiitick said:

I'm not sure if this counts, since mine shuts down each and every time I've run the pendulum test.  It becomes unresponsive, and the wheel still spins. I plug it in, and it will power back on and self balance.  I run the pendulum test, and it shuts down every time on the tilt back portion. (hopefully I'm doing it right.)  

This is a wheel that I bought from a friend, who got it from ewheels.  I bought it from him because the first time I rode it, I wiped out on an emergency brake.  At the time, I just assumed it was my own error, but now, I'm not quite so sure.  It had about 50 miles on it, it was cold, below freezing, and we'd ridden about 4 miles taking it easy while I learned the wheel. I took it up to 37, got some wobble, so decided to brake...down I went. The lights stayed on, but it wouldn't balance, and the screen wouldn't work. 

I'm a bigger rider (101Kg, 224 lbs). I haven't pushed the wheel since then, setting the speed limit down to 25, and really taking it easy since. 

Someone had something similar on telegram. It turned out to be an overload due to watts (or it is was wh) used at or close to 0kmh. So it might be the balancing load is high yet the wheel register only very low ride speed. 

Edited by Unventor

8 minutes ago, kiitick said:

This is a wheel that I bought from a friend, who got it from ewheels.  I bought it from him because the first time I rode it, I wiped out on an emergency brake.  At the time, I just assumed it was my own error, but now, I'm not quite so sure.  It had about 50 miles on it, it was cold, below freezing, and we'd ridden about 4 miles taking it easy while I learned the wheel.

Your story is uncommon: deciding to buy a wheel after determining it could not handle your weight in an emergency situation is counterintuitive.

Regarding the stress test, if you can it would be interesting to review a video of it. Make sure to look at a few available videos to see what works first.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Someone had something similar on telegram. It turned out to be an overload due to watts (or it is was wh) used at or close to 0kmh. So it might be the balancing load is high yet the wheel register only very low ride speed. 

Yeah high speed motor, (somewhat) heavy rider and hard braking, we can only ask for so much at the end when getting close to 0 speed.

1 minute ago, kiitick said:

I bought it from him because I'd crashed his new wheel. As I said, at the time, I was pretty certain it was user error. Kind of like car insurance, if I hit someone, I should pay for the damages.

Yes a pellicular aspect here is that it's an item in very short supply and high demand (although maybe not as much right now).

Let us take a look at the test 😉

Edited by supercurio

9 hours ago, supercurio said:

Thanks for the report, I hope your buddy didn't get injured in the process.

Since you didn't mention it I presume his wheel wasn't stress tested with the recommended procedure?

the facebook post linked above is mine. his wheel was stress tested as per inmotion's video. no injury as he was going down 2 stairs at 5mph. he managed to hop off as it was falling over.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul A said:

If an owner does not conduct the stress test correctly.......they could then potentially have a cutout whilst riding and suffer extensive injuries.

And even if done correctly, you can never be sure. There is still a chance of creating a voltage spike that will destroy a mosfet. I had to change a few entries for passed tests to failed because the owner did the test again later. No batch 2 is safe until inmotion sends out improved boards.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, evans036 said:

i am 64 years old, and trying to do that stress test on my wheel really did a number on my back. 

still not sure i did the test correctly. i think i'll wait a few weeks to let my back recover then try again.

that wheel is freakin heavy.

steve

People could be injuring themselves by conducting a heavy, awkward test.

A test that is now in doubt as being reliable, as there are reports of wheels failing despite having earlier passed the stress test.

Even if the Zen Lee comment that Ewheels will be conducting a recall does not eventuate, it seems pointless to do the test.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

But your comment seemed focused on transients- could you elaborate?

I would rather say Surge rather than Transient.

My first though when I rode the wheel was, Geez the V12 is very aggressive in shutting down the motor when the wheel falls off.

(Hey, this is what I do, my wheel when doing tricks falls more than the casual rider) The V10F is a real fiasco in that respect. Takes forever to stop the wheel spin. This was noted in the V10F thread.

I do understand feedback loops. I also know that you can also control the gain of the loop.

My first thought was that WOW tons of gain (VERY GOOD for tricks) lets tone it down.

My theory from what I have observed is that it is very easy for the software to be OVER aggressive when SLOWING the wheel and that the ferro magnetic is saturated by pulses width way too large to be absorbed by this 16 inch wheel material. I suspect also variations in the over current detection and variation in quality of the windings would explain different wheels behaviours...

I could be wrong... 

In the mean time I am doing single legged tic-tocs but in COMMUTER mode. I am staying away from the OFF ROAD....

Edited by pico
  • Upvote 1