V12 weird "cutout" and unresponsive afterwards

Richardo

This morning I was walking my dog on the v12,

We were on a baseball outfield (flat, dry grass. 35°F, ~2°C) and I was throwing away the boy's poop-bag, leaned forward to go, and the wheel "squirted out" behind me. It felt like sort of squeezing a grape between your fingers to shoot it at someone. I thought the grass must have been wet and I lost traction, but it was actually dry.

There was no beep, and Mrs. InMotion didn't warn me to "Be Careful" or say anything at all. Darkness Bot disconnected at the same time, and the screen on my v12 was dark. 

It wasn't a complete cut-out like where the wheel is off & spins with only the friction of the bearing, and I had time to step forward and walk off. Afterwards the power button doesn't respond. Also weird, while I was lugging it home, the wheel continued to resist freely spinning. It was a lot of work, & felt like I was charging it while it did gentle regenerative braking. 

It still feels like that, and still won't turn on. There is nothing wrapped around the axle causing friction, and the kickstand wasn't down, either. The battery was at 70% when I started my ride, plus I've never ridden it in the rain, and only put like 15 miles total on it. Max speed 11.9ph, max temp 57.2°F, max current 8.92A, 825W, 29% PWM

Here's a video. https://i.imgur.com/PmuGsQQ.mp4

any ideas what's going on? Or next steps for troubleshooting?

Should I try to disassemble? How about putting it on the charger?

Edited by Richardo

1 hour ago, Richardo said:

while informative, I regret to say I can not "like" your post, Chriull...

it's really bad news :(

One cozld double check by opening ng the wheel and disconnecting the motor wires. Then the motor should turn smooth again

• Like 2

This is just my bad memory at work, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I seem to remember that InMotion wheels are not fully shutdown with the standard 2 to 3 second button push. My cobwebs in my brain tell me that if you hold the button some 30 seconds or so that it goes into full shutdown rather than the standby mode for normal parking. You might want to search the Forum and verify this. Then hopefully when you power up again everything might be reset and work properly, a reboot ... if you will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

Found it. Try this. Not sure it works on the V12, but you have nothing to loose at this point.

Hm. When I did that and tried to turn it back on, it made a few popping/tocking sounds. Didn't sound exactly like the 'snap' of an electric arc, but it's also within several layers of plastic. I contacted ewheels. Might disassemble later to look at the board and prove to myself the disconnected wheel spins freely.

• Like 2