New Begode "Hero" Suspension Wheel

26 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Hero20? What's up with that light button/sensor? Seems to work so so?

It looks like Begode decided to rip-off what they could of the S20, starting with the color scheme and.. the name as well?
Tho this one reflects the tire size, so it gets a pass.

The light sensor seems to work fine in the demo. However it would have been nicer to pedestrians to modulate the light output instead of turning 1 or 2 lights full blast.

21 minutes ago, supercurio said:

The light sensor seems to work fine in the demo. However it would have been nicer to pedestrians to modulate the light output instead of turning 1 or 2 lights full blast.

This sensor exists on the s18. :)

they need to make it digital and move it away from the top, the road lamps make it think it is day and it switches the lights off while riding, huge fail. :)

Also the s18 dims the lights when speed gets low, down to very low brightness on wheel stop, really convenient for pedestrians. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, enaon said:

they need to make it digital and move it away from the top, the road lamps make it think it is day and it switches the lights off while riding, huge fail. :)

Oops you're right. If the sensor is pointed towards the front, lights might turn off in traffic facing when facing car lights, which is not great either (can happen on KS-16X).
At least 2 non-directive sensors pointing in different directions with good diffusion are probably needed for a good implementation.

• Like 3

Just now, supercurio said:

At least 2 non-directive sensors pointing in different directions with good diffusion are probably needed for a good implementation.

true that, two sensors,  will be nice. Or a single good digital one, it can detect spectrum and uv, so can tell if the light is artificial. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, enaon said:

true that, two sensors,  will be nice. Or a single good digital one, it can detect spectrum and uv, so can tell if the light is artificial. 

Two sensors alone would be a great improvement. Another would be just switching logic that doesn’t turn off or dim the lights until the sensor has seen a brighter light for 10 seconds straight.

The tech was already available on the 16S, so in itself the tech is very old. But useful nevertheless, if done well. 

The more I learn about the details of this wheel the more excited I am.  I pre-ordered it almost two months ago from Wheel Riders Store, they made the video posted recently overviewing the wheel.  I will share lots of details/videos once I finally get it.  

I'm glad it at least has some kind of ambient light sensor.  My 16 x has one as well that works good but the light is angled up so it blinds pedestrians anyway.

Edited by PharmaCyclist

On 11/19/2021 at 11:04 PM, Rawnei said:

Hero20? What's up with that light button/sensor? Seems to work so so?

Seems weird. Hopefully you can override it. 

They're manually triggering it in the video with their hand which may be why it seems unreliable. Auto lights definitely arent a new thing so it should work

I looked closely at the last video at 1/4 speed and there was no moment in the suspension whatsoever. Even freeze framed and got out the tape measure.

Either the suspension unit is locked or the assembler in the factory tightened down on the bushings too much. A previous video of an earlier version showed the suspension to be very spongy.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:46 PM, enaon said:

Also the s18 dims the lights when speed gets low, down to very low brightness on wheel stop, really convenient for pedestrians. 

I imagine they will let you change the setting so lights are always on like the S18 does.

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I imagine they will let you change the setting so lights are always on like the S18 does.

And will it also disable the braking light by doing so? :)

I really hope for something better, the s18 implementation is a fail I think :)

Edited by enaon

1 hour ago, enaon said:

And will it also disable the braking light by doing so? :)

I really hope for something better, the s18 implementation is a fail I think :)

No it doesn't disable the brake light. The settings on the S18 let you put the front light on dip/fullbeam or both it doesn't effect the brake light. You can check this out yourself.

Switching on EUC puts it automatically on light sensor mode; both beams. Press power button again; main beam only always on, Press power button again dip beam always on, press power button again turns lights off. 

Edited by The Brahan Seer

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

No it doesn't disable the brake light. The settings on the S18 let you put the front light on dip/fullbeam or both it doesn't effect the brake light. You can check this out yourself.

it is a know problem, try it out 

Put your lights on med or hi beam from the button, and check if the brake light works as a break indicator :)

It s a kingsong thing to be honest, I have the watch automatically change modes when sensing regen to overcome it :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, enaon said:

it is a know problem, try it out 

Put your lights on med or hi beam from the button, and check if the brake light works as a break indicator :)

It s a kingsong thing to be honest, I have the watch automatically change modes when sensing regen to overcome it :)

I just tried it again the back light certainly works and senses tilts and lights up although I didn't test the brake specifically hard as its hard to see at the same time as riding in my hallway. Maybe that is what they fixed on the firmware upgrade 2.07? or maybe it doesn't work as a brake light. I will try checking again when I go out on the wheel proper. Thanks for the heads up.

3 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I just tried it again the back light certainly works and senses tilts and lights up although I didn't test the brake specifically hard as its hard to see at the same time as riding in my hallway. Maybe that is what they fixed on the firmware upgrade 2.07? or maybe it doesn't work as a brake light.

turning signal tail light works when head light is set to hi or med, but brake does not, it is not fixed on 2.07  :)

the tail light works as a brake light only when the headlight is on auto. 

(you can lift the wheel on the air, or just trolley it, no need to ride it to test this. )

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

I stand corrected @enaon. Apologies for questioning your expertise. What an odd situation, flashes red a lot but isn't the brake light as stated. Sorry for hijacking this thread with this info too. I'm looking forward to the reviews on the 'Hero'. I think it might surprise us.

Edited by The Brahan Seer
  • Like 1

A Heroic effort by GotWay/Begode to pull themselves from the deep... I will wait till disassembly videos before concluding "they've learnt something about quality" tho. (I do sincerely wish they succeed and do well - we all will benefit from a strong healthy competition!)

Regarding the wheel itself, unless Jack didn't manage to adjust it properly for the test, Hero's suspension is too "bouncy" for serious off-roading. It is a little bit too chunky to be just an urban commuter...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

He said Begode said the suspension doesn’t have damping…

The pics on the first page of this thread deffo show a red damping adjustment knob on the shock. I can't imagine they downgraded the shock. I don't even know of an airshock without damping.

No way I would risk riding a suspension wheel without damping - crash waiting to happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

The pics on the first page of this thread deffo show a red damping adjustment knob on the shock. I can't imagine they downgraded the shock. I don't even know of an airshock without damping.

No way I would risk riding a suspension wheel without damping - crash waiting to happen.

Well, the V11 doesn’t have damping either, and I don’t think I’ve read of a single crash related to the suspension rebound behavior.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Well, the V11 doesn’t have damping either, and I don’t think I’ve read of a single crash related to the suspension rebound behavior.

Are you confident that the airsprings within the V11 have zero fixed oil damping?