New Begode "Hero" Suspension Wheel

Have my Hero and love it so far!  Curious to hear about the shock too, need to know if it's 35 or 50 mm travel.  Not planning on changing it right away or anything, stock shock feels great to me.  The shocks are cheap though so I'll probably buy one and swap it out as a little fun project at my first tire change.

dcDR9PPk2gJdUZqorjJQsD0oTSsA80fjTfzR1q0qRN-CBWmq_0yGUs8wa0k6XMxsFYOjw55SL5NuUX0XV1tBvqETVJ2oUAmyIu2edBnw-XOXrPFgZBLHnSd2JlF36V8d9sM0L58EC5LXXmAqGRZ5BT0g3j27cxiXZ9TzFYgtPz_8uUledKEcjav5ABb6JvS9dET1HmRMEg73XNt0d9T90NMFXQ6E7l9ovvKpHLfe6J-fNEYA-SQansCLEv-H9Q0B_j03AiOVnxF5i2VTMD8QHwWR2YONjd5oBXsvrUQmctw7Qi86D4alRQ7XXWsxxTQqK647yfeDD03e6Dw2sMklfpa0bqKXQYYKl-60X0nd3cFouPaiz92pe1W49E-sIM1mLQ-9ueOBBRueOfcVY7sY6eA9en8JY_yqHj2YANX2U6661xELo0Ga__qQ1Bl_QfMnMu289naEF1XShdNk5ny3ZGOKdYgqrb3VxcFoDVvZN57xpqd-N046SooPbCydCf97z-3rLGtVVXnXc8wUoJqKVgoUsZOUWrlzn7vKuhsL8fGrWllkWlmwJ72PymvIHDBdwZbLkddKEAel5NDIXQ6gDNvgHp7fjOm47FqZjK_gfLiWUJ2BBCOmkpA9OEhzYsZS1FP5bfa0TBMrrxnQi9NsQb188TSy0WXGr8cUjudKSG759lRfCjimciJvVsn2QMUeGUaCvxdfNn-VzjH6zob3auk_9w=w1558-h1169-no?authuser=0

The hero arrives in Perth, Australia.

I've done about 100km on it so far. Its my first suspension and high torque wheel (apart from the mten3?), with my main wheel being a Sherman. 

Initial impressions is its very nice, torque motor is lots of fun.

The suspension does what its meant to, makes the wheel so comfortable to ride. I'm about 70kg and running 150 psi, but I think I'm going to try 160 as its a tad too soft and is bottoming out on larger curbs.

Stock power pads are useless. I tried putting some 3D printed ones on but the gap between the batteries makes it a bit hard because it moves with the suspension. Currently 3D printing a back plate that should hopefully solve that issue.

Range is about what you'd get on a MSP/RS I think. did 58km (GPS, avg speed 23kmph) on a run and had 13% left according to EUC world, but still had 2/5 bars on the screen, so not sure if that was EUC world's predictive battery. 

The tire gets a lot of hate but its not as horrible as everybody makes it out to be in my opinion. 

Hard to comment on weight, as I'm used to pushing a Sherman around. 

6 hours ago, PharmaCyclist said:

Have my Hero and love it so far!  Curious to hear about the shock too, need to know if it's 35 or 50 mm travel.  Not planning on changing it right away or anything, stock shock feels great to me.  The shocks are cheap though so I'll probably buy one and swap it out as a little fun project at my first tire change.

I have a DNM AO-38RC shock (190mm eye to eye  50mm travel) coming. I'll probably swap the tire and shock next weekend but I agreed, don't see a huge reason to and if I hadn't bought the stuff before getting the hero I wouldn't of. Maybe as I push it more I'll see why.

Edited by Eyss

10 hours ago, Eyss said:

dcDR9PPk2gJdUZqorjJQsD0oTSsA80fjTfzR1q0qRN-CBWmq_0yGUs8wa0k6XMxsFYOjw55SL5NuUX0XV1tBvqETVJ2oUAmyIu2edBnw-XOXrPFgZBLHnSd2JlF36V8d9sM0L58EC5LXXmAqGRZ5BT0g3j27cxiXZ9TzFYgtPz_8uUledKEcjav5ABb6JvS9dET1HmRMEg73XNt0d9T90NMFXQ6E7l9ovvKpHLfe6J-fNEYA-SQansCLEv-H9Q0B_j03AiOVnxF5i2VTMD8QHwWR2YONjd5oBXsvrUQmctw7Qi86D4alRQ7XXWsxxTQqK647yfeDD03e6Dw2sMklfpa0bqKXQYYKl-60X0nd3cFouPaiz92pe1W49E-sIM1mLQ-9ueOBBRueOfcVY7sY6eA9en8JY_yqHj2YANX2U6661xELo0Ga__qQ1Bl_QfMnMu289naEF1XShdNk5ny3ZGOKdYgqrb3VxcFoDVvZN57xpqd-N046SooPbCydCf97z-3rLGtVVXnXc8wUoJqKVgoUsZOUWrlzn7vKuhsL8fGrWllkWlmwJ72PymvIHDBdwZbLkddKEAel5NDIXQ6gDNvgHp7fjOm47FqZjK_gfLiWUJ2BBCOmkpA9OEhzYsZS1FP5bfa0TBMrrxnQi9NsQb188TSy0WXGr8cUjudKSG759lRfCjimciJvVsn2QMUeGUaCvxdfNn-VzjH6zob3auk_9w=w1558-h1169-no?authuser=0

The hero arrives in Perth, Australia.

I've done about 100km on it so far. Its my first suspension and high torque wheel (apart from the mten3?), with my main wheel being a Sherman. 

Initial impressions is its very nice, torque motor is lots of fun.

The suspension does what its meant to, makes the wheel so comfortable to ride. I'm about 70kg and running 150 psi, but I think I'm going to try 160 as its a tad too soft and is bottoming out on larger curbs.

Stock power pads are useless. I tried putting some 3D printed ones on but the gap between the batteries makes it a bit hard because it moves with the suspension. Currently 3D printing a back plate that should hopefully solve that issue.

Range is about what you'd get on a MSP/RS I think. did 58km (GPS, avg speed 23kmph) on a run and had 13% left according to EUC world, but still had 2/5 bars on the screen, so not sure if that was EUC world's predictive battery. 

The tire gets a lot of hate but its not as horrible as everybody makes it out to be in my opinion. 

Hard to comment on weight, as I'm used to pushing a Sherman around. 

I have a DNM AO-38RC shock (190mm eye to eye  50mm travel) coming. I'll probably swap the tire and shock next weekend but I agreed, don't see a huge reason to and if I hadn't bought the stuff before getting the hero I wouldn't of. Maybe as I push it more I'll see why.

Thanks for the info man, much appreciated.  Definitely agree on the shock, a fancier one is just a neat cheap (if time consuming) upgrade, but really the stock shock feels great to me and I'm about 100 kg.  Going to take it on some actual trails later this week hopefully, but zipping around the neighborhood curves and rough grass etc is so much fun on it, so much power and so smooth.  

I also agree on the tire, I was just riding 5 min before reading this and had to smile at you having the same perspective as me... really not sure what the fuss about the tire sucking is, was of course thinking about this on my ride and just couldn't feel the issue.  I can carve just fine with it (feels like any other wheel to me, maybe slightly more dipping at the far lean of the carve) and it is amazing off road.  Maybe it's certain riding styles/weights that it bothers, who knows.  Overall I think the Hero is really a cool wheel.  I'm also hearing it's more torquey than the Kingsong S20 based on early comparisons on YouTube.. surprising.

Edited by PharmaCyclist

15 hours ago, PharmaCyclist said:

Thanks for the info man, much appreciated.  Definitely agree on the shock, a fancier one is just a neat cheap (if time consuming) upgrade, but really the stock shock feels great to me and I'm about 100 kg.  Going to take it on some actual trails later this week hopefully, but zipping around the neighborhood curves and rough grass etc is so much fun on it, so much power and so smooth.  

I also agree on the tire, I was just riding 5 min before reading this and had to smile at you having the same perspective as me... really not sure what the fuss about the tire sucking is, was of course thinking about this on my ride and just couldn't feel the issue.  I can carve just fine with it (feels like any other wheel to me, maybe slightly more dipping at the far lean of the carve) and it is amazing off road.  Maybe it's certain riding styles/weights that it bothers, who knows.  Overall I think the Hero is really a cool wheel.  I'm also hearing it's more torquey than the Kingsong S20 based on early comparisons on YouTube.. surprising.

Just to clarify I haven't really confirmed the shock fits. One guy on Facebook mentioned he put a 190 X 35 but from alien rides video I think a 50mm might fit. 

Unfortunately it's hard to measure the shock without disassembly. 

Somebody mentioned a few pages ago that the cst knobby isn't great at higher pressures and that's why a lot of people don't like it. I'm running about 30 psi

It's definitely a much softer tire than the Kenda so you won't get as much life out of it. My Sherman Kenda 262 still has plenty of tread after 7000km

Edit: pumped the tire up to 32 psi and it was a pretty bad ride. Basically what the reviewers were saying. I'll put it back to 28-29 and see how I go .

Also printed the basic back plates. They help secure the pads but the back plate is a little too flexible.

I have a different concept that I'll try next that only covers the gap between the batteries 

Edited by Eyss
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Eyss said:

Just to clarify I haven't really confirmed the shock fits. One guy on Facebook mentioned he put a 190 X 35 but from alien rides video I think a 50mm might fit. 

Unfortunately it's hard to measure the shock without disassembly. 

Somebody mentioned a few pages ago that the cst knobby isn't great at higher pressures and that's why a lot of people don't like it. I'm running about 30 psi

It's definitely a much softer tire than the Kenda so you won't get as much life out of it. My Sherman Kenda 262 still has plenty of tread after 7000km

Edit: pumped the tire up to 32 psi and it was a pretty bad ride. Basically what the reviewers were saying. I'll put it back to 28-29 and see how I go .

Also printed the basic back plates. They help secure the pads but the back plate is a little too flexible.

I have a different concept that I'll try next that only covers the gap between the batteries 

Curious see what happens with your backplates, I may ask for the .stl when you're done 😊

On the shock, sounds good I will also see how it goes for you then possibly buy one.

I actually have my tire at 32 psi and I still think it feels great, maybe it's my extra weight at 100 kg flattening the profile a bit.

Chucked a Kenda 262 and DNM AO-38 shock on yesterday. Took ~4 hours with my mate.

The Kenda tire is so much more nimble than the stock tire. although I have spent a long time on a Sherman with the Kenda 262 so I was already familiar with it. You can pump it up to high PSI's for stairs and curbs while still having good control (Which I found the stock tire wasn't good for).

I like the new suspension a bit more. I'm a noob still so need to read up on how to actually set it up correctly, but I find with the stock shock you need to have the pressure tuned for comfort and rebound so you might have it harder than you'd like but the dnm shock you can have it softer and use rebound to fine tune the ride. 

One issue is the shock I got is the DNM AO-38RC shock (190mm eye to eye 50mm travel) but the stock shock is 190mm eye to eye 40mm travel. I'm not quite sure what effects that will have on the body. 
I did do a lot of stairs and jumps at a pump track and now the trolley handle doesn't pop open so maybe the suspension compressed too much and broke the spring. need to open and have a look.

But if you're getting a shock I think you would want the DNM AOY-38RC shock which is 190mm x 35mm travel.

If you're looking for another shock, the dimensions of the stock shock are:

The air chamber part is 56mm wide by 78mm long, The part above that is 44mm wide and 14mm long.

I'm still tinkering with the backplate design. The bridge design between the battery cases works well, just need to fine tune it. 

7 hours ago, Eyss said:

But if you're getting a shock I think you would want the DNM AOY-38RC shock which is 190mm x 35mm travel.

I know nothing about bicycle shocks, but just by picturing it in my head… if the suspension mechanism is designed for a shock with 40mm of travel, isn’t there a risk that a 35mm shock would bottom out and break stuff? To me it sounds like the 50mm travel would be the better choice.

• Like 1

edit, I've been reading quickly cursory that the oem was in 50mm

With the 35mm one correctly tuned there is no risk of bottoming out or breaking but you'll lose 10mm of total travel, with the 50mm one no risk either assuming there is enough room

For a real improvement a good moderate budget mtb shock 190x40 could be the rockshox deluxe ultimate rct, or if you have money ohlins ttx2air

Edited by Bizra6ot

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I know nothing about bicycle shocks, but just by picturing it in my head… if the suspension mechanism is designed for a shock with 40mm of travel, isn’t there a risk that a 35mm shock would bottom out and break stuff? To me it sounds like the 50mm travel would be the better choice.

I don't know much either but from opening the hero, the 50mm shock would let the suspension arm move more than what is designed and possibly hit other parts of the frame. 

My trolley handle started working today by itself after riding so I think dirt or something got into it. Not sure. 

I'm also happy with my hero back plates so I've uploaded it to thingiverse. Since I just signed up its locked for 24 hours, but should be available this time tomorrow: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5254739
I'm not really a 3d designer so its basic but does the job. 

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yeah you really gotta be careful when deviating from the design length. Too short and you could smash the shock to pieces, too long and all sorts of nasty stuff could happen like binding linkages, tyre hitting shell etc. If it were me and I wanted to use a different length, I would remove the shock and cycle the setup be hand to see exactly what margin I have. You may have quite a bit but until you know...you dont know.

Even then, say a 50mm actually works, it doesnt mean that the rate designed  into the linkage between 40 and 50 will be correct, it could do all sorts of weird things like drastically reducing rate which could make the extra 10mm pointless and potentially dangerous if the curve drops off a cliff after 40mm.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Planemo said:

Yeah you really gotta be careful when deviating from the design length. Too short and you could smash the shock to pieces, too long and all sorts of nasty stuff could happen like binding linkages, tyre hitting shell etc. If it were me and I wanted to use a different length, I would remove the shock and cycle the setup be hand to see exactly what margin I have. You may have 

Well in the original kuji video of the hero, they are using a dnm shock so it would appear that the hero is designed for either 35 or 50.

Unfortunately the design of the aoy-38rc and ao-38rc look very similar

23 hours ago, Planemo said:

Yeah you really gotta be careful when deviating from the design length. Too short and you could smash the shock to pieces, too long and all sorts of nasty stuff could happen like binding linkages, tyre hitting shell etc. If it were me and I wanted to use a different length, I would remove the shock and cycle the setup be hand to see exactly what margin I have. You may have quite a bit but until you know...you dont know.

Even then, say a 50mm actually works, it doesnt mean that the rate designed  into the linkage between 40 and 50 will be correct, it could do all sorts of weird things like drastically reducing rate which could make the extra 10mm pointless and potentially dangerous if the curve drops off a cliff after 40mm.

This is true in MTB but only when you change the eye to eye distance which will change the geometry, if eye to eye is the same as the original and only the stroke is changed by a few millimeters assuming no suspension parts come in contact with the frame during full travel there will be no problem only a minimal loss or increase of travel

54 minutes ago, Eyss said:

Well in the original kuji video of the hero, they are using a dnm shock so it would appear that the hero is designed for either 35 or 50.

Unfortunately the design of the aoy-38rc and ao-38rc look very similar

Alienrides has also replaced the OEM with a DNM in its hero review

Edited by Bizra6ot

2 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

This is true in MTB but only when you change the eye to eye distance which will change the geometry,

MTB/EUC makes no difference. Linkages are linkages. And eye to eye length will often change depending on the travel of the shock. Some shocks may be designed to run say 65mm and have internal spacers to reduce it down. But far from all do this. In general, the longer the travel the longer the E2E will be.

if eye to eye is the same as the original and only the stroke is changed by a few millimeters

People weren't talking a 'few millimetres'. They were talking about 35mm travel Vs a 50m travel.

I only made my post to make people aware of potential issues with changing travel, whether that comes from a change in E2E, the stroke itself or a combination of both.

People are free to do what they wish with that info.

assuming no suspension parts come in contact with the frame during full travel there will be no problem only a minimal loss or increase of travel

Any tips on measuring the shock? 

I tried remeasuring it and I'm getting 195mm eye to eye when extended and 155mm when compressed. So 40mm travel still? 

I kind of assumed it was 190 before but putting a pencil mark through the eyes points to 195mm. 

If it is 195x40 then 190x35 would be the better option?

Edit: for fun I tried finding the shock on Ali express. There's a lot but none that look like it :(

Edited by Eyss

5 hours ago, EMA said:

absolutely not, maybe you can use longer travel 195x45 or 195x50 but it's not recommended

Why's that?

Its just weird that in the original videos Kuji made had a DNM shock, so I'd say its made to have a 190mm shock. Its weird that they would use a different size shock. 

I might design and 3D print a rig to accurately measure the shock and leave it at that. the 190mm eye to eye with 50mm travel hasn't caused any issues yet and I've been trying to abuse it as much as possible (Stairs, pump tracks, curbs) 

Here's some photos of the shocks side by side:

extended:

5kbG8_k7sbEAXMvOmXCjjDH1IJbotj4paRmf_lEO3WCiqTv83jGDPajysgETIHVMqJW_DGBZEmLBvoDrGEal2bpVRuO1N2Ae9IuBOySEziwo9SFc8Okn7-FIb1rwC5e-qVVUNSc-gKbGeegztMFuWRUDbLteXXKSb878QEP8Xba9d7p0bUu7B06Gx2tMg-gHjRlIDduU_iSh_wOh7_gCAS6QyngTnNzAHx7YYsJajMWyPixxhB8W2rFCJdni-AEOZ6Kv9_f2lRi6Zh8Pw_NYct87fPejiBgRk4Ns7BaQLQdk1b9V250tNjctEaIisJOQikLhgbOqoS4qzFjYBi3hKBX9SfBuTQIEOzAaLToXRcPCBHbdVLgO9_bWU3PyWExYk-W9olLSbKUNRtC7eQnOl6AG4Gk6uAG5lalMCt4sMOeYNT8x6MKIDECZ3VSmaxldJ1zzRZCqr6L5_P3erZleCWifyBF1vzTl0Z0zdKzQcHwnl-O8TXhxGM9ypTFa9e-Cep0SvsWTlsi0aK8u5Dmk3TCv9bDNSxZ2OCohA8Lerw8TiWdlLxpa3yWzI9300g-8iQej7sWag6T4ewauzDpgF84rHHkWRmTRoA4GnFZ6kxE4ae8x1OQ7oR43PuxLjNuB1unyGcuCj5kB73elB6PbEzyW_bMZ3Ds-lez2CJhDBsQf9g5UJQ7uUedihRD2qw18E6HTY9MNKgQhA4_mon7iObISXw=w1214-h1009-no?authuser=0

Compressed (Note the DNM has a spring or something that automatically pushes the arm out again when you try to push it all the way in)

Xf5eemOyv7wwHV0fNLFP62xqfCxAT7NZGgtPGnd8NgUPvZ9msJ7C0l_B9ME_p_Gpv_GtZBtSMWWBlCP4fNQRDPMoUVnuOAXdOROH-SNRla21HnPdkoNFpH_yH_UpKALdaTq4XVPuOC-0FGJ_Vw5_enc4nqrUd3gzHlLKQ99bPSbp7jc0vwatpwhgQMThMaRoY6GTtqLrhZM17aP2HX32ZWvpq5N8ubaMYM3QXg6mDLPwfbymQvmhJBvDAvkloMNAZqxBQoWFtOKG3OWRAR-OBdeXx1cJ3o-sBnue6Ser4GKwLgYcYtH-WoKuGY_kLUU8SzelJhSXIzXsKYmUsiHbjwVKm1iHo6IcptyKnnILoQm22i8pySTVk7qeOzfA32ODb8O-v4uyk8ykejdswSoeSvORDTe6fD8wqqUurWmJoALouVi5DWGcS0Pk3qKDAHFGjUq-deKJcn-SCTEzqSqMkxOS7wtHzdN1vodtajyaM0rbmedQ0Nxxnqx-d55J7nSJliW1M9yA1pn0tXZolgcDuox4ZWL8fH4E-HlWQeR8oEPFBdeLc09qh5S3J09c0DgGhIDnLF8cjbhTPr4k21uTIpXBSuRMjX8J3_BIG2pr2KMfEGzApR5yMdTH0SqlNuXnE15PePUioVL3hOwLDcEiZSVLPBr8POwS524gsDNUj0ls6QOIvUFVSQW5YxtQFBnmtgjk8MrhmSh8evATzLbw2CZhYw=w1346-h1009-no?authuser=0

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to measure the stock shock has been a mission. 

You've got to measure the middle of a hole and you're talking about millimeters of play. I designed and printed a simple rig to try and help get the exact centre but I don't fully trust this. 

My best guess measurement is the stock shock is 193mm eye to eye with 43mm travel. the shock does expand a bit so I had to take the compressed measurement while holding it down. 

Edit: Apparently my photos don't show. hopefully the one below works:

xjUI59M.jpeg

Edited by Eyss
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Tawpie said:

KellyC and Shibby_time took a hero out on the jump line and trails, they had already changed the shock though so it's not stock. I'd summarize it as: great in the city, but lock out the suspension for the jumps (only possible because they changed the shock, and speaks more to the shock than the wheel as a whole). It has RS torque. It's kind of noisy too.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was die hard for S20 and after few review of disappointment vs marketing back August 2021. I decided cancel my order and get Hero HS, and it is coming in next few days. I hear so much about Master replacing Hero, but to me that Hero is same level that S20 but faster lol

Now for some of you may not know, we have video of S20 catch in fire at NY demo. Happy, I pull my order out!

My story can be follow bellow :)

USA channel:https://www.youtube.com/c/FrenchUsaEUC

French channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGeTYYYELvSqPF0Z0Is6eJQ

1 hour ago, FrenchUsa said:

Today got Hero HS, going to make video soon about it, I am just amazed by the wheel!

2022-04-04 19.18.42.jpg

Awesome! Congrats on the new wheel. I'm curious, did it come stock with the silver pedals, or did you install them yourself?