New Begode "Hero" Suspension Wheel

3 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Awesome! Congrats on the new wheel. I'm curious, did it come stock with the silver pedals, or did you install them yourself?

Yes it is stock, not a cheap pedals with spikes.

• Thanks 1

I just ordered a Hero High Speed! Hopefully the nobby tires are good on the roads too.

I'm upgrading from an MSuper V3 so it will be a dramatic jump up in quality and technology!

• Like 3

Got my Hero today, holy ish!

I got the high speed version with knobby tire

Huge adjustment from my old MSuper V3, seven brand new features for me to figure out all at once:

3" wheel, 20" wheel, knobby tire, power pads, double the weight of 40 lbs, spiked pedals, suspension.

But man what a dream ride. And in a sense it's the direct descendent of my old MSuper V3. Just space age. And missing out on so many generations of wheels due to finances just makes this all the more savory. 

Forgot to try seated riding, that would have been another 1st.

I'm glad this wheel is at least relatively understated, and mostly black.

I'm the only guy in town with an EUC, and it's a blue collar town and our economy right now is officially hard times. I wouldn't want to be riding around a flashy red KS-20 right now, but maybe that's ridiculous to worry about provoking envy for a device that only costs as much as a scooter. And scooters are the orphans of the motorcycle world.

OK, I won't feel guilty, and if a few people think I'm showing off or something that's a nothing burger as well.

Questions from my first ride on the Hero:

Do knobby tires grip wet/rainy pavement well when turning?

Do people get their feet stuck on spike pedals when dismounting?

Do you guys use a stand for your Hero or do you just lean it back and use the kickstand? Probably need a very tall stand due to the pedal height.

guess that's it, thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Esash

Spike pedals are a necessity for me, I have Clark’s on all my wheels and never prevented me from dismounting. Just practice a few times and you’ll learn to pick up your foot when dismounting rather than sliding your foot off. You’ll get use to them quickly and you’re never going to want anything else. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What kind of battery configuration is in the AlienRides Hero HT? Just checking to see if they too are using custom cells like ewheels is using. Any info on the battery what kind it uses?

6 hours ago, WILSON-YT said:

What kind of battery configuration is in the AlienRides Hero HT? Just checking to see if they too are using custom cells like ewheels is using. Any info on the battery what kind it uses?

Stock batteries. If AR was using custom cells they would have advertised as such.

I was having a bit of tentative buyer's remorse until I lowered the air pressure on the tire yesterday. Now I love it. So if you buy from Alien Rides, keep in mind that the tire might come fully inflated.

As I'd read elsewhere, these offroad tires are a lot more stable with lower tire pressure, and it's true.

One benefit that the Hero has over he Master and S20/22 is that it's a slimmer wheel, with what I can only assume is a more comfortable stance of less than shoulder width apart. I'm really appreciating that.

And I wasn't really digging the pads until I tried wearing hiking boots, and now they're great. So the extra space of the pads gives you room for wearing boots and/or knee/shin guards.

• Like 2

Now I'm back to not liking the stock pads. They're fine for general cruising if you wear boots or shin guards, but for any kind of performance or steep hills they don't cut it at all.

My dilemma is whether to add foam to the bottom and insides of these stock pads, or whether to just buy some Clark Pads or similar.

I was cruising down a steep hill at about 14 mph and found myself completely helpless to brake. I felt like I would have fallen off the back of my wheel if I leaned back any further.

Part of it was probably that I have the high speed version of the Hero.

Guess I really need to have my toes and my heels locked down to the pedals better, so I can lean back aggressively when going down steep hills, and for acceleration without falling forward.

I know Alien Rides added extra foam to the bottom of the pads to give better lockdown, and that's probably all I would need to do. But getting some Clark Pads would probably give me a better sense of security.

A while back chooch expressed the idea that maybe hockey pucks glued above the toes would provide good lockdown and jumping ability.

But with Clark Pads I'd have those puck shaped lower pads doing the same thing without worrying about hockey pucks becoming unglued when I need them most.

2 hours ago, Esash said:

I was cruising down a steep hill at about 14 mph and found myself completely helpless to brake. I felt like I would have fallen off the back of my wheel if I leaned back any further.

Part of it was probably that I have the high speed version of the Hero.

The issue you are describing is a geometry issue, not related to the maximum torque capabilities of the wheel.

As you wrote, better pads or better positioned pads does help the geometry as you can easier get your weight further behind the wheel, and with more stability.

Another thing that helps a lot is switching to a bit softer riding mode. It allows you to reach the lean with less effort. I personally find braking on the hardest mode to be insufficient and requiring too much effort on all 16x3” and larger wheels, pads or no pads.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The issue you are describing is a geometry issue, not related to the maximum torque capabilities of the wheel.

As you wrote, better pads or better positioned pads does help the geometry as you can easier get your weight further behind the wheel, and with more stability.

Another thing that helps a lot is switching to a bit softer riding mode. It allows you to reach the lean with less effort. I personally find braking on the hardest mode to be insufficient and requiring too much effort on all 16x3” and larger wheels, pads or no pads.

Thanks. I was in medium riding mode, I might be wrong but I believe in easy mode that the pedals tilt too much, maybe worsening my geometry issues.

I tried just moving the stock pads down to the pedals, so down about 2". I'll try that out before trying something more drastic.

thanks again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Esash said:

Thanks. I was in medium riding mode, I might be wrong but I believe in easy mode that the pedals tilt too much, maybe worsening my geometry issues.

Worth a try though, maybe? The soft modes on current wheels aren’t always even very soft. Nothing at all what we had just a few years ago.

18 minutes ago, Esash said:

I tried just moving the stock pads down to the pedals, so down about 2". I'll try that out before trying something more drastic.

That probably helps.

One more thing is the foot position. If you feel that the wheel accelerate fine but braking is difficult, standing back just hang an inch should balance things out.

For larger wheels some people use an offset foot positioning. That way you always have one foot in a good position for accelerating, and one for braking. I haven’t found it suitable for me personally, but could be worth a try for some.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Worth a try though, maybe? The soft modes on current wheels aren’t always even very soft. Nothing at all what we had just a few years ago.

That probably helps.

One more thing is the foot position. If you feel that the wheel accelerate fine but braking is difficult, standing back just hang an inch should balance things out.

For larger wheels some people use an offset foot positioning. That way you always have one foot in a good position for accelerating, and one for braking. I haven’t found it suitable for me personally, but could be worth a try for some.

Thank you very much, I will try the offset foot positions.

My lower-the-pads theory didn't work out in practice, since it cost me my shin support. 

And yeah I need to try easy mode again up and down steep hills.

Thanks so much again for all the help.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Esash said:

I know Alien Rides added extra foam to the bottom of the pads to give better lockdown, and that's probably all I would need to do. But getting some Clark Pads would probably give me a better sense of security.

A while back chooch expressed the idea that maybe hockey pucks glued above the toes would provide good lockdown and jumping ability.

But with Clark Pads I'd have those puck shaped lower pads doing the same thing without worrying about hockey pucks becoming unglued when I need them most.

The stock pads are bad. I got ride of them after my first ride. 

I've tried clark pads a few times and I don't think they're worth buying. About as thin as the stock pads. 

The grizzla pads are becoming massively popular so I'd go with them. I don't have them on my Hero but have a 3d printed pads that are similar I believe
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5112744

Since the Hero has that annoying gap between the batteries, it makes it hard to mount pads like grizzlas so I designed a basic platform to bridge the gap
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5254739

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Eyss said:

The stock pads are bad. I got ride of them after my first ride. 

I've tried clark pads a few times and I don't think they're worth buying. About as thin as the stock pads. 

The grizzla pads are becoming massively popular so I'd go with them. I don't have them on my Hero but have a 3d printed pads that are similar I believe
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5112744

Since the Hero has that annoying gap between the batteries, it makes it hard to mount pads like grizzlas so I designed a basic platform to bridge the gap
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5254739

I might try the Grizzlas, but I heard they were kind of soft. These stock Hero pads have been described as maybe too firm, but I think I like that aspect of them.

Today I'm going to adjust the sideways/inward tilt of my pedals, since I had them on the flattest setting. Some inward tilt will hopefully make me feel more locked in and able to use some leverage when braking and going up hills.

And easy riding mode, that's my other variable to test.

Otherwise it looks like Grizzla pads might be the way to go.

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hoodi Hood
    Casey Bretthauer i really sorry i must choose between hero and master... i still completely lost bro😩 🤷🏾‍♂️

• 1h
  •  

Casey Bretthauer
    Author
    Hoodi Hood if you don't need the MOST power in the world get the hero hands down it's 10x better built and one of the most comfortable wheels I own and have ridden

On 4/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, Esash said:

Thank you very much, I will try the offset foot positions.

My lower-the-pads theory didn't work out in practice, since it cost me my shin support. 

And yeah I need to try easy mode again up and down steep hills.

Thanks so much again for all the help.

Yeah offset foot positions seems to be gold on the rs19 high speed I get rarely any wobbles now when going over 60k/ph I’m so glad I Velcro’d my begode power pads on so I can move them around until I found the golden positions where the wheel felt the most stable 👌🏻😎👌🏻

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Yeah offset foot positions seems to be gold on the rs19 high speed I get rarely any wobbles now when going over 60km/h.

Just curious, what tire pressure are you using?

1 hour ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Yeah offset foot positions seems to be gold on the rs19 high speed I get rarely any wobbles now when going over 60k/ph I’m so glad I Velcro’d my begode power pads on so I can move them around until I found the golden positions where the wheel felt the most stable 👌🏻😎👌🏻

dude you're going way faster than me and I've been riding for like 5 years.

I'm so used to maxing out at 20 mph on my old wheel that 25 feels like why would I ever want to go faster.

Beeps don't start on my Hero hs until 40 mph, so i need to start pushing myself more to go faster.