New Begode "Hero" Suspension Wheel

33 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So it seems to be some kind of standardized part? Ok good.

I have no idea if the wheel runs to any of the usual standardized MTB measurements. It may well not do, but it might still be close enough to work fine with an MTB size if its within 5mm of E2E or stroke.

DNM actually make a 165/35 which I would think is pretty close to the stock sizing. Fox or Rockshox would be preferable to DNM but as usual yer pays yer money..but DNM isnt bad for the price. I wouldnt run anything with a lower spec than DNM tbh.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is the shock absorber in the suspension a standard part than can be replaced with various options, or is it some custom thing?

Alien rides are offering a suspension upgrade on their shop, so there's definitely one out there. 

It's pretty annoying they changed the shock from the initial review. One of the reasons I went for the hero was kuji liking the suspension. 

At least the dnm shock isn't too expensive. 

Edited by Eyss
  • Like 1

I have a bit of sympathy for Begode here. Clearly the Hero is streets ahead of the usual Begode batteries in a plastic box product with each further iteration being a slightly modified version of parts in the same plastic box. It must have cost Begode at 2 to 3 times more to produce the Hero than say the EXN. Pretty much every part is new. Castings, moldings etc plus all the design ideas (some good , others not so much). Then after they released teaser info every second person on the forums slagged off at them about the price.  They must have been thinking, "Damn westerners. They moan about the quality so when we put some money into a new product they moan about the price."

I suspect a lot of the poor quality is a result of Begode trying to make the Hero at a price it will be bought. I saw a lot of interesting ideas in the breakdown of the Hero by Ecodrift and Denis Hagov. I couldn't help wondering if Ecodrift got the one they rode into the lake/sea. One thing that intrigued me was how the motor/wheel was connected to the rest (controller,batteries,suspension and rider) via the sliders by only two steel tubes of dubious quality. I have to wonder if that is all you need (and I suspect it is given non suspension wheels only have half a dozen small screws into a plastic shell) then why don't the EUC manufacturers just use some motorcycle forks?

Hero suspension.png

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DavidB said:

and I suspect it is given non suspension wheels only have half a dozen small screws into a plastic shell

If I understand correctly, on non-suspension wheels those small screws have to hold the EUC body (around 20kg), while the rider (60-120kg?) is held by the pedal hangers which attach more or less directly to the axle with properly sized bolts/screws.

On a suspension wheel, however, those tubes have to withstand the combined weight (of which the rider is the much heavier one anyway).

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/riaslAsy8n8

Alien rides have their video out now. 

They said they used a dnm 190mm single chamber shock (DNM AO 38?) and that the dual chamber ones didn't fit which was a shame. 

edit: Looks like:

https://www.dnmshock.com/products.php?func=p_detail&p_id=18&pc_parent=13

Edited by Eyss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, That Guy said:

I can imagine someone at the factory just hoped it to be counted as damage in transit…

On the other hand, how soft this suspension pipe should be to bend like this (without anything else badly damaged)? Weird.

On the flip side, it was rusty for some so is that steel? Then it could be bent back to shape.

1 minute ago, That Guy said:

I can imagine someone at the factory just hoped it to be counted as damage in transit…

On the other hand, how soft this suspension pipe should be to bend like this (without anything else badly damaged)? Weird.

I cant see how this would be managed at assembly stage, the bend rod would be hard to install. This looks like  caused during transport. 

19 hours ago, enaon said:

I cant see how this would be managed at assembly stage, the bend rod would be hard to install. This looks like  caused during transport. 

Yep,that would be my verdict as well.

Begode will need to put something to stop suspension compression during shipping so the steel tube is completely within the sliders. But that would only solve the "busted on arrival" problem. Looking at the way the pedal hanger sticks out and their connection to the bottom of the suspension tube it looks like the first hit on the side in a crash will bend the tube.

I worry about the batteries as well.

Edited by DavidB
correction
  • Like 2

It is as if Begode comes up with a decent concept but the company is unable to execute the idea properly. I like many of the ideas incorporated in this wheel but.... It seems it is sort of rushed to market before being fully sorted. 

Whereas Kingsong have delayed the release of S20 to make sure they don't have such problems.(hopefully).

Edited by DavidB

12 hours ago, DavidB said:

It is as if Begode comes up with a decent concept but the company is unable to execute the idea properly. I like many of the ideas incorporated in this wheel but.... It seems it is sort of rushed to market before being fully sorted.

Very true. Half of everything is great, the other half ruins it.

And now we have two (or one and a half) companies half-assing EUCs - Begode and Extreme Bull! :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Complicated structure + multiple little design overlooks + poor assembly quality = no thanks... I live a thousand km away from the nearest service centre...

You could be describing just about any of the wheels released in the last 2 years. If you don't like gambling, dont buy a new euc, thats for sure. Isnt RollNZ somewhat close to you? I dunno if they do service tho. Sales and service don't always go hand in hand in this industry.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You could be describing just about any of the wheels released in the last 2 years. If you don't like gambling, dont buy a new euc, thats for sure. Isnt RollNZ somewhat close to you? I dunno if they do service tho. Sales and service don't always go hand in hand in this industry.

Yeah, I know, I know. :-) To my current understanding, Abrams may be the simplest/easiest to open and reassemble (minus of course, the first batch gambling)...

I think there have been three or four good disassembly videos for Hero so far, all with comments about more complicated construction than average.

BTW, RollNZ ( @The Fat Unicyclist ) are great and go above and beyond for their customers - we are spoilt here, but they are not quite next door tho:

image.png.998f0b0d2ecb5949126d097ee8fd2f67.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, That Guy said:

RollNZ ( @The Fat Unicyclist ) are great and go above and beyond for their customers

100% agree Kevin and Chrissi are true stars in the EUC industry!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody here swapped the shock out? 

Alien rides mentioned he used a dnm 190mm shock but not sure whether you need a ao-rc38 (50mm travel) or a aoy-rc38 (35mm travel). 

Or does it not matter in this instance?

Haven't got my hero yet but should get it in a week so wanting to sort out the upgrades first.