(New) Gotway " Extreme Bull " Commander leaked datasheet

The fan is tilted away from the board and the heat sink, blowing onto the bottom curve of the wheel well. Being an axial fan it also doesn’t have much static pressure, which the kinked (small holes, angles) air flow would have needed.. (IMO)

Fan in ExBull is +- joke and here is my opinion:

I think fan si here becasue front lights.

That 2 powerfull LED light generate strong/big/extreme heat in "almost" closed space.

Sherman have  2 active Fans not make good job cooling control board anyway ,mutch more important is airflow when ride for sucesfully cooling my sherman V2.

V11 frontlight need cooling too.

Sherman light is realy hot after longer time ON ,and have unlimited airflow and case/box made like cooler.

• Like 1

I have similar thoughts to DjPanJan.

After looking at Marty's first ride with lights on and EUC Upgrade breakdown. It would appear the only air intake for the control board are some miniscule holes on the bottom outside edges of the headlight housing. There is your problem.

Kuji is a lightweight but he rides hard. Maybe an overheated control board caused his cut-off.

The headlight housing appears separate from the shell halves so maybe a fix is just a simple redesign of a small part where the headlight heat is vented and the air intake for the control board is separated from the air cooling the lights.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1

When the headlights are on, will the fan blow air heated by the LEDs onto the board?

The commander heatsink is beefy and should get plenty of airflow from the wheel well however when riding at speed.
You're right @div I recall the teardown and it doesn't get any airflow from anywhere, my bad.
Seems like an obvious design flaw. We know that Shermans which air duct gets obstructed overhead consistently: this is basically the Commander's design  :facepalm:

There's no doubt the controller will handle a  lot of amps to make this heavy wheel responsive.
It's concerning if the High Torque version would run hot.. then imagine the high speed one.

It's speculation for now tho, but this is clearly not promising.
What's pretty bad is the fan noise already. Sherman is a lot better here.

Edited by supercurio
Cross wrong statement regarding the heatsink & wheel well.

3 hours ago, supercurio said:

The commander heatsink is beefy and should get plenty of airflow from the wheel well however when riding at speed.

If it went there yes, but it doesn’t communicate with the well at all.. (Sherman style) 
There is even tape between the shells to avoid water ingress.

957537494_ScreenShot2021-10-14at21_16_45.jpg.3d75f00b846dda77b6e7e3c59b6b93ab.jpg

Edited by div
  • Like 3

There would be people who don't read forums like this, and buy a Commander, unaware of such serious safety design flaws.

Do distributors have a duty of care to not stock or sell products that they know to very likely fail at a low threshold?

Self interest alone would be a good reason, to not have to deal with warranty claims, associated costs, extremely annoyed customers, etc.

Seems farcical that after so many years of manufacturing experience, such simple, obvious design flaws need to be discovered and pointed out by others.

Seems the new name badge Extreme Bull is an attempt to disassociate from the well deserved Gotway/Begode reputation of poor quality, poor safety.

Normal riding in countries with a warm climate might be enough for a cutout, let alone pushing a wheel to higher performance.

• Like 1

Hmm...tbf, any reasonable spill on a sherman is likely to damage/break the front/rear lights as well as the top cover/shell despite the roll bar being present (which also get mangled to boot). This exact scenario happened to a sherman I replaced the bms on recently. So its not like the roll bar really does much imo, it simply isnt strong enough to contain the weight of a tumbling sherman. It is however perfect for attaching a seat/accessories.

I do however agree with the concerns over the Commanders cooling. The inlet/outlet ports appear woefully small. Truth be told I would like to see larger ones even on the Sherman. That said, until further testing is done on the Commander I am not sure I can pass judgement.

One thing is for sure, cramming 3600Wh into a Sherman form factor peaks my interest. The Monster is just too big for riders like myself so the Commander has potential to be a winner on this front. And as has been said, having the torque option really does fill a gap for those who want Monster range, Sherman form factor and MSP HT torque.

I will also reserve judgement on the Commander buzzer, yes its in a daft place but the design itself could potentially be very loud, possibly even louder than a Sherman by the time it reaches the riders ears.

But in all, yes I can see some cooling mods being done on the Commander with the careful applications of Mr Dremel and Mrs Drill!

• Like 3

Despite ECU Upgrade emphasising replacing the headlights or speakers will require disassembling everything, the housings look like separate units that may be removable without splitting the shell halves. If not, drilling a hole between the lights towards the top of the light housing may be a simple fix for ventilation. In fact, if you look closely at an image posted here earlier it does seem to have an air vent there. Somewhere between design and production it was left out 5239453e8fa608b3f532545d884b9406.jpg

Edited by DavidB

@Marty Backe  Waiting on the test results!  I know it wasn't overheat hill but an incline none the less.  Did it pass the test!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I particularly like how they produce a wheel aimed for speed and distance and then remove the rear lights (a legal requirement in most countries) and replace them with 2 easily damaged speakers. 

It has 2 LED strips on the back doesn't it?

• Like 1

The point I was making was in response to Mike saying there weren't any lights. The brightness/effectiveness of them is another conversation. As for legality, it's irrelevant over here anyway. You could put a 500w red spotlight on the back and it would still be illegal :)

In any event, I would say two LED strips are more noticeable than a static rear light, especially if it's anything like the Sherman which is incredibly dim (although it does make the brake light seem pretty bright, which I find really handy when group riding).

• Like 1

...also, thoughts on the latest Marty's attempt to ride to the Overheat Hill?...

I don't understand electronics and it is hard for me to understand whether temperatures of say, 75 degrees C (167F) are "too high" for any electronic board or some of them can be made to successfully and permanently withstand them? Is this design completely flawed and Commander is a dangerous/stupid purchase?

75°C is a normal operating temperature for many electronic components, and is not harmful.
The power capacitors, for example, have their ratings clearly printed on the part: 105°C for my Gotway controllers, for example.
The MOSFETs are rated to 175°C (!).

The only practical concern Marty raised was "if it was hotter outside." You should expect that the air-cooled controller will rise in temperature nearly identically to the outdoor temperature, so if Marty made the trip on a 5°C hotter day, he we have hit 80°C board temp and would have alarms and tiltback.

42 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Is this [electrical] design completely flawed

Of course not.
And it's not a new design :) 
It's the same control board type, voltage, and motor that have proven relatively durable in countless Gotways before.

Commander's "issue" is lack of airflow to its heatsink; not its electrical design.
Thankfully, as Marty said, we can increase airflow through simple modification of the shell plastics.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1