Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

Ack! Anyone have any intel on a spring for light-weight riders? It'll most certainly be aftermarket, and will probably have to be measured and tried. But I'm pretty sure I'll need a different spring (I don't want to have to carry a V12 in order for the suspension to work)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Ack! Anyone have any intel on a spring for light-weight riders? It'll most certainly be aftermarket, and will probably have to be measured and tried. But I'm pretty sure I'll need a different spring (I don't want to have to carry a V12 in order for the suspension to work)

How much do you weigh?

9 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

fully geared... 135. I'm, you know, one of those riders that can get the advertised mileage out of my wheels (weight and I don't go fast fast fast!)

You are my size then.  I weigh 133 lbs. without any gears.  I am also short at 5'5" tall.  I pre-ordered the S20 at ewheels on the first day that ewheels announced the $100 deposit.  I hope that I can manage the S20 due to its heavy weight relative to me.

3 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

I hope that I can manage the S20 due to its heavy weight relative to me.

With ya on that... the weight is the 1 thing that I'm concerned about, especially off road. I have however seen kids on wheels that literally weighed as much as the kid, and they seemed fine—so there'll be a learning curve but it should be learnable. I did ask Jason at eWheels about a lighter spring, he indicated that they were aware of the need but at the time the wheel was still a render so he had no additional advice. Looking on the MTB forums, NMC makes a 550 lb/in spring and a 750 lb/in, but the sizing (36 mm inside diameter) looks to be pretty standard so it should be possible to get alternatives.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

My concern is that there is no optional spring for heavier riders should the stock spring not be enough.  I'm nearly double your weight.  Dnm doesn't produce a thicker spring than the 750lb one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

fully geared... 135. I'm, you know, one of those riders that can get the advertised mileage out of my wheels (weight and I don't go fast fast fast!)

About the same weight as me. I'm not rushing in to an S20 purchase (I had regrets over having a first batch 16x), so I'll be following how lighter riders get on with the wheel and suspension set up.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

About the same weight as me. I'm not rushing in to an S20 purchase (I had regrets over having a first batch 16x), so I'll be following how lighter riders get on with the wheel and suspension set up.

I hope Chooch will get a chance to test out the S20 because he is about 130-135 lbs.  However, due to his great riding skill, the S20 will be an easy ride for him and this can cause an illusion that the $20 would be a good fit for light riders.

19 hours ago, Grimm10 said:

My concern is that there is no optional spring for heavier riders should the stock spring not be enough.  I'm nearly double your weight.  Dnm doesn't produce a thicker spring than the 750lb one.

I think you're gonna really struggle with springs tbh, most MTB ones usually max out around 550lb given the front end is doing a lot of the work too. If it were me, I would probably put a decent air shock on it but then you may get near the max can pressure too...which is about 325psi. For info I run about 190psi on my MTB, and I'm around 90kg.

Has KS indicated if they'll be shipping with the DNM 750 lb/in spring or the 550? I poked numbers into the many MTB rear spring calculators (100% weight on the rear spring, guessing 60 mm shock travel, and guessing 180 mm wheel travel) and they generally said I should be in the 550 range. I'm encouraged because DNM does make a 550 lb/in spring for the RCP-2S (and shipped it as a factory option... they also made a 450 lb/in spring for the RCP-2S but who knows if that's obtainable).

I thought KS had two spring weights... regular and heavy. I had an interaction with Jack about this previously, probably on this thread.

the sad thing is... I probably need one of these wheels lol...!!  I'm not in a rush though and will let all the good folks here beta test them first :) during your beta tests, please find an oh! so! sweet! replacement coilover shock for the wheel! ;)

Edited by UniMe

So…is this still prototype or mass product version?

if KS still launching a prototype after so much test videos and delays, then this will be like first launch experience of S18..think I just have dejavu..

however I really hope the best for this wheel..put my money on it..👍

10 hours ago, Beachboy said:

So…is this still prototype or mass product version?

if KS still launching a prototype after so much test videos and delays, then this will be like first launch experience of S18..think I just have dejavu..

however I really hope the best for this wheel..put my money on it..👍

I would think pre-production. That would mean it is built exactly like production would be built. It is used to find build problems and issues. Basically to test the build process. Prototype builds have a large degree of hand building and is not built on a production line.

• Like 1

From what I gather from various posts and even the official KS instagram post it's the actualy batch 1 production line, the demo wheels was already made and in transit.

• Like 1

If it is a preproduction wheel then mostlikely there will be imperfection on the product, so why would a factory release it just to get feed back? didn’t KS have QC guys to do the job?

I know not all received this long-awaited wheel but if they buy it and its not perfect..wouldn’t this slap KS again? 

21 minutes ago, Beachboy said:

If it is a preproduction wheel then mostlikely there will be imperfection on the product

Pre-production or first set of production batches, I think we all know that there will be some or many things that need to be improved... it's the cost of being an early adopter

why would a factory release it just to get feed back?

That's exactly what's happening... until it is in actual use by end customers (us), they can only guess at what we're going to do to it. So we are beta testers for a while. It's basically a fact of life with new product introductions.

didn’t KS have QC guys to do the job?

My guess: QC does what they feel is best to assure that the things they already know about are "good". After many hundred individual wheels are able to get many thousands of miles on them, in a wide assortment of riding conditions, QC will have a better idea about what is actually important and what isn't.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)