Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

11 minutes ago, nosamplesplease said:

But that battery itself should not be handled by the end user, ever.

I wouldn't go that far... it is possible to safely handle a battery, but you do need to observe precautions. If that clear stuff they wrapped everything up in is the same stuff they use for retail blister packs, the cells and BMS are pretty safe from me. It is comforting to see more battery protection in a wheel that's intended to be used off road and will get bashed around pretty badly. I hope it's sufficient, :eff006f726: will tell.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I wouldn't go that far... it is possible to safely handle a battery, but you do need to observe precautions. If that clear stuff they wrapped everything up in is the same stuff they use for retail blister packs, the cells and BMS are pretty safe from me. It is comforting to see more battery protection in a wheel that's intended to be used off road and will get bashed around pretty badly. I hope it's sufficient, :eff006f726: will tell.

True that was a bit absolute of me. Everyone's capacity for care is different. 

I like to think of dangerous things as needing to idiot-proof. Most people will do fine, but one is them is always going to get it wrong enough to break it. Things that burn when broken...fires that are almost impossible to put out...

Sadly I want to say, as delivered, installing batteries in Gotway wheels is less dangerous to the user. Just wish the batteries themselves were safer in use.

My issue is needing to slide the battery past a thin metal edge isn't great when the battery is only protected by a flexible piece of plastic. I see scraping. Especially if the thing you are sliding in deflects towards the side you can't see.

The plastic case on the batteries from a v11 or V12 are, while not intended to be user serviced, are less likely to be mishandled.

Ideally I would like to see an ABS shell with a nonNewtonian layer between the actual cells and this ABS shell. Woah God, would that be expensive comparatively. I expect to never see this and don't demand it as an end user. But short of that I wouldn't be praising anyone for battery safety.

As much as I HATE ebikes, they are doing batteries that end users can handle better.

At the end of the day none of what I prattle on about matters. I expect every wheel that isn't airshipped would have these installed by the dealer. For just this reason.

The service model extant with EUCs tells me end users will be doing this with wheels that need repair.

This is my concern. End users with no recourse other than DIY. 

10 hours ago, nosamplesplease said:

True that was a bit absolute of me. Everyone's capacity for care is different. 

I like to think of dangerous things as needing to idiot-proof. Most people will do fine, but one is them is always going to get it wrong enough to break it. Things that burn when broken...fires that are almost impossible to put out...

Sadly I want to say, as delivered, installing batteries in Gotway wheels is less dangerous to the user. Just wish the batteries themselves were safer in use.

My issue is needing to slide the battery past a thin metal edge isn't great when the battery is only protected by a flexible piece of plastic. I see scraping. Especially if the thing you are sliding in deflects towards the side you can't see.

The plastic case on the batteries from a v11 or V12 are, while not intended to be user serviced, are less likely to be mishandled.

Ideally I would like to see an ABS shell with a nonNewtonian layer between the actual cells and this ABS shell. Woah God, would that be expensive comparatively. I expect to never see this and don't demand it as an end user. But short of that I wouldn't be praising anyone for battery safety.

As much as I HATE ebikes, they are doing batteries that end users can handle better.

At the end of the day none of what I prattle on about matters. I expect every wheel that isn't airshipped would have these installed by the dealer. For just this reason.

The service model extant with EUCs tells me end users will be doing this with wheels that need repair.

This is my concern. End users with no recourse other than DIY. 

End users need to be up-skilled. Nothing more.

The bits in regards to the battery packaging imo have more weight than there being issues with expecting end users to have to follow this when servicing/diagnosing issues.

It's true that e-bikes have a nice battery enclosure. However that's quite impractical for EUC's, right here for example it would make this Wide Boi wider than it already is. 

An example of succesful upskilling would be the existance of petrol (gas) stations. Who would think that all the idiots you see on the road are allowed access to a flamethrower everytime they top up. It works though.

Here, you can see grooves for the both the top and the bottom of the battery packing, so there isn't really a reason why we shouldn't expect end users of a £2500+ wheel to be able to slide a battery into a shell.

In regards to the battery safety (clearance etc), if the wheel lands badly against a sharp protrusion it does seem possible to dent the casing in a way that would also damage the bms. The single saving grace seems to be the existance of the pads. With the pads added there is much less possibility of that type of damage being possible. So it just leaves damage from a impact, which is where your custard barrier would help. But equally, you could get some 3M or something and try and wedge it in there to act a shock absorber, but again the clearance does look preeety tight.

Edit: Rewatching the battery install video, it does seem like there is some clearance along the top (back of bms).

Edited by PourUC
Addition
  • Like 2

In the front of the battery case aluminium profile, there is the trolley handle. If you dent the front facing corner of it, your trolley handle is probably stuck, but the battery should be fine. I agree that the existence of side pads (be it original or your favorite velcroed-on power/jumpad) should give it only a very little chance of getting damaged. Much more safe than behind a plastic shell like in my EX.N.

Edited by btl
  • Like 2

Look on it as a developing market opportunity for @Chrissi! 

Joking apart, a neoprene jacket with substantial corners or inserts/covers for same (I’m no 3D printer, but I 100% ‘get’ their usefulness) could go a long way for the majority of up to appx ‘half send’ incidents, though this would be entirely the responsibility of the rider anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Although, it looks like it starts as a motor and tire, to which you add all the rest of the stuff. How much of that’ll have to come off to fix a flat?

🤞

There is that curious machined part of the motor cover?

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 2

So in this video we can see that batteries are assembled fully in factory putting minds at ease that end-user would have to do it. 😏

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eucner said:

Stop this nonsense. The hollow axle is inside the motor.

You can always argue that the inner rim of the hollow motor is the axle. For me, if it isn't an extra piece of metal that is pushed in/welded in and sticks out, it's not an axle (with all its associatd problems). That was the point of saying "no axle".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jack ex-KS said:

I know you have your review coming, but any word on the final weight of the production model? :) Super curios.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I know you have your review coming, but any word on the final weight of the production model? :) Super curios.

The most recent info has listed the S20 coming in at 35 Kg, or 77 lbs.

272684432_10159819372651952_8637774967392646643_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Grimm10 said:

The most recent info has listed the S20 coming in at 35 Kg, or 77 lbs.

Where is that from? All official sources (official website, jack) been unsure what production unit would weigh and was all different guesstimates, would rather have solid number and not another guesstimate.

14 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Where is that from? All official sources (official website, jack) been unsure what production unit would weigh and was all different guesstimates, would rather have solid number and not another guesstimate.

I got it from Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159819372606952&set=g.1876404869187267

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)