Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Last I read, the earliest shipping date is April 2022. Yeah, it’s being pushed back. My guess is July 2022 before we see any meaningful supply being delivered to customers.

Ouch! Where did you hear this? 

Most dealers still saying dec/jan

Edited by GoldenOne

29 minutes ago, Codespanker said:

Dec/Jan is basically impossible at this point 

Dec/Jan was ALWAYS going to be impossible with Feb/March or even April being tentatively suggested some months ago, so later than that would not surprise me in the least. 

These delays are valid in the current climate, along with the fact that King Song surely Do Not want the S20 to hit the market with anything like the amount of issues surrounding both the 16x and S18 releases, so are taking their time with this one!

No doubt there could still be some small teething issues, when it does finally become ready for the market, but at this stage we have Only just this week seen what looks to be the "wide rim" on Only One of the prototypes being tested, so there is still some ways to go IMHO.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Last I read, the earliest shipping date is April 2022. Yeah, it’s being pushed back. My guess is July 2022 before we see any meaningful supply being delivered to customers.

Don't know where you read this, but this is not correct at the moment. I work at a distributor and we're still expecting first samples dec/jan with first units feb/mar. That may change, but April is definitely not forecasted right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codespanker said:

The production wheel doesn’t appear to be finished and tested. Then they have to manufacture it in bulk and then shipping. Plus the new year holiday. April is a safe bet, Dec/Jan is basically impossible at this point 

I think kingsong can cover those last steps quicker than most as the motor is custom not an off the shelf unit and they also do things like pcb printing/pick-and-place in house rather than outsource. So prototyping and production doesn't get slowed down waiting for orders to be filled by third parties like other companies might have. 

27 minutes ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Don't know where you read this, but this is not correct at the moment. I work at a distributor and we're still expecting first samples dec/jan with first units feb/mar. That may change, but April is definitely not forecasted right now.

Good to hear that it's not too far out, though not so great to hear it's likely going to miss the dec/jan window. 

Any idea why most distributors are still saying dec/jan? 

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

Only One of the prototypes being tested

There was a urban ride snippet with two units in the frame at the same time—not that two engineering pre production units is all that much different than one. But at one time, there were two!!!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, Mango said:

Wish we could get them by late spring for prime riding season but I'll take it. Gives me more time to get to 2k miles on my Tesla before spending more money:D

37 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

image.thumb.png.8b3b0b14af3fec18797c1ee9a4a421af.png

image.thumb.png.4fbb10cacec9396fc3fb979d90991fb0.png

Too bad but it was to be expected.

I’m curious to know what is modified following Kuji’s feedback. I thought he was more a “ride quality” person than electric details (from what is talked of in his videos).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, div said:

Too bad but it was to be expected.

I’m curious to know what is modified following Kuji’s feedback. I thought he was more a “ride quality” person than electric details (from what is talked of in his videos).

If it's based on kuji's feedback I'd be almost certain it's something to do with ergonomics.
He apparently had a fair bit of influence over the 'foot grip' indent on the S18 so it could be something with powerpads maybe? (He also likes to lean very far forward and that might not be doable with the angle of the powerpads we've seen so far? Maybe he wants the gap widened?)

OR, I'd say that maybe the width of the device is a concern, it does look pretty wide and maybe there's some optimisation to be done there in getting it a bit thinner?

• Like 2

:crying:

I may have to risk it with another first batch unit in order to ride a new wheel next summer. Already sold my V11 for S20. V13 is probably not going to make it in time either. 

• Like 2

I think I'm going to change my order from the S20 to the V12.  It's a safer bet that I'll get it sooner and by recent reviews, the V12 is a great wheel.  Further down the road, if the S20 is all it's all cracked out to be, I'll upgrade then.

• Like 3

I ended up getting a sherman which I'll probably then sell once s20 arrives. 

I predominantly ride on roads and on moderate off road trails so having the larger tyre and stability was ideal. 

Considered the v11 as the suspension would be nice but figured the veteran would be more enjoyable overall for road use

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

I ended up getting a sherman which I'll probably then sell once s20 arrives.

I did something similar... got a used S18 for suspension use this winter assuming the S20 wouldn't be around for a while. I plan to sell it if the S20 proves to be too big and heavy but am hoping and hoping that it's not—I want the range. So I want them to take their time and totally delight me!!! Make me sell the S18 (which is a very nice wheel BTW, if it was an XL I'd be keeping it for sure).

Edited by Tawpie

5 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I did something similar... got a used S18 for suspension use this winter assuming the S20 wouldn't be around for a while. I plan to sell it if the S20 proves to be too big and heavy but am hoping and hoping that it's not—I want the range.

Yeah the S20 looks perrrfect for my riding situation. I mostly ride on either country roads or moderate offroad trails (gravel tracks mostly in the New Forest), so a wheel with range, speed, but also one that is comfortable over slightly bumpy terrain is perfect. ie: the S20

The Sherman should hopefully be pretty damn good too. I don't need something super agile as I'm not doing super windy trails or anything, it's all pretty straight and open, but the big knobby tire should hopefully mean that the gravel tracks and slight bumpy terrain is handled better than my current KS18L

I have my S18 to keep me happy until the S20 arrives. It will be the perfect wheel for me. I will be able to ride with the big boys and girls on their Monster pros/Abrams/Commander/Sherman/EXN. It will not go as far as them but I will have fun on the trails and my back will not hurt. 

• Like 2

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)