Reckless riding is going to get us banned

1 hour ago, JustChris said:

All of what I know about the incident comes from my partner's explanation of events, as I have no memory of it until reaching the hospital.

I was riding very slowly, preparing to stop, when I apparently misjudged a large bump in the grass. My partner witnessed the fall, and said I made it over the bump, then lost my balance, and fell straight backwards. The wheel stopped right beside me, at my feet. I momentarily lost consciousness, but then started trying to get up. We decided I should rest for a couple minutes, then I said I was ready to go on. 

I rode another 1/2 mile without incident, but apparently I stopped, and asked where we were, and what had happened. I'm told I was very, very confused, and none of the things people said to me made any sense. I asked about 30 times what had happened, and couldn't seem to make sense of the explanation. That's when the paramedics were called.

You got a concussion for sure. I have had a couple from playing sports and what you describe are the typical symptoms. 

This also highlights the importance of always riding with a GOOD helmet, no matter if it is on the road, off-road or even in your own back yard on the lawn. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

50066581797_47caed835b_b.jpg

I mean to say, we've both had gruesome crashes. You with your shoulder, me being skinned up once, and another time I had to crawl up stairs and needed help gettin off toilets for a week. Just unbelievably painful crashes.

EUC crashes are no joke.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, postbio said:

Dumb on both sides.

It's all fun and games until someone messes with another with a concealed carry, lol. 

No demo Veteran Shermans were hurt in this melee. 

I'm refraining from judgement on this video, it doesn't show what led to the confrontation. In the comments someone mentions the driver tried to run the rider off the road, but the way a lot of these guys ride, I'm tempted to say I don't blame him. But jokes aside, who knows...I'd rather stay out of others' business and mind my own, much better for one's peace of mind... :whistling:

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 7:24 AM, travsformation said:

I'm refraining from judgement on this video, it doesn't show what led to the confrontation. In the comments someone mentions the driver tried to run the rider off the road, but the way a lot of these guys ride, I'm tempted to say I don't blame him. But jokes aside, who knows...I'd rather stay out of others' business and mind my own, much better for one's peace of mind... :whistling:

That's the kindest, most considerate, gentlest, and controlled fight I've ever seen or been involved in. Not even a single punch was thrown, and that kick was more like a caress. That kick could have been a soccer kick to the head, but instead it was a gesture placed in the one place with the least amount of injury--the ample midsection of a middle-aged man. The fight took forever for one guy (the loser) to lose his glasses, and I noticed he was holding his glasses in his hand while another person handed his expensive cell phone back.

Most fights should be this way.

• Like 2

Now I have not followers this that closely as I had to step back.

As the titel of the thread I agree that speed and especially in combination bad behaviour (here I mean meme attitude I have fun with no care to how others feel about this).

Yes I know some will jump on me.....but...I think and this is a strong embedded opinion...

How this guy point at rental escooters is how I think any pev rider can impact is all. Some use their EUC as speed toys. Fine do it at the right place. Go to a track where you aren't in public traffic, being road, cycle lane or sidewalk. 

And yes it is a few months old. But I think still we should pause a moment and think about both short and long term impact of our personal behaviour as we are part of a community.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:10 PM, postbio said:

Dumb on both sides.

It's all fun and games until someone messes with another with a concealed carry, lol. 

Thats a LOT of brevity. WAY TOO MANY people carrying around these parts. You don't want to engage in a confrontation as it can easily become WAY more lethal than anticipated. Im not in grade school anymore, I don't fight unless Im prepared for someone to go to the morgue. Its silly to think that noone will escalate a physical confrontation to lethal ends. This is anti-social behavior on both parties. Here's a hint... don't try to punch someone in the face, if they are wearing a helmet, use your blade. NYC boys are tough, i get it. However, even the smallest handicapped man can have the great equalizer in his pocket. Tread carefully out there people, and cackling in the background when this kind of thing happens, only perpetuates poor stereotypes. Having said that, I too am guilty of immature and childish behavior regularly. At this rate, I'm thinking the NYC EUC Collective is going to be labeled in such a manner that you would be VERY silly to be a known associate.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Yeah, a pretty civilized fight. Minimum damage. EUC riders were nice enough not to all jump in, not finish off the guy brutally, and even nice enough to hand back the driver's phone.

I can't stop laughing at how carefully and gently the Veteran Sherman was handed off before the melee. LOL! If this is the worst the EUC riders can get, it's not THAT bad, but the optics for the general public can be bad. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:13 PM, Neon EUC said:

The point is really simple and straight forward... you asked how other countries can swing a decision on law for our country to make euc legal...

I explained

You then asked for proof

I explained with France and e-scooters

And now you saying this? Give it up, your fighting a losing battle and you know it

why is this a battle for you? he's not even defending the NYC riders, to be fair, i was. I've again, ridden london (north london mostly, from like camden to crouch end.) when i was into eskate, and had no issues going full speed, which at the time for both euc's and eskate was about 25. There was definitely some bad decisions made at that demo, mostly fueled by excitement, but it's like, get over it. 

stop thinking you can control what anyone else on the planet does. You said your piece, i assure you the NYC guys know about these threads, you can sit down now.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Thats a LOT of brevity. WAY TOO MANY people carrying around these parts. You don't want to engage in a confrontation as it can easily become WAY more lethal than anticipated. Im not in grade school anymore, I don't fight unless Im prepared for someone to go to the morgue. Its silly to think that noone will escalate a physical confrontation to lethal ends. This is anti-social behavior on both parties. Here's a hint... don't try to punch someone in the face, if they are wearing a helmet, use your blade. NYC boys are tough, i get it. However, even the smallest handicapped man can have the great equalizer in his pocket. Tread carefully out there people, and cackling in the background when this kind of thing happens, only perpetuates poor stereotypes. Having said that, I too am guilty of immature and childish behavior regularly. At this rate, I'm thinking the NYC EUC Collective is going to be labeled in such a manner that you would be VERY silly to be a known associate.

lol, labeled by who? It's incredible to me that you think this community represents EUC riders, it doesn't. Just a small pocket of them, just like us. It's just our chat is live, and we have more active members, and daily rides due to our proximity. 

Should i find the biggest jerks in your community and judge you personally by them? 

lol. 

11 minutes ago, Jessedegenerate said:

lol, labeled by who? It's incredible to me that you think this community represents EUC riders, it doesn't. Just a small pocket of them, just like us. It's just our chat is live, and we have more active members, and daily rides due to our proximity. 

Should i find the biggest jerks in your community and judge you personally by them? 

lol. 

I am the biggest jerk in my neighborhood and i have video of it. I'd imagine the general public WOULD judge people in general by what is most viral in videos. Havent you been paying attention? People are labeling groups by the actions of the minority. It has always been this way.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't understand the constant discussion and concern over banning.

I for my first 4 years of riding i lived in a country that had banned this vehicle(Denmark), and if i were to be stopped by cops there i would get a fine and have my euc confiscated. It was never a problem i either outran the police if they started chasing or just went on about my day riding responsibly and slowing down in pedestrian heavy areas, and stuck to the bike lanes as much as possible.

Now i live in another country that has just banned eucs, and the consequences of being stopped by the police here are now the same as in Denmark but whenever i spot police i just start going slow (as i did in Denmark) and have not been chased so far. Just give them a friendly nod as they drop their jaws and all seems fine.
Here there are no bike  lanes so i ride on roads alongside cars for the most part. As long as i stay in the city there are many ways to easily escape them if they get the stupid idea of chasing me and hell even if i were to leave the confines of the city i could easily veer off the road into the forests the surround the roads.

Just don't let them follow you home or stop you and you're golden :ph34r: 

31 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I want to use my wheel as transport. I don't want to hide in the hedges each time I see a police car.

Oh i agree i'd much prefer having a registered vehicle that operates within the law even if i need to attach a license plate and regardless of the joy i get from successfully fleeing the cops while stickin' it to 'em i'd prefer never having to do that but unfortunately i don't live in that world.
I live in a world where anything that deviates from the norm is increasingly criminalized not based on their danger to oneself or others but seemingly out of spite, a world where regardless of how vocal a minority gets they can do nothing to change the status quo which is dictated by the majority which prefers to not only dictate the norms but to enforce them on others, thereby forcefully homogenizing the populous.

And even in the places where EUCs are legal they are forced to operate under absurd limitations in regard to speed limits and where they may operate, rendering their legal status meaningless. So instead of voting, making petitions or seeking out media all of which seem a futile means of changing the law in regards to things the minority wants to change, i simply break the law as my only means of protesting the unbreakable status quo. 

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xiiijojjo said:

....It was never a problem i either outran the police if they started chasing or...

That sounds like a really good story that needs to be told! :)

On 1/26/2021 at 2:53 PM, zege said:

That sounds like a really good story that needs to be told! :)

Spoiler

Not a long story really. I was riding in the inner city of Copenhagen in the bike lane and a cop car started it's sirens and lights right behind me, having ridden in that area for the better part of 3 years at the time i didn't even consider they were after me. I knew it was illegal but hadn't had any run ins with the cops, and had even passed a bunch of them at max speed (50km/h) with no issues but on this particular day a cop car wanted to stop me and i realized it was me they were after as they kept following me with the sirens and lights even as i turned, and it became obvious that i was the target, so i simply jumped the curb from the bike lane onto the sidewalk and started going in the opposite direction at 50 km/h and noticed they did a 180 to follow me, but i just rode down a narrow path which a car couldn't fit into, stopped to see what they'd do, but they just stopped the car in front of the narrow path, so i flipped them off and continued down the path, navigating though paths too narrow for cars for 1 kilometer or so and got back to a road with a bike lane a continued riding undisturbed to my destination. 

I subsequently had another longer chase in Copenhagen another time where i played around with them for a few kilometers going from roads with bike lanes to narrow paths that were visible from the road so they could follow me/plan out which roads i'd emerge onto, but when i realized they were trying to ram me from getting annoying at their inability to make me stop (it is legal for Danish police to ram mopeds, motorcycles or other "open" vehicles if the driver is equipped with a helmet) i tried taking my helmet off to make them stop attempting to ram me, only infuriating them more to the point of aggressively trying to ram me (endangering pedestrians and bikes alike) i put my helmet back on and booked it past the 80% beeps to make it to the nearest narrow path, where they came to a stop and exited the vehicle and ran towards me who was only 10  meters away from them, i flipped them off aggressively while shouting profanities being really worked up from being dangerously close to being rammed at 50 km/h afterwards emoting humping and spanking motions, i spat on the ground as they got uncomfortably close and proceeded to my destination undisturbed.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 3

On 7/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, postbio said:

Dumb on both sides.

I consider this a very gentlemen fight. Driver knows he got his ass kicked, actually choke hole submission that could have killed him, he returned to his car. Wise!!! EUC riders might look like immature kids playing with toys, but we are all actually mature adults re-living a new childhood. Don't mess with us...anyone got the balls to be on a one wheel travelling at 50mph on the road might be a little nutty, off bound...! BTW, EUC rider got gloves and helmet on, what was this driver thinking?!

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 1