Reckless riding is going to get us banned

21 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Nah, I love debating. Look at my history. If I tell you this, which I rarely do say these things, then the particular discussion isn't even worth my time. 

Any experienced rider knows you can carve harder with more control when you first go opposite the direction you intend to go. 

My experience is that most wheels can be turned far enough to drag a footpad, at any speed, in about 1/3 of a second, regardless of weaving or not, but all wheels do require a strong twist to point in the opposite direction. No body motion or swinging of arms is required. Wheels compare very favorably to sportbikes as you can lean them over extremely quickly without losing traction.

My observation is that riders who carve are much better riders than the straight up and down, not because they are better positioning their wheel but rather the act of constantly carving teaches and practices the skill of turning the wheel. You need to practice turning the wheel because unlike a motorcycle where you just have the handlebars, with a wheel there's your whole body that is required.

Just turning the wheel is pretty complex. For example, the wheel slows down and falls behind the rider during the apex of the turn, then speeds up and moves ahead of the rider when finishing the turn. This is due to the circumference of the tire getting smaller on the tire edges.

I personally don't carve since it's just wasted motion but I do make it a point to practice riding (and crashing) as fast as possible on curvy golf paths.

5 hours ago, Tryptych said:

You're extremely arrogant. There is no way to justify the behavior of these videos and your little NYC buddies. Watching you try made my skin crawl.

Which part did you not understand from archieuc's post below?

You NYC boys think you're living in a little bubble and what you do doesn't affect the EUC Community globally?

Not when you're posting this crap all over YouTube! Your videos affect us worldwide! You are representing all of us!

U-Stride's video could easily go viral and/or get on the news, just like the video in archieuc's post. U-Stride has proven himself to be a greedy scumbag for keeping that video up when he knows this could be the outcome.  Everyone who doesn't want a laws like France should unsubscribe from these channels and report these videos (to do a report on Youtube: hit the three dots beside the subscribe button, hit report, choose Harmful Dangerous Acts).

PLEASE READ ARCHIEUC'S POST A FEW TIMES AND BE SMARTER
(at least on YouTube where you represent us ALL)

My statement starts with “I think” and if you feel that any one who’s thinking does not align with yours is “extremely arrogant”, then I am curious as to what your definition for arrogant is?

You responded to none of my or @Marty Backe reasons for why we don’t think these videos will get EUC banned in the US, this is a discussion the last time I checked.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I can confirm @archieuc's post. I live in Belgium and that video even made the news here. Luckily no laws were changed (PEV's are already regulated here and you're not supposed to go faster than 25 km/h).

I think that is where EU is giong in general. In sweden the 'law' is implemented after next summer. So Im gonna take all out of the time I get. Not 'banned' implying way, just FREEDOM ENJOYING way as much I can. Despite the 25 km/h (safe?) hysteria. :)

6 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

I think that is where EU is giong in general. In sweden the 'law' is implemented after next summer. So Im gonna take all out of the time I get. Not 'banned' implying way, just FREEDOM ENJOYING way as much I can. Despite the 25 km/h (safe?) hysteria. :)

So more on this, the theory is that a video showing risky behaviors in the US would effect EU legislation. Do you think this is likely? I imagine that there are a lot of crazy things we American does that the Europeans finds abhorring, but passing laws in reaction to it seems unlikely. Since I am extremely skeptical that the reverse could be true; my impression are that strange European news are more viewed as a curiosity and less as a “things that can happen here”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

So more on this, the theory is that a video showing risky behaviors in the US would effect EU legislation. Do you think this is likely? I imagine that there are a lot of crazy things we American does that the Europeans finds abhorring, but passing laws in reaction to it seems unlikely. Since I am extremely skeptical that the reverse could be true; my impression are that strange European news are more viewed as a curiosity and less as a “things that can happen here”.

Full true. Curiousity will affect minds. As for politicians. EU things aint applying in your environment. Period. Still I like to live there (US) what comes to EUC things. Here (Europe), all the 'new' tech is scarying and abnormal. Politicians always take the easy road. Never want their name on the last line. It is abit annoying to me. I just wish the Swedish way, (whatever that means) go the right way of the EUC way. Not the common particular personal transportation way, but give a bit slack to EUC, as it is a totally different way of movement in the common sense and society. An EUC can go everywhere where you can walk or even crawl. Hard or not. Freedom of movement. Same skill needed as walking!!. Speed?, it does not apply, its up to the rider of EUC. Laws?, that comes into calculation as much as the responsibility of the rider/driver. Same as a bicycle rider anywhere, or a driver of a Koenigsegg (Swedish!, top/best existing super-sports-car on the planet) on the road. Its personal judgement and local rules. An EUC in any environment is a true freedom of movement. I will in future make videos in south Asian countries with real chaos traffic environment, since I have been driving there about 15 years. Any normal sensible common sense aint applying there. NY style.. pls go die there in the a.m if you like. You will. I am surviving in Asia'n traffic. Law's? Its one thing. Following the LOCAL traffic behavior is another thing, that works mostly everywhere. Understanding it is another issue.  Everything is local. Learn it, or suffer. Risky behavior comes of lack of understanding, or ignorance, makes it worse. thats all. My 0.02

21 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Maybe in 30 - 40 - 50 yrs time when we are all old stagers we will be on this forum having upgraded to 4 wheels and discussing the new suspension, battery life, tires etc on our golf carts

Why limit it to 4 wheels? At that time we will have full suspension gyro stabilized 1 wheelers for everything! :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hsiang said:

The only way to stop these behavior is to stop the sales of any EUC capable of speed greater than 31mph, then the ppl whom like speed would move on to something else. But I think that is neither possible nor something we like to see (may be some wouldn't mind).

We don't need to ban the sale of EUC's capable of more than 31mph, we just need to ban the halfwits doing so in public parks and built up areas then posting their stupidity for the world to see.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

That doesn't mean we shouldn't say it. I suspect most riders watch youtube videos of interesting new wheels even if they don't participate here. Shouldn't we try to encourage the producers of these videos to do things that are actually good for our community?

I agree. I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm here after all. But I meet so many EUCers in person and virtually that don't know anything about this Forum. So I don't hold out much hope that what is said on this site has much influence. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nic said:

Any google search for electric unicycles usually contains results from this forum ... probably because EUC is so niche.

A "Google Search" is not any sort of scientific measure (of nicheness). Using any Google product will yield highly targeted results by design as it synthesizes what you "want to see" based on which web browser your using, past searches, your geographical location, your G-mail content, your social media activity (including this forum) and a mix of advertisers' paid content and data tracking activity monitor partners (like your internet provider).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

A "Google Search" is not any sort of scientific measure (of nicheness). Using any Google product will yield highly targeted results by design as it synthesizes what you "want to see" based on which web browser your using, past searches, your geographical location, your G-mail content, your social media activity (including this forum) and a mix of advertisers' paid content and data tracking activity monitor partners (like your internet provider).

I suspect most of us here found this forum using Google. Also, when Google does its page rank then this forum must surely come up a lot when electric unicycles are searched as the search term appears here more often than anywhere else precisely because EUC is niche. I am sure you are correct about exactly how google decides what results to show and so it would make no sense for the results not to include this forum even if it isn't at the top of the results list for the reasons you stated.

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Here in the UK we were (are?) so close to getting legalised (they're green, they don't take up much space on the road and they fit in with our existing transport infrastructure).

Literally 10 minutes ago they just announced that eScooters are becoming legal in the UK if under 15mph.  It sadly only included rental eScooters and certainly doesn't include EUCs but it's a step in the right direction. Riders have to have a driving license but not a helmet (I guess rental makes that difficult). I suspect they didn't include privately owned eScooters as they can be much faster than 15mph. But hey, it's a step in the right direction.

Am I allowed to quote myself?

21 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Literally 10 minutes ago they just announced that eScooters are becoming legal in the UK if under 15mph.  It sadly only included rental eScooters and certainly doesn't include EUCs but it's a step in the right direction. Riders have to have a driving license but not a helmet (I guess rental makes that difficult). I suspect they didn't include privately owned eScooters as they can be much faster than 15mph. But hey, it's a step in the right direction.

Am I allowed to quote myself?

Its just a 'trial' so they can decide whether to make e-scooters legal. After the trial (12 months) they will reach some kind of decision on PEVs and required legislation.

Rental e-scooters to be made legal on roads in Great Britain from Saturday

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, davinche said:

Where did he say he was condoning the behavior? Just because he thinks it's unlikely that laws around EUCs will be passed in the US doesn't mean he condones the behavior. Hsiang did say he told people to not post the highway video - they did it anyways.

:smartass::popcorn:

Edited by Nic