Reckless riding is going to get us banned

2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

We don't need to ban the sale of EUC's capable of more than 31mph, we just need to ban the halfwits doing so in public parks and built up areas then posting their stupidity for the world to see.

While I agree with the sentiment (hence the like)... it is an unrealistic ideal because stupid people are going to exist regardless of EUCs. And stupid people will continue to do stupid things and post them on YouTube. So given that stupid people content will continue to exist, if I was a smart law maker, I would need to take that into consideration. So as a person who understands that there will always be some amount of stupidity in the world, I would not base legislation around videos I would consider a rounding error.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davinche said:

So as a person who understands that there will always be some amount of stupidity in the world, I would not base legislation around videos I would consider a rounding error.

How about basing legislation around public opinion?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, davinche said:

Where did he say he was condoning the behavior? Just because he thinks it's unlikely that laws around EUCs will be passed in the US doesn't mean he condones the behavior. Hsiang did say he told people to not post the highway video - they did it anyways.

The thing is, if you're out to look for trouble you will find it. And if the media in the EU is looking at obscure EUC videos to base their legislation around... that is a bigger problem. You can find arguments against anything if you look hard enough.

To your point about searching about EUCs on YouTube - maybe we're lucky that most of the top results are @Marty Backe range tests/reviews.

I think it's unfair on Hsiang to repeat my points all over again. I suggest you just go back and look at my posts and indeed almost every other post on this thread. That you guys can't see anything wrong with the behaviour shown in the videos is just beyond me. You seem to place a higher value on your own personal entertainment than the pedestrians and children around you. Your only defence is that your friends all ride the same way when in NY.

I'm certainly not looking for trouble. This is simply moral outrage.

I suspect you get Marty's video's before other videos simply because you both live in the same area.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hsiang said:

I am curious as to what your definition for arrogant is?

1. Anyone that thinks posting reckless EUC videos on YouTube doesn't affect the entire global EUC community.

2. Anyone that thinks they are immune to faceplants and rides a prototype wheel in traffic on YouTube while only wearing a half helmet and no wrist guards.

3. Anyone that thinks that what happened in France can't happen to their country/state/city.

You're not worth talking to - you will always put NYC and your channel ahead of the EUC community, just like U-Stride is doing. I can predict your next reply - don't bother. Just read archieuc's quote again, I made it bigger and blue for those of you having trouble swallowing the bitter pill that is reality:

On 6/26/2020 at 2:16 PM, archieuc said:

In France this video was enough to change everything for the PEVs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfiAOxbYHc

It made a lot of noise in the media and drew the attention of the authorities to the PEVs. Later, a fatal accident on the motorway led to the introduction of a new and very strict regulation for electric scooters and EUCs.
- 25km/h max (15mph)
- insurance is mandatory (one for each wheel) but impossible to obtain for all wheels that can exceed this speed. In case of a police check, we risk €1500 and confiscation of the wheel
- out-of-town driving ban
Many neighbouring countries have simply banned PEVs. We've been lucky so far.

Don't risk a ban in the U.S. !

PLEASE BE SMARTER
(at least on YouTube where you represent us ALL)

Edited by Tryptych
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think it's unfair on Hsiang to repeat my points all over again. I suggest you just go back and look at my posts and indeed almost every other post on this thread. That you guys can't see anything wrong with the behaviour shown in the videos is just beyond me. You seem to place a higher value on your own personal entertainment than the pedestrians and children around you. Your only defence is that your friends all ride the same way when in NY.

I'm certainly not looking for trouble. This is simply moral outrage.

I suspect you get Marty's video's before other videos simply because you both live in the same area.

Why are you grouping me with the NYC folks? I don't even live in NYC. If you look at my posts, I specifically pointed out the bad behaviors demonstrated in the videos and the disappointment I felt. I also said I unsubscribed from UStride's channel because of it. I don't think anyone condones the behavior shown in the specific videos in this thread. There is however a mixture of generalized animosity towards NYC riders in this thread -  which I think is uncalled for.

8 hours ago, Hsiang said:

So more on this, the theory is that a video showing risky behaviors in the US would effect EU legislation. Do you think this is likely?

I mean really? With your logic thinking then I guess that George floyd and the BLM protest didn't affect anyone outside of America as IT DIDNT HAPPEN IN EUROPE!!!

and yet we are getting good coverage in UK but it's idiots like you with your pathetic YouTube posts about stupid things like these. And let's not forget about that guy who was doing a rap video in New York didn't wear a helmet and what happened? Smashed he's face in and now has the nerve to ask for a "go fund me" loooool I don't think so. Shouldn't be a cocky rider. I broke my hip, I broke my leg, I broke my shoulder...all in the past.. I didn't ask one person to go fund me. But then why would I? It's my problem. Seems like riders like you try and act all "cool" but make yourself out like idiots that you are for pathetic YouTube likes. Then cry when things go wrong. Leave up to the big boys like us who rides sensible and try to get it lawfully imposed that we can ride these legally

FB_IMG_1593553870491.jpg

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Again, please keep the discussion civil:)

My bad. I apologise for any offence caused. But GRRRR..... does my nut in when a hell of a lot of us around the world... esp London riders are actually in talks woth parliament about making these legal and since Boris Johnson is an eco bike enthusiast we are so close... in fact so close that one of our London riders was actually talking to him recently about it in person. And yet here we are with them dumb NYC riders thinking they are all big and mighty ruining it for the rest of us by being selfish doing (let's face it) embarrassing YouTube vids of dangerous riding

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

1. Anyone that thinks posting reckless EUC videos on YouTube doesn't affect the entire global EUC community.

2. Anyone that thinks they are immune to faceplants and rides a prototype wheel in traffic on YouTube while only wearing a half helmet and no wrist guards.

3. Anyone that thinks that what happened in France can't happen to their country/state/city.

You're not worth talking to - you will always put NYC and your channel ahead of the EUC community, just like U-Stride is doing. I can predict your next reply - don't bother. Just read archieuc's quote again, I made it bigger and blue for those of you having trouble swallowing the bitter pill that is reality:

PLEASE BE SMARTER
(at least on YouTube where you represent us ALL)

lmao, i don't understand pre-discounting him, you don't agree with him, but that doesn't make the things he's saying wrong. If you're really worried about legislation, sit down first, then check out the dualtron nyc videos. They aren't in the EUC riding group obviously, but we do overlap from time to time.  

as others have said, bicyclists travel down shared paths at 30+ consistently (i live within spitting distance of the williamsburg br, this happens daily, this is happening now) 

here again we see Central park riding, where higher speed bikes and people like them are supposed to go etc, and yes, there are people walking next to it, that's kinda how it has to be in larger cities unless we ban everything all together. 

So while you're at it, protest the atv guys, the dirt bike guys, the ebike guys, stupid shit happens here. there's also 0 chance anyone here has more riding experience than the NYC guys, unless you too use your uni for your work all day, as half those guys are delivery guys on unis. No one in the NYC group thinks they are immune to anything. 

to let you know, i do agree that the highway clip should not have been put on youtube. But good luck telling a city of 8 million how to operate, cause that's what you're doing. 

But yeah, this outrage is a bit too far, me thinks it's about way more than just a couple videos. could this be ability envy? probably. 

4 minutes ago, Jessedegenerate said:

But yeah, this outrage is a bit too far, me thinks it's about way more than just a couple videos. could this be ability envy? probably. 

Def not envy as we all have the ability and chance to ride like that and choose not to.

And if you think the outrage is a bit to far... then how do you think non EUC riders are going to feel ?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Neon EUC said:

Def not envy as we all have the ability and chance to ride like that and choose not to.

And if you think the outrage is a bit to far... then how do you think non EUC riders are going to feel ?

Non EUC riders will probably feel the same about them that they do bicycles, ebikes, scooters, eboards, and all the other weird stuff people ride in the city. To live in a city with 8 million other people, you tend to have to be more understanding about your lack of personal space and that what other people do probably isn't your cup of tea, i would have thought you in london would have known that. 

And bud, i've lived in london, my sister still lives in london (i have citizenship there too) it's not all that different. 

and nah, i think envy has something to do with it. tho protest to much!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jessedegenerate said:

Non EUC riders will probably feel the same about them that they do bicycles, ebikes, scooters, eboards, and all the other weird stuff people ride in the city. To live in a city with 8 million other people, you tend to have to be more understanding about your lack of personal space and that what other people do probably isn't your cup of tea, i would have thought you in london would have known that. 

And bud, i've lived in london, my sister still lives in london (i have citizenship there too) it's not all that different. 

and nah, i think envy has something to do with it. tho protest to much!

Erm... I live in central London so can't see how I have any kind of envy, esp whwn i own 12 Euc's right now. I just choose not to ride like a cock

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jessedegenerate said:

In London if someone rode an EUC at the speed that some of the halfwits in NewYork do when showing off for their youtube fans they'd get reported by members of the public.

The simple fact is the police would arrest someone riding an EUC at high speed in the city. That would effectively kill any chance we have of pushing our case for legalisation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neon EUC said:

My bad. I apologise for any offence caused. But GRRRR..... does my nut in when a hell of a lot of us around the world... esp London riders are actually in talks woth parliament about making these legal and since Boris Johnson is an eco bike enthusiast we are so close... in fact so close that one of our London riders was actually talking to him recently about it in person. And yet here we are with them dumb NYC riders thinking they are all big and mighty ruining it for the rest of us by being selfish doing (let's face it) embarrassing YouTube vids of dangerous riding

Dumb people are going to do dumb things regardless of EUC. If Boris Johnson decides to rollback the decision to make it legal based on an obscure EUC video on YouTube performed by people who are not even part of his country... who's the dummy?

11 minutes ago, davinche said:

Dumb people are going to do dumb things regardless of EUC. If Boris Johnson decides to rollback the decision to make it legal based on an obscure EUC video on YouTube performed by people who are not even part of his country... who's the dummy?

Well it certainly wouldn't be Boris Johnson as he would see the NYC riders and think " No way would I want that to happen in our country" so will ban it...

And it would be the idiotic NYC YouTube riders to blame... so.. erm... Want to ask again who the dummy would be ?

17 minutes ago, Neon EUC said:

Well it certainly wouldn't be Boris Johnson as he would see the NYC riders and think " No way would I want that to happen in our country" so will ban it...

And it would be the idiotic NYC YouTube riders to blame... so.. erm... Want to ask again who the dummy would be ?

Uhhh.. Okay let me make it more clear than. Let's say hypothetically the NYC riders represents the worst of us EUC riders. The question then is, should we pass legislation to cater to the worse people? Or should we pass legislation that caters to most people?

We can flip it around and think again: Let's say NYC riders represents the mass majority of riders. Does this make banning electric rideables more acceptable if the mass majority rides like NYC riders?

TLDR; Boris Johnson is a dummy if he is going to make a sweeping decision that affects ALL people in his country based on a small subset within a subset of people that is not even from his country.

Dumb people can abuse anything: Cars, motorcycles, firearms, chainsaws, Tide Pods. You name it, dumb people can abuse it. Should we ban Tide pods because some people decided it would be a good idea to consume it? Videos of the "Tide Pod Challenge" used to plague YouTube. You can't even consider some of the EUC videos as a plague.

Edited by davinche
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, davinche said:

Uhhh.. Okay let me make it more clear than. Let's say hypothetically the NYC riders represents the worst of us EUC riders. The question then is, should we pass legislation to cater to the worse people? Or should we pass legislation that caters to most people?

We can flip it around and think again: Let's say NYC riders represents the mass majority of riders. Does this make banning electric rideables more acceptable if the mass majority rides like NYC riders?

TLDR; Boris Johnson is a dummy if he is going to make a sweeping decision that affects ALL people in his country based on a small subset within a subset of people that is not even from his country.

Dumb people can abuse anything: Cars, motorcycles, firearms, chainsaws, Tide Pods. You name it, dumb people can abuse it. Should we ban Tide pods because some people decided it would be a good idea to consume it? Videos of the "Tide Pod Challenge" used to plague YouTube. You can't even consider some of the EUC videos as a plague.

Why do you think gun ownership is illegal in UK? Because of all the crime that happens in America with guns

Why do you think not wearing a motor bike helmet on a motor bike is illegal over here but not in India?

Because England research, learns and listens to the pros and cons of what happens to anything that will be an outcome for law.

Which is why looking at NYC riders can swing it. Let's be honest... your argument is flawed no matter how hard you try to defend the NYC riders

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neon EUC said:

Why do you think gun ownership is illegal in UK? Because of all the crime that happens in America with guns

Why do you think not wearing a motor bike helmet on a motor bike is illegal over here but not in India?

Because England research, learns and listens to the pros and cons of what happens to anything that will be an outcome for law.

Which is why looking at NYC riders can swing it. Let's be honest... your argument is flawed no matter how hard you try to defend the NYC riders

Man.. First of all, I am not condoning or defending what most of us on this thread have already identified as bad decisions/behavior in the videos.

Second. If you want to convince me that your government makes decisions based on small subset of individuals from other countries, then show me the proof and I'll concede.

Lastly, as ridiculous as my Tide Pods example is, why didn't your government ban them? Or did they? I have no idea. But since you're the one that is claiming that YouTube holds the power of dictating legislation, and you're also the one claiming that your government will determine said legislation by watching YouTube videos of people from other countries, then you should also be the one to educate me as to why or why aren't they banned in your country.

32 minutes ago, davinche said:

To be fair I don't think it is unreasonable for any politician to look at how other governments tackle a particular issue and look at other countries statistics etc. Looking at what happens elsewhere is part of a responsible attitude in looking at the evidence and reaching a sensible decision. In looking at evidence (particularly one that maybe unknown territory, like EUC's) I'd say it is very likely a politician would want to see what EUC's are capable of and how they fit in with the present traffic regime.

Let's be fair here, I know a lot of politicians aren't known for applying common sense but if the get they impression EUC's are high speed machines predominately used by adrenalin junkies then they are going to be cautious and vote against legalisation. 

All that some people are saying here is a considerable number of youtube videos are now showing high speed riding often in the vicinity of children or dense urban traffic and that is painting a bad picture just when we are trying to get governments to see EUC's as sensible urban transport.

No-one here wants to see EUC's banned but I honestly think that's the way we are heading if people insist on riding like maniacs in public'

The conversation here has moved it's emphasis on to legalisation etc and I guess we are all a little bit guilty of putting our own interests first but we also need to remember it is also one of public safety. No matter how well a person can control their wheel accidents do happen and higher speeds increase the likelihood of injury (or death), it stands to reason a very serious incident will happen to an innocent member of the public before long if people insist on riding at 35+ mph in busy traffic or near pedestrians.

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 3