Reckless riding is going to get us banned

Proposal includes giving horses way of right by dismounting the vehicle within 50 feet, what a time to be a horse! Hopefully there is a more clear definition what reckless riding entails.

19 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Proposal includes giving horses way of right by dismounting the vehicle within 50 feet, what a time to be a horse!

Walking the device in narrow path also would take more space :whistling:Away from use, but O-K. Just wondering, did these people see how this works in practice?
Instead: Slowing to walking pace (in encounter) could make way more sense, to replace the dismounting.

Edited by Tasku

24 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Police are simply going to stop those that are obviously speeding or riding recklessly. It doesn't have to influence the ones riding respectfully.

That's the thing though "obviously riding recklessly" will be subjective to the officer in question if there's no clear definition what it really means, if it means traffic rules they already have the tools to stop people braking traffic rules.

15 minutes ago, Tasku said:

Walking the device in narrow path also would take more space :whistling:Away from use, but O-K. Just wondering, did these people see how this works in practice?
Instead: Slowing to walking pace (in encounter) could make way more sense, to replace the dismounting.

laws are always created to control the stupid minority who can not figure out how to behave properly out of their own free will,
and then all the others who behave properly and with consideration for other people must be burdened by these (stupid) rules.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

That's the thing though "obviously riding recklessly" will be subjective to the officer in question if there's no clear definition what it really means, if it means traffic rules they already have the tools to stop people braking traffic rules.

Isn't it their way or the highway anyway? 

Even if they don't charge you they can give you a warning maybe. Being stopped alone is an inconvenience most probably would want to avoid.

I'm just brainstorming here. I've got nothing concrete but I gravitate towards treating riders like motorcycle riders essentially.

11 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Isn't it their way or the highway anyway? 

Even if they don't charge you they can give you a warning maybe. Being stopped alone is an inconvenience most probably would want to avoid.

I'm just brainstorming here. I've got nothing concrete but I gravitate towards treating riders like motorcycle riders essentially.

Initially yes, unless you decide to go to court and fight it, but I would imagine most police officers would also avoid making a big fuzz if it's something minor and you are polite, more paperwork for them. 😁

• Like 1

Chooch Tech is going to court over a fine.

A jury trial for a $200 fine...

AKedOLS3QGT-7I9bXOfyYy-4eZjqTqdNnMUmMZGC
chooch tech4 days ago

I have court in a week but I mess with the system here and I’m the guy that took $200 bike ticket to trial. Yes that’s right. A jury trial for a bike ticket, self representing just to play my part. If everyone did what I’m doing they would quit screwing with people

Edited by Paul A

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

chooch tech4 days ago

I have court in a week but I mess with the system here and I’m the guy that took $200 bike ticket to trial. Yes that’s right. A jury trial for a bike ticket, self representing just to play my part. If everyone did what I’m doing they would quit screwing with people

It's his legal right, I'd fight it if I got one. Depending on what the issue was they need to prove that what he did was illegal, not the other way around. So if the prosecutor doesn't even know what an electric unicycle is (assuming that's what he was on when he got the ticket) he could win it. I'm not a fan of Chooch but I'm not gonna say anything about him following his legal rights

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

chooch tech4 days ago

While I personally wouldn't go to court over a moderate fine like that, I would hope many or most people would do so without being punished. In the US, if you do go to court, then being found guilty is dangerous as the fee/fine/imprisonment term is about three times greater than if person who pleads guilty.

Basically, two people found guilty of the same crime have grossly different outcomes. That shouldn't be the case in a fair and equitable justice system. Something like 90% of crimes in the US end in plea bargains, and your ability to plea bargain is directly proportional to how much justice you can afford. I would hope everyone gets a trial jury, instead, and people are all given carefully considerate punishments.

Still, $200...would you go to court for that? Jeez...

• Upvote 1

If I were riding recklessly and got a fine for it, I wouldn't go to court. If it's just some nanny police, just out of the academy, with ambition of following the book word for word, without questioning the motive behind it and without respect for other people's quality of life, then I'd also want to make a point.

Edited by alcatraz

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Prosecutor could easily gather evidence from Chooch's YouTube channel.

At least he is often wearing suit and tie - so only thing missing for the court is a wig :yawn:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

My experience with his channel is that you will find a rider who spends most of his time in the woods trying to be where there are as few people as possible and being careful to remain positive and nonconfrontational. 

Maybe it hasn't always worked out that way, but that's what I see from him and his channel. 

A rider who prefers the wilderness and a "live and let live" vibe is not on my short list for "enemy of the sport" as you seem to like to portray him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

Was in reply to:

16 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

Depending on what the issue was they need to prove that what he did was illegal, not the other way around.

Riding at high speed on the sidewalk.

High speed around a blind spot, nearly hits a homeless person, blames the homeless person.

Chooch:

"This right here guys, is a prime example of, the type of people that are in the world now. 

Someone with that little common sense. 

Whether he'd be on drugs, or just be that stupid......has chosen to sit in a blind spot, with his entire body in the middle of the bike lane.

And I'm telling you guys, this is why it's really important to wear your gear.

Because in a situation like that, that's not a car, that's not you making a mistake, that is simply an environmental factor that you cannot control.

That is something that can happen to anyone, at any time, riding completely responsible.

And that is why I'm telling you, you gotta wear gear guys, because as long as I've been riding, in situations like that, you don't want to hit the guy, you don't want to hurt him, so you'll bail.

You'll take your two thousand dollar unicycle, three thousand, four thousand dollar now, is what they are getting to now, and you will literally completely destroy it, hurt yourself, because society in the United States presents itself to have people with mental health problems, and on every drug under the entire sun, just out in public, and just out around you, while you have to operate vehicles, you have to get to work, and you have to go make the money to support these people. 

And then, while you're going to do that, you also, have to avoid them, and that's just the way it is."

“Bike lane” I don’t know about laws in Colorado, locally It is illegal to discriminate against an EUC in anyway that you would not also discriminate against a bicycle. It is a bike lane. The speed limit in the bike lane is 25MPH. No walking, sleeping or doing drugs in the bike lane. What law did Chooch violate? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

“Bike lane” I don’t know about laws in Colorado, locally It is illegal to discriminate against an EUC in anyway that you would not also discriminate against a bicycle. It is a bike lane. The speed limit in the bike lane is 25MPH. No walking, sleeping or doing drugs in the bike lane. What law did Chooch violate? 

He's guilty of wrong think. /s 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

What law did Chooch violate? 

The speed looks faster than 25mph.

I would never ride fast enough in any situation not to be able to avoid a large stationary element. Expecting for the road to always be clear is naive in my books.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The speed looks faster than 25mph.

I would never ride fast enough in any situation not to be able to avoid a large stationary element. Expecting for the road to always be clear is naive in my books.

Might be over 25mph. And I agree… however 

I just think we should hold bicycles and cars to the same standard then. If you are driving a car 5 mph over the speed limit  ( 10 mph is the norm in the US before you get a ticket) turn a corner and there is a drunk man lying partly hidden in the road are going to blame the car? 

• Like 2