"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The more interesting thing is that ecodrift alludes to the fact that this might be the standard 14" rim we find on all 18" EUC's I believe, but the sidewall has been increased to bring the overall outer diameter to 20", which means the sidewall height will be taller than most EUC tires we've seen at ~3" or more, which is great for more cushion on impact (read: rim dentage), and gives one more tire model swap/mod options, what with the shell clearance.

Maybe it's just the spotty translation, but sounds like the tire might be wider than 3'' (3.5?).

If the MSX is over 19'' real diameter, a wider tire would make this a real 20 incher. As opposed to "20 inches" that end up being 22 in actuality. They might merely not bullshit about the diameter unlike everyone else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

I was really hoping for an entire shell and cover that was metal in order to eliminate all the stress cracks around the pedal hangers. 

If people are cracking the bolt holes around the hanger areas on their MSX (I'm not btw) I would have thought a 4 or 5mm steel rectangle plate covering the area would do wonders. All edges and corners would ideally need to be rounded to avoid localised stress points and maybe longer hanger bolts to suit but it would massively reinforce the bolt hole areas.

If the MSX is over 19'' real diameter, a wider tire would make this a real 20 incher.

The MSX original H-5102 measures about 2.75” in with, but it is called a 3” tire because that’s what it says on the tire. We don’t call the MSX a 19.5” x 2.75” wheel (and my MSX a 19.8” x 2.9” wheel, or 20.3” x 3.15” in the winter) for a few reasons. Using standard size classifications “I need a new 20” tire” can be responded with actual tires that fit, instead of first trying to find out what size tires one actually needs.

A taller car tire doesn’t get added to the size classification either. Granted, the car tire diameter is purely the rim diameter. But we live in the world of bicycle standards where the size classification doesn’t represent the actual inner nor the outer diameter of the tire. Calling the MSX a 19” wheel was a uneducated low punch from GW marketing, which messed up the naming conventions for the future EUC generations to come.

Disclaimer: I only remember a few of these measures precisely, most of them can be off by up to an inch. The precise numbers are however irrelevant to my point.

C-186 is a tall tire, mostly due to the knobs. It still does not change the EUC sizing conventions. An EUC with a 14” rim fits 18” e-bike/bicycle tires, and is called an 18” wheel.

As opposed to "20 inches" that end up being 22 in actuality.

“In actuality” as in outer diameter, or what it says on the tire? They always have and always will be a different measure.

They might merely not bullshit about the diameter unlike everyone else.

A 19” wheel that says 18” on the tire itself is not bullshitting? To me it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It's cause they're borrowed front scooter tires, not a big market.

Proper size markings would really read XX/YY-ZZ where XX is tire width (mm), YY is tire sidewall ratio (%) v width, and ZZ is rim diameter (in), since overall tire diameter varies by payload v tire PSI.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The manufacturers can't control what it says on the generic tires they buy, but as what they sell the wheel.

So I think this is an "18 inch" wheel just like the MSX, MSP, 18XL, etc. - aka the same rim size. Veteran just seems to be closer to ground truth giving the outer diameter. That's what I meant.

so it IS an 18" tire, not a 20" tire? I'm not talking about what they say it is, according to their own rules. Tire size has always been referring to the RIM size that it mounts to. Obviously if you are quoting the outer tire diameter, you are NOT talking about 'tire size' as its known in the industry. Outer dimensions of tires change over time due to psi and tread wear.  Damn, why do things that have already been widely established, get f**ked up so often? Its not being clever by changing accepted practices of measurement, its being stupid, or misleading, or uninformed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

so it IS an 18" tire, not a 20" tire?

I suspect (not know!) it is an "18 inch tire" which means it is a tire that fits the rim that "18 inch" wheels (18XL MSX etc.) have (14 inches?).

I think it is reasonable for manufacturers to give the outer diameter, because that's what counts for how the wheel behaves and what people can expect in nimbleness, torque, comfort and so on. They should just be truthful about it (aka the 16X is not a "16 inch" wheel, it's nearly 18 inches) and it looks like Veteran is (more) truthful about their 20 inch outer real world diameter.

Or not and it's some other tire, I don't know.

Stating outer diameter is fine. What REALLY matters is rim size, if you're trying to make a tire even mountable. Changing how dimensions are presented only aids in confusing people. Just as we dont even know for sure what size of tire this one is.  Its widely known that a stated tire size is typically the rim size. Yes, outer diameter matters and they should state that too(typically its just the profile, which is a percentage of the rim diameter, as it relates to overall tire diameter). The KS16x IS a 16" tire. the KS18 is an 18" tire, the mten is a....10" tire, regardless of if its flat or largely inflated.. SIdewall profile is also a standard of measurement. Maybe none of this really matters to most, but to those of us that have dealt with tires for decades, its just ridiculous.  So, does a tire's stated size change when it's flat? What about it's stated size when its overinflated? So a fat guy on the same machine as a skinny guy, at same pressures, has a smaller tire? The rim does NOT change size due to weight factors, so thats why its the spec we use. Why does something so simple as size of a tire, have to become so complex all a sudden? This kind of thing has ALREADY been figured out and a standard has been created, JUST to prevent this kind of confusion. A nearly flat 16" tire will be far less nimble than an overinflated 20" tire. Assuming we can deduce the handling characteristic by merely knowing sidewall profile is a stretch at the least. Size of rim equates to rotating mass. I would suspect that RIM size is just as much or more a 'static' factor in behavior, than an ever changing profile. Tires have been a ROUND (hehe) for billions of dollars in the industry. Me, ive not been around long, but the accepted measuring was established LONG before my dad dropped his pants. Why can't I get the simple answer of what size the damn thing is? I thought it was a 20" tire like the monster, and it led me to assume it would roll as such. Since the rim is so much more mass than the tire, the 2" difference in the rim is WAY more affecting than the ever changing sidewall dimensions.  At least in the underpowered world of the euc, I'll focus on the rim size to help aid me in assumption of handling characteristics. I can change tires to have different sidewall profiles and pressures, a rim... not so much.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Nice chunky beast, only the back light seem out of place but it is connected to the body with a plug so it should be possible to replace.

IMG-20200608-WA0015.jpg.3620096c8285222c12d4e6692a8fa8da.jpg

Edited by null
  • Like 3

Looking nice! The flat black plastic could need a nice rubberized texture or something, though.

I see a certain Gotway-ness in the design (in a good way). Everything's very simple and basic, but that doesn't mean bad (and it's moddable). Those plain standard plugs for the lights are as cheap and lazy as they are smart and cool!

I wonder where and how big the board is. I thought it was on top, but space looks a little tight there. Can't wait to see some board pics (also to see how much they copied directly from Gotway:D).

1 hour ago, Phong Vu said:

I can see that the only way to bring this upstairs is to walk it...
And put it in the trunk gonna be a challenge every time :D 

It is heavy but you have a better grip with the two handles.

Edited by null

Random thoughts:

• Totally agree about that brake light - it doesn't suit the wheel at all.
  • The trolley handle looks pretty good.
  • I think they should change the tyre to something more suitable for the road. I can't picture anyone taking a wheel like this on a gnarly, muddy trail unless they really want to break a leg. The wheel has a huge range so the tyre should be aimed at touring or at least mixed use. 
  • I think they should lose the display and just rely on an app.
  • The metal cage makes it look very rugged but it looks like it will be the plastic that hits the road first.
  • Not sure about comfort - it looks like it needs padding or a smoother flow.
  • Is there a seat option (attached to the metal cage if possible)?
  • Are there and prices and weights for the other battery options?
  • When's Kuji going to get to test it?
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, null said:

It is heavy but you have a better grip with the two handles.

yeah, it's nice to pick it up and put it down, but that's not a very good position to bring it up a flight of stairs.
Lift it up above the waist level (to put it in the trunk) with those handle are challenging.
(for the current wheels, we usually hold a handle with one hand, and hold under the pedal/by the axle with another hand, it's dirty, but weight distribution is better I think :) )

That taillight reminds me of 'Superman'. I like the integrated data screen, tho I wonder how it fares in sunlight while riding? I dont know jack about this stuff, but i KNow theres a few types of screen and SOME fare better than others. If replacement screen cost less than $100 and are plug/play, I'd be much less worried. It aint like one couldnt put a raised edge around it to keep it a little lower in the event of a rollover.

7 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

I love the happy alien smiley face on this thing!!!

To me the rear light looks like a (ringing) telephone icon. At first glance I thought it was the Superman logo. Either way, out of place.

Am I the only person in the world who doesn’t take a 35kg (or anything above 5kg) thing out of a box by lifting it? Open the flaps, roll the box upside down, and lift the 0.5kg cardboard box instead.

Or at least turn the box on its side and drag the thing out.

• Like 2