Jan 2020 best Kingsong commuter. 16X or 18XL?

Mortal Coil

5 hours ago, null said:

I only did a bit of distance on the 16X but found it very comfortable and reactive. The 18XL is more stable for long distance though but as a urban commuter the 16X is probably superior. Or the 16S if you need to carry it. /2c

I fully agree that at 30-35kmh the KS16X feels safer as in it brakes hard in case off an emergency. On the other hand you are riding more in terms of mc lean style which makes me riding at less speed as to Mr it feels more on the edge of "control" yet stable. I can't explain much better than this. But it is the thrill of sensing force in turning and acceleration and braking. 

If it is actually safer, I can't say but it makes me less likely to "speeding". So my personal opinion it is the thrills that give the fun factor. In an emergency who knows what happens. But I ride more consciously to avoid put myself in a bad possion or situation. It took me about 300km to adapt and getting used to the sensation. But I love the sensation. And my smile on my face is ever present. It takes away the need for speed for me totally. 

Now some will find this not to their liking. That is why I agree with @Mike Sacristan the KS16X is not a wheel for all. In that respect the KS18L/XL is a safer purchase. Will it bring same joy... Depends. The KS18L/XL is a faster choice by design in terms of riding top speed limit safe, from faceplant. 

• Like 3

How's the weather proofing of the 18xl? I'm looking for a faster wheel than the v5f for next spring, but the 16x is currently off the table due to the poor sealing. I can't have a wheel that kills itself in rain.

Yeah, so im very very curious about the speed throttling. Especially since, I personally (being on the heavier side) have never had any problems with overpowering the wheel at lower battery percentages even riding pretty fast. It seemed to work quite well, kicking in under 25% and i always felt safe. But 50% would be kinda jarring. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Perhaps you should carry one of your 3" wheels up a couple of flights of stairs, then walk it through a shopping mall and finally finish with a nice coffee at the back of a crowded coffee house. Those sub 3" wheels might start to appeal again ;)

Oh I get it. If you need that kind of wheel then buy one with a puny tire. But I'm talking about performance wheels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seage said:

Yeah, so im very very curious about the speed throttling. Especially since, I personally (being on the heavier side) have never had any problems with overpowering the wheel at lower battery percentages even riding pretty fast. It seemed to work quite well, kicking in under 25% and i always felt safe. But 50% would be kinda jarring. 

I put this very simple to you. Do not buy a KS period. 

Just buy as GW. KS isn't build for running at top speed all the time. Even KS people have said so, if your focus is speed, do not buy their wheels. 

Speed throttling, like it or not it there to maintain some level of safety. 

People that choose a KS wheel, need to accept that this KS priority, end of story. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:
8 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Perhaps you should carry one of your 3" wheels up a couple of flights of stairs, then walk it through a shopping mall and finally finish with a nice coffee at the back of a crowded coffee house. Those sub 3" wheels might start to appeal again ;)

Oh I get it. If you need that kind of wheel then buy one with a puny tire. But I'm talking about performance wheels.

It's worth remembering that this tire width conversation is somewhat fixed on current wheels with 3" tires, which happen to be performance wheels. In the future we could very well see 16" (or even 14"), non performance wheels with 3" tires and less than 1,000Wh batteries, who knows...If they're more stable, easier and more fun to ride...why not?

P.S. @Mortal Coil welcome to electricunicycle.org's infinite supply of off-topic tangents... :whistling:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, travsformation said:

P.S. @Mortal Coil welcome to electricunicycle.org's infinite supply of off-topic tangents... :whistling:

Yes, the thread has taken a tangent.

It is still orbiting the nub of my original question, however, which is: Is the 16X with its wider tyre but raft of potential issues preferable to the 18XL with its narrower tyre but proven reliability?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mortal Coil said:

Yes, the thread has taken a tangent.

They all do. I've yet to see the exception... :efee612b4b:

10 hours ago, Mortal Coil said:

It is still orbiting the nub of my original question, however, which is: Is the 16X with its wider tyre but raft of potential issues preferable to the 18XL with its narrower tyre but proven reliability?

Yeah, it actually is, which is surprising. It could have very well turned into a 12-page rabbit-hole on motor control signal frequency, DIY rain covers or even Batmobiles... :efee612b4b:

BTW, you've really done your homework!

I personally enjoy the 18XL enormously. It has never failed me, never cutout, has tackled everything I've thrown at it, taken a fair share of abuse and runs as smoothly as day 1. And just as importantly, it's been a daily mode of transportation that has completely changed the way I commute and run errands (making it fun!), and has yielded all kinds of new & fun exploration opportunities (believe me, you'll be glad to have the extra range)

I ordered the 16X being just as aware of its potential shortcomings ans risks as you are now, and if I do encounter any issues, I'll just have to adapt to the wheel's limitations. There's always a trade-off somewhere: the 18XL has a better reliability, fail-safe track record, but the 16X would appear to be the more versatile option that most riders favour. But as a new rider, I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

My suggestion: instead of selling the SUV and buying a smaller, cheaper car + 1 wheel, sell it and buy both wheels! ;)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

I am so torn regarding tire width. The extra cushion of the 3" tires is nice, but it can't be overstated how much nimbleness you lose in turning which has never been satisfactorily addressed/resolved. (The somewhat-misnamed "gyroscopic effect" is very real and I agree with those who think it sucks/can hinder riding enjoyment.) If you just want to ride as a means of transportation the extra shock absorption may be worth it, but if you love carving man do the thinner tires/thinner overall-wheels feel so much nicer to carve and turn. Ultimately I agree with those voting for the 18XL (assuming we're only talking about 84v options).

Anyone arguing in favor of only 3"-wide tires sound like someone arguing that all cars should be SUVs. Of course an SUV has its advantages in floatiness, but there are reasons some people still prefer the agility/handling of sports cars.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I am so torn regarding tire width. The extra cushion of the 3" tires is nice, but it can't be overstated how much nimbleness you lose in turning which has never been resolved. (The somewhat-misnamed "gyroscopic effect" is very real and I agree with those who think it really sucks/hinders riding enjoyment.)

When I converted my 16S to a 2.5” tire back in the day, I do remember being slightly disappointed in that it didn’t carve quite as nice. Took a while, but when I eventually got to try a stock 16S... Man it felt like a toy, carving included! I guess I had learned a technique to carve on the 2.5”.

Anyway, the most spectacular feaure of the 18x3.0 CYT H-666 on the MSX was how it carved and turned. I could take turns with an extraordinary speed! It might not be exactly the same as ”carving”, but it so far it was easiest the most fun riding tire-wheel combination I’ve tried.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

Since @Rehab1 didn't answer the calling, I had no choice but to do it myself.... :efee612b4b:

Backeman-youre-dead-to-me3.png

You should have taken one of his Z10 photos 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Nah, he’ll just take the Mten!

I did actually think about that and that's why I included the bit about walking it through a shopping mall. I know 10Kg is light for an EUC but without a handle it's still 10Kg. Then again you guys are probably allowed to ride through these places.