Jan 2020 best Kingsong commuter. 16X or 18XL?

Mortal Coil

Hi all,

I’m new to EUCs. I currently have an ancient Gotway MCM2 that I’ve been learning to ride on. I bought it cheap from a Singaporean student who’s returning home and won’t be able to use it because of the new Anti-PEV laws there. Anyway, If I can prove to my wife that this is not just a passing fancy and something that I’m dead set keen on then funds may be released in the next couple of months for a modern wheel.

I think I’ve settled on the 16X or the 18XL. I’m 80kg (175 lbs) and I plan on using the wheel for door to door commuting to my work which is 13km (8 miles). Mostly along a straight bike path built under an elevated railway. The first and last couple of km will be on a foot path. The last foot path section is by a university which can get quite congested on the mornings.

I was originally set on the 16X because:

It looks awesome

wide tyre would make slow speed manoeuvring around pedestrians easier

torque!

But then I delved into the 16X issues thread and I started to have second thoughts. Cut-outs, pedal dips, poor weatherproofing, wheel oscillation, control board failures. Not something you want in a day to day commuter. So I’m now leaning towards the  18XL. It’s still a decent looking wheel, and while the congested footpath section might be harder, the long straight bike path will be more comfortable.

Is my thinking sound? Or are all the issues reported with the 16X the exception rather than the rule?

PS: The MSX and the Nikola are ugly (imo) and their trolley handles are impractical, I’ll be wanting to trolley the wheel inside my work place, up elevators and along corridors.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mortal Coil said:

Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist! Part of the budget I plan to negotiate for the wheel will include an extra $1K for safety gear, which will include a bodyguard :)

PM..

Thanks for that @Mortal Coil!   :clap3:

FWIW - I wouldn't be too focused on the 2200 W version of the 18XL. I ride the original 2000 W version up some significant hills (with a riding weight of 120+ kg) and it has never let me down. And (as I understand it) the performance throttling is less with the 2000 W motor, so I would have to ask why you would choose the higher powered motor.

• Like 2

To further mix the soup of 18XL versions, KS switched to a CST tire at (or about) the same time they switched to the more rugged white inner shell. While I don’t try any version of the 18XL very often, the rugged shelled 2000W version with the CST tire made me feel like slow speed manoeuvring was better than with the previous ChaoYang tire. It was a lot easier for me to turn 180• in a tight spot than how I remembered the older 18XL version.

On the actual question at hand, I admit it’s a tough call. Personally I liked the ergonomics on the 16X better than I do on the 18XL. (I’m 6’5”, 205lbs). Despite my long (although a bit bowed) legs the 18XL makes me feel as if the pedals were slightly hidden under the wheel, ie. slightly narrow. The 16X felt more natural in that sense for my calves and my preferred foot positioning, which is a bit duck-like with my toes spread out.

But I haven’t seen anyone else mention the 18XL pedals feeling narrow, so I might be the only person in the world feeling like this. I’m also used to extra wide DIY pedals on my own wheel.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

To further mix the soup of 18XL versions, KS switched to a CST tire at (or about) the same time they switched to the more rugged white inner shell. While I don’t try any version of the 18XL very often, the rugged shelled 2000W version with the CST tire made me feel like slow speed manoeuvring was better than with the previous ChaoYang tire. It was a lot easier for me to turn 180• in a tight spot than how I remembered the older 18XL version.

On the actual question at hand, I admit it’s a tough call. Personally I liked the ergonomics on the 16X better than I do on the 18XL. (I’m 6’5”, 205lbs). Despite my long (although a bit bowed) legs the 18XL makes me feel as if the pedals were slightly hidden under the wheel, ie. slightly narrow. The 16X felt more natural in that sense for my calves and my preferred foot positioning, which is a bit duck-like with my toes spread out.

But I haven’t seen anyone else mention the 18XL pedals feeling narrow, so I might be the only person in the world feeling like this. I’m also used to extra wide DIY pedals on my own wheel.

I agree that the 18XL feels a bit narrow. Even the MSX feels a bit narrow to me now compared to the 16X.
It's just a different feel though. I also ride duck footed. Quack!

• Like 3

Thanks, @Mike Sacristan, for your detailed explanation! Very useful info! :thumbup:

And @Marty Backe yet another confirmation that the tire width makes a massive difference, thanks! Also:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

For my recent mountain ride I chose the KS18XL because I had forgotten to fully charge my KS16X and it had been over a month since I rode it.

:roflmao:

So, it would appear the next evolution for GW & KS (if they listen to riders) would be 18x3" wheels? A KS 18X and a GW NSX (Nikola-Super-X)...? :efee612b4b:

@Mortal Coil Looks like the balance is tipping very much towards the 16X...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Thanks, @Mike Sacristan, for your detailed explanation! Very useful info! :thumbup:

And @Marty Backe yet another confirmation that the tire width makes a massive difference, thanks! Also:

:roflmao:

So, it would appear the next evolution for GW & KS (if they listen to riders) would be 18x3" wheels? A KS 18X and a GW NSX (Nikola-Super-X)...? :efee612b4b:

@Mortal Coil Looks like the balance is tipping very much towards the 16X...

Gotway has already made the transition - MSX and Nikola. KingSong just started with the 16X. I'm sure their next 18-inch wheel will also use a 3-inch tire.

• Like 1

3-inch tire is only 20% wider than a 2.5-inch tire. The difference is not huge. Just lower the pressure on a 2.5-inch tire by 20% to have a similar feel to a 3-inch tire.
Personally, I think that KS 18XL drives much better than KS 16X. I was disappointed with the KS 16X driving experience (CST tire, firmware 1.07) after 2-3 hours of riding this wheel. I did not have a joy of riding, because the wheel rode a bit as it wanted. Riding it is more difficult.

• Like 3

Well I guess I am late to the game here. I have fast read through previous posts. IMHO I would vote for @The Fat Unicyclist replies as how I were to argue a choice between KS16X (my favorite fun and slow ride wheel) vs KS18L/XL (pick if you are going to higher speed cruising).

I guess you don't see that much rain in Melbourne, and in that case I would go for KS16X. I prefer the pedals deployment on it. It is a gem at slow than walking speed (read crowded pedestrian areas). I don't ride fast any longer. But the KS16X is so great to ride due to its different ride style depending on its speed. 

Now the KS18L or XL (with a must of Jason/XL pedals) is more of a cruising ride. It can do anything you ask of it, but it is always in as a second place on everything but range. It is the safe choice, as it will get the job done.

So back to your choice.... It matters less what others say in the end. No matter what you do I recommend you to have a backup wheel if you are to swap down your car. And this is where the KS18L comes into play, as it will save you some cash. 

So why would you do that.... New 2020 gen wheels... Some brands started to talk suspension like a year or two back. This year it might very well happen. Now some buy 1st batch others don't. But since suspension is a new feature we have not yet seen, question is how much stuff needs to be ironed out.... All brand have had 1st bat h issues (lately, to some degree). 

I might not have made the choice easier. But any wheel you buy now can do the job.

But there will always be another new wheel coming... What you buy now is unlikely to be your last. (if you look on my profile you can see my wheel history. Add to that I have tested the Z10. To me the Z10 is replaced by KS16X. They ride about same speed, but KS16X has much more range, and better trolly by far. To me that strike the Z10 from a choice). 

Should you have any questions feel free to ask. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TDK said:

3-inch tire is only 20% wider than a 2.5-inch tire. The difference is not huge. Just lower the pressure on a 2.5-inch tire by 20% to have a similar feel to a 3-inch tire.
Personally, I think that KS 18XL drives much better than KS 16X. I was disappointed with the KS 16X driving experience (CST tire, firmware 1.07) after 2-3 hours of riding this wheel. I did not have a joy of riding, because the wheel rode a bit as it wanted. Riding it is more difficult.

Well this is something you get used to if you are riding other wheels. The KS16X behaves different. It is so much different to the width of tire and shape from 1.75 to 2.125 not so much but 2.125 to 2.5 much more. Even further sensation from 2.5 to 3 or 4.1 (Z10). The width means more than rim size step up/down 16" vs 18". 

Ohh I almost forgot... I am looking forward for you to report back once you start riding your new wheel. 

I forgot that wheel of yours (acm2?), that is a 14" right?

You will properly fing a 16" or even more an 18" wheel big in the beginning... But it will pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDK said:

I agree completely... The tyre width is is less significant.

If your preference is for off-roading, then the smaller diameter 16X is a winner.

But if you are commuting then (as a fat guy), the comfort of the 18XL is still superior!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I agree completely... The tyre width is is less significant.

If your preference is for off-roading, then the smaller diameter 16X is a winner.

But if you are commuting then (as a fat guy), the comfort of the 18XL is still superior!

To me, sub 3-inch wheels are dead. Like recommending an old KS14C. Good wheel for it's time but that's all.

These new 16-inch / 3-inch wide tires (Nikola & KS16X) are very large and really not that much smaller than the old style KS18 & MSuper tires.

I'm not recommending the KS18XL to anybody now, but of course that's just one mans opinion :)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

To me, sub 3-inch wheels are dead. Like recommending an old KS14C. Good wheel for it's time but that's all.

These new 16-inch / 3-inch wide tires (Nikola & KS16X) are very large and really not that much smaller than the old style KS18 & MSuper tires.

I'm not recommending the KS18XL to anybody now, but of course that's just one mans opinion :)

Wow @Marty Backe I thought almost obsolete was strong statement on sub 3 inch wheels... But Dead... :o

• Like 2