IMPORTANT: 16X Riders, Please Upgrade from v1.05 to v1.07!

Jason McNeil

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I sure wish there was a way to revert to previous versions of the firmware. I fear upgrading to 1.07 because if I don't like it, I'm screwed. It's like being told that you have to buy the car before you can test drive it.

Im in the same boat here... so happy with .05  -

Also all that charging complication we have heard about with beeps and the wheel still on...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Recently we've had a couple Customers report 16X cut-out events, one of these Customer has had moderate injuries, resulting in being bed ridden for over a week. 
The commonality of these incidents has been retention of v1.05, fearing the dreaded voltage reduced speed drop.

Unlike v1.06, the speed reduction on v1.07 has been moderated to a 5kph reduction at ~33%, which then declines linearly from there. Beyond the voltage speed reductions, KS claims to have made other motor tweaks in the firmware to yield more torque. It really is not worth the risk of getting injured for the sake of eking out a couple more kph on reduced battery. Please don't wait until you get a cut-out before upgrading.

Kingsong firmware lag, now my 18L don't turn on, anybody have any idea? 

3 hours ago, Aneta said:

What about some opinions that it becomes a "vegetable" after the "up"-grade?

I suspect he really rides the wheel hard, which makes me wonder why he didn't buy a Gotway instead. I probably don't accelerate or brake as hard as he does, so I hope I won't notice anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

18XL are unaffected, KS messed up the 16X voltage values on v1.05 , setting low voltage threshold to dangerously low 67v. 

As for me, I'll be sticking to 1.05, I'm always aware of my speed and the voltage readings, when it's low, I go down to 22 mph. 👍 Thanks for the heads up all the same. :whistling:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Also all that charging complication we have heard about with beeps and the wheel still on

These 2 points are really annoying. :(

The speed throttling is not bad with Firmware 1.0.7. 

44km/h @23% battery (rider weight 78kg)

Screenshot-20191104-160647-Kingsong.jpg

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 5:55 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

Damn man... looks like I might be doing this upgrade too then... especially if the pedals are harder.
I was riding the tilt back the other day and hit a series of bumps. I saw them coming so I preloaded the wheel to jump off the first and clear the next 2... well I actually landing on the third. I felt a slight yielding on the pedals and my body continued forward a couple of centimeters before I regained balance. I have also felt this yielding when riding offroad and navigating tall roots and rocks.

However I am interested in knowing how the hill climbing ability will be affected.

Hill Climbing (Concrete street) 30 yards... don't know the incline... looks steep to me

On 1.05... no problem, but I would have to warm up to it. Like at the beginning of my ride, it is slow, but after the 1st lap... going up the same hill is no problem.

On 1.07... It goes up the hill with speed. Once again, the pedal feels more solid.  In my opinion, It goes up hill better than when I was on 1.05

• Like 3

I have different opinion here and i have combined ~600 km with versions (200km with 1.06 and 400km  with 1.07) and know i riding 1.05.

1.05 has better acceleration from the start, better climbing.

In high speed 45km/h and more probably 1.07 is more stable power delivery.

What Jason say that dont ride with less than 50% battery 48 km/h because with 1.05 16x gives you full available power and motor could loose power and cutout.

In 1.07 it does not give your full power and leave some reserves for safety.

I think if you have that in mind you can safely operate it and retain KS 16x full power.

P.S. I was skeptical about 1.05 before i tried it.        

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

Hill Climbing (Concrete street) 30 yards... don't know the incline... looks steep to me

On 1.05... no problem, but I would have to warm up to it. Like at the beginning of my ride, it is slow, but after the 1st lap... going up the same hill is no problem.

On 1.07... It goes up the hill with speed. Once again, the pedal feels more solid.  In my opinion, It goes up hill better than when I was on 1.05

Thank you for sharing your impressions!

2 hours ago, skautas2003 said:

I have different opinion here and i have combined ~600 km with versions (200km with 1.06 and 400km  with 1.07) and know i riding 1.05.

1.05 has better acceleration from the start, better climbing.

In high speed 45km/h and more probably 1.07 is more stable power delivery.

What Jason say that dont ride with less than 50% battery 48 km/h because with 1.05 16x gives you full available power and motor could loose power and cutout.

In 1.07 it does not give your full power and leave some reserves for safety.

I think if you have that in mind you can safely operate it and retain KS 16x full power.

P.S. I was skeptical about 1.05 before i tried it.        

My 16X at 1.05 throttles me down anyway. At 50% battery I am at 45 kmh.
At 30% battery I am at 42 kmh.
This is with Darknessbot though so voltage would be more relevant.
Regardless I feel that I am getting throttled as the battery is being depleted. I have rarely hit 50 kmh.

I will check with my supplier and see if there is any chance of reverting in case I change my mind.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, Gaz Bon said:

Just updated mine hope I don't regret it 

Only had 1 face plant on 1.05 ;) @ 40+

Couple of things I noticed now on 1.07

1 Getting some braking wobbles not at high speeds or low very odd 

2 Had a strange peddle dip today only slightly but enough for a WTF 

All else seems solid enough ,carving seems more fun 

• Like 1

I’ll press my luck. I’ve run my wheel dry down to a painful 57v while it’s bucking like a bull and haven’t landed on my face yet. I’m holding out for 1.08. I don’t want my wheel to beep like crazy while I’m trying to use my 5A quick charger. The whole idea is to use your quick charger in public places on long ride days and not annoy everyone in the establishment.

• Like 3