Nikola and Nikola Plus compared to 16X

Dzlchef

2 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I didn't log anything but I can repeat tonight and track through EUC World and post.   

I think it would be interesting to see the forces at work. 

For the record, I don't have the guts nor skill to do that type of test ride. 

4 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Oh. Ok. To each his own.  I like them both.  I will have to wait and see if I ever get annoyed by having a low battery. It only annoyed me the first time because I didn’t know it was low.  So in the meantime I guess I’ll just own both brands. Lol

Does the Z 10 throttle back also or only king song? 

Only Gotway does not throttle as the battery goes down.

Gotway is all about allowing the owner of their wheel to use it as they wish. All the other manufacturers believe in one form or another of being nannies.

If you're not a guy that pushes your wheel than you won't care. That's OK. But you should understand why some riders are bothered by this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Not entirely true. 5-beep threshold definitely drops. See Jason's thread with the battery graphs for reference, sorry don’t have a few seconds to track it down right now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, who_the said:

Not entirely true. 5-beep threshold definitely drops. See Jason's thread with the battery graphs for reference, sorry don’t have a few seconds to track it down right now.

When I think throttling, I think tilt-back. The first time Gotway tilts-back is at about 2% battery :)

KingSong will literally start tilting back at 25-percent.

I think it's been too long since you've experienced the joys of KingSong ;)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, who_the said:

Throttling ≠ tiltback.

You’re right on one thing though, I'm 100% not a King Song guy.

So when the wheel starts tilt-back at 25-percent battery, what do you refer to this as if not Throttling???

Beeping (Gotway) is a suggestion. Throttling (KingSong) is a mandate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway is all about allowing the owner of their wheel to use it as they wish. All the other manufacturers believe in one form or another of being nannies.

If you're not a guy that pushes your wheel than you won't care. That's OK. But you should understand why some riders are bothered by this.

I can totally understand that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When I think throttling, I think tilt-back. The first time Gotway tilts-back is at about 2% battery :)

KingSong will literally start tilting back at 25-percent.

I think it's been too long since you've experienced the joys of KingSong ;)

By the way why does KS do these things? In my opinion and it’s just my opinion it’s very annoying and for the most part stupid.  I can understand safety but it’s not like when you buy a brand new car they restrict the speed and make it difficult to unlock its full potential.  I was just wondering why KS does it. Probably nobody really knows right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

I think it would be interesting to see the forces at work. 

For the record, I don't have the guts nor skill to do that type of test ride. 

Okay, had a few decent runs but many missteps but you can definitely see the spikes.  

https://euc.world/tour/577313847901081

• Upvote 1

Yes, folks I have the base 100volt model 1230wh.. I haven’t done a range test yet but plan to.  I’m quite happy with how fast this wheel goes even at lower voltages.. the wheel wasn’t even giving me a beep until 5% battery (darkness bot). In other words there has been no voltage sag that I can feel. Unlike my e boards where sag is always an issue.

Hey @Marty Backe, and @houseofjob please weigh your wheel I’m curious what the weight difference is between the base 100volt and the plus. One thing I am noticing is it does take a bit of effort stopping these heavy wheels quickly. 

mark

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Yes, folks I have the base 100volt model 1230wh.. I haven’t done a range test yet but plan to.  I’m quite happy with how fast this wheel goes even at lower voltages.. the wheel wasn’t even giving me a beep until 5% battery (darkness bot). In other words there has been no voltage sag that I can feel. Unlike my e boards where sag is always an issue.

Hey @Marty Backe, and @houseofjob please weigh your wheel I’m curious what the weight difference is between the base 100volt and the plus. One thing I am noticing is it does take a bit of effort stopping these heavy wheels quickly. 

mark

My Nik+ is 56.6 lbs, damn heavy.

But I notice no issues with stopping, but that could just be how I ride I think, esp always on soft mode for most Gotways (Nik+ soft mode is super buttery and responsive!)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

You could just charge it with your 84v charger to charge it to 84v right? Not sure what % that corresponds to in a 100v wheel.

Not practicality-wise.

First the connectors are different, Gotway 84V is GX16-4 pin & Gotway 100V is GX16-5 pin.

Then, AFAIk, 0% for Gotway is 3.3V per cell, so for 100V / 24S, that's 79.2V, so you barely gain a charge level to really ride (get up to 22%?).

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

But I notice no issues with stopping, but that could just be how I ride I think, esp always on soft mode for most Gotways (Nik+ soft mode is super buttery and responsive!)

Certainly not an issue stopping, however if you took a mten3, mcm5, and Nikola plus and did a stop test from 20 mph,  I’m sure the Nikola would be way last.. yes, smaller wheel more torque, however weight certainly has a momentum play in it.

yes Soft Mode is the way to go, a nice pendulum effect.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mrd777 said:

Certainly not an issue stopping, however if you took a mten3, mcm5, and Nikola plus and did a stop test from 20 mph,  I’m sure the Nikola would be way last.. yes, smaller wheel more torque, however weight certainly has a momentum play in it.

yes Soft Mode is the way to go, a nice pendulum effect.

Hmmmm...

Yes, not fair comparisons, as those other 2 wheels are considerably lighter, with higher power vs weight.

I need to try an MTen3 on soft mode some time, as when I owned one, I wasn't comfortable with Gotway soft mode.

But I don't feel the Nikola is any slow a braking wheel for wheels at similar wheel weights I think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, not fair comparisons, as those other 2 wheels are considerably lighter, with higher power vs weight.

Would love instrumented testing of some sort at some point. Would make for great video too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Patton250 said:

By the way why does KS do these things? In my opinion and it’s just my opinion it’s very annoying and for the most part stupid.  I can understand safety but it’s not like when you buy a brand new car they restrict the speed and make it difficult to unlock its full potential.  I was just wondering why KS does it. Probably nobody really knows right? 

image.png.e9c9bf3d7acc2a1462cefadd7fe55388.png

image.png.7ed74f35de0e80000350eb557697cc14.png

Edited by buell47

31 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Honestly.   I ride my nikola hard as hell.  I don’t have but about a 15 mile daily commute so I am a able to push it to its limits.. and beyond. I had my first overpowered cutout yesterday.  It wouldn’t have happened if I’d paid attention to the battery. I let it drop below 50% and it cutout at 34.9 mph.  !!ouch!!  Lol.   That pavement doesn’t give.  It only takes skin.     But my nikola is tough as hell.  It only sufferedminor scratches and a broken handle even when it rolled and skidded over 20meters.    But that’s not the point.  I ride my nikola and I lean into it as hard as I can and I brake just as hard at every stop sign and relight.  I love it.  It’s exhilarating.  And my 84v nikola with the 1st gen board handles it with ease.. as long as its above 50%battery. Lol.  

Nice to hear, now we can talk again about the KS speed limit and throttling at 25% or 50% battery :thumbup::popcorn:

ähmm....better there:

Edited by buell47

Lucas Alexander: 35 mph means 56,3 Kmh = 15.6 m per second !!!!!
how do you pass 50Kmh on 50% battery ??

do you realize true speed or you just imagine that you have this speed ?!
there is no ...LOL here really !

Edited by Meserias