Nikola and Nikola Plus compared to 16X

Dzlchef

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm not saying you shouldn't ride that speed. I'm just saying you don't have to. A simple lift test will reveal the Nikola 100% battery (or whatever you are at, but of course 100% is most interesting) top speed.

But without body weight. Which is useless tbh.

If you’re under 180lbs this wheel can absolutely take you 40mph with 80%+ battery

• Like 3

I don't mean the final switch off/"lift" speed, but the 3rd alarm (5 beeps) speed. If the Nikola works like all other Gotways, the 3rd alarm is speed- and battery charge-dependent (highest at 100% and going down linearly to some lower speed at 10%). So a lift test (lifting the wheel and slowly spinning it up, kph by kph) will reveal how fast you can ride the Nikola without beeping, which is what counts (and also gives comparison to the other Gotways).

• Upvote 1

What, why, huh?

I just want to know at which speed the 3rd alarm (5 beeps) appears on the 100V (and 84V) Nikola at 100% battery charge. That's all I want to know. Someone please find that out.

People can speed all they want for all I care. Just don't die before telling us that speed (afterwards is fine;)).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I was trying so hard to hit 80% alarm but couldn’t. 38.7 with only two beeps 

If you got two beeps then you interrupted the alarm by throttling back. I've done it plenty of times. Reaching those speed is hard and the wind resistance becomes crazy at that point. Since you are already hinging at the hip and bending your knees have you tried tucking your arms behind you? You will feel particularly exposed though. :efee612b4b: I've played with it a bit but need more practice.

How long will it be before we start wearing lycra? 

Darrell: What? I've been wearing lycra this whole time. :efefa07c43:

40kmh biking
Baggy shorts/t-shirt: 285W
Lycra tights/shorts: 257W
Skinsuit (sausage and meatballs edition): 252W (not worth it bro also my eyes are up here)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

If you got two beeps then you interrupted the alarm by throttling back. I've done it plenty of times. Reaching those speed is hard and the wind resistance becomes crazy at that point. Since you are already hinging at the hip and bending your knees have you tried tucking your arms behind you? You will feel particularly exposed though. :efee612b4b: I've played with it a bit but need more practice.

How long will it be before we start wearing lycra? 

Darrell: What? I've been wearing lycra this whole time. :efefa07c43:

40kmh biking
Baggy shorts/t-shirt: 285W
Lycra tights/shorts: 257W
Skinsuit (sausage and meatballs edition): 252W (not worth it bro also my eyes are up here)

Interesting video! I do wear lycra baselayers under my motorcycle gear for wicking haha. 

And tucking my arms behind me is a definite no! This is different from downhill longboarding.

I actually put 1 arm in front of me to offset my hinged position and tip my center of gravity forward a bit more at high speeds. 

The pic of chooch is how low we’re talking I’m getting at high speeds to provide suspension over any bumps since it was my first day and I was unsure of how the wheel would react to anything at those speeds. I just have 1 arm sticking forward in that position since I’m sitting back so much. 

It would be much easier to accelerate to faster speeds with @EUC GUY powerpads. On a straightaway at 38mph i literally felt like I would have to lose my balance and fall off to go any faster from the wind resistance. I mean, of course I could Michael Jackson lean it with a tall posture and relatively straight knees; but that’s highly unsafe at high speeds due to lack of shock absorption and i think highly inefficient due to less aerodynamics. 

D1ACDE33-7FE1-4C34-868F-79E14CB094BD.png

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

It would be much easier to accelerate to faster speeds with @EUC GUY powerpads. On a straightaway at 38mph i literally felt like I would have to lose my balance and fall off to go any faster from the wind resistance. I mean, of course I could Michael Jackson lean it with a tall posture and relatively straight knees; but that’s highly unsafe at high speeds due to lack of shock absorption and i think highly inefficient due to less aerodynamics. 

Try accelerating on angles / diagonals / carves, where you drop and loading on your hip back on the outside turn leg / heel (that arm back to guide the hip), and lean on the inner turn leg, but as you go, don't lean full MJ forward, tip-toe (full heel up) and lean upwards / stand straighter.

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I mean, of course I could Michael Jackson lean it with a tall posture and relatively straight knees; but that’s highly unsafe at high speeds due to lack of shock absorption and i think highly inefficient due to less aerodynamics. 

LOL

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Try accelerating on angles / diagonals / carves, where you drop and loading on your hip back on the outside turn leg / heel (that arm back to guide the hip), and lean on the inner turn leg, but as you go, don't lean full MJ forward, tip-toe (full heel up) and lean upwards / stand straighter.

LOL

If only someone would make a video.

Oh hey @houseofjob how you doin?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

LOL

When I get more comfortable I’ll trust the wheels shock absorption better and be able to do this. For the first day I was in new speed territory with a smaller diameter wheel and worried about going even a little airborne if I hit anything that fast lol 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

If only someone would make a video.

Oh hey @houseofjob how you doin?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d4457b737626b5a45

(I know, I know)

9 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

When I get more comfortable I’ll trust the wheels shock absorption better and be able to do this. For the first day I was in new speed territory with a smaller diameter wheel and worried about going even a little airborne if I hit anything that fast lol 

Well sheeeeeet, hurry up! (j/k, I know, get yourself acquainted with the wheel first for sure.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Could anyone comment on the differences in the tires between the Nikola and 16x? 

One thing that stuck out to me was @Marty Backe mentioning how comfortable and cushy the Nikola's tires were. 

The 16X tire has been nothing but rock hard, and I've tried it as low as 20 psi. To put it another way: 16X at 20psi is much harder than the suspension like tire of the MCM5 at 30 psi.

13 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Could anyone comment on the differences in the tires between the Nikola and 16x? 

One thing that stuck out to me was @Marty Backe mentioning how comfortable and cushy the Nikola's tires were. 

The 16X tire has been nothing but rock hard, and I've tried it as low as 20 psi. To put it another way: 16X at 20psi is much harder than the suspension like tire of the MCM5 at 30 psi.

Some local NYC guys who just got airshipped 16X's have been saying that this new stock tire is much more stiff & hard and Z10 tubeless tire-like than the CYT Chao Yang they had on the preprod version. I can attest that on my failed attempt to change the 16X tire to the new no-name CX tire, that it was indeed much stiffer and harder to get on & off, hence why I pinched the tube with my tire lever.

On the flip side, the Nikola CST Cheng Shin tire is super cushion-y, but without the ricochet that say an MSX CYT tire has. Even pumping max PSI on the Nikola tire, I still feel it swallow bumps (and not ricocheting off them).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

Odd. On page 51 of the big 16x thread it was mentioned that King Song was switching to a tire that I thought was the same as the Nikola.

Yes, I believe they switched to the same tire as the Nikola as well? @houseofjob had a pre-production unit with the old tire though, and @chrisjunlee I believe only has the K16X, so perhaps it's still the same tire but Chris doesn't find it comfortable on the 16X?

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

Odd. On page 51 of the big 16x thread it was mentioned that King Song was switching to a tire that I thought was the same as the Nikola.

11 minutes ago, Nils said:

Yes, I believe they switched to the same tire as the Nikola as well? @houseofjob had a pre-production unit with the old tire though, and @chrisjunlee I believe only has the K16X, so perhaps it's still the same tire but Chris doesn't find it comfortable on the 16X?

Many things got audibled on-the-fly last minute it seems for the 16X, right before production (tire, seat/no seat, etc)

The claimed production-run tire KS sent me to swap on the preprod 16X unit, as well as the ones on early 16X order production wheels is the below (perhaps the early 16X guys can confirm here(?))

Production 16X "CX" tire

vVzGHtF.jpg

and.....

Pre-production 16X CYT Tire

2fL5P1G.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Interesting video! I do wear lycra baselayers under my motorcycle gear for wicking haha. 

Haha it's the thought that counts!

And tucking my arms behind me is a definite no! This is different from downhill longboarding.

I have yet to see a longboarder land on his jaw. But like I said... one does feel very exposed haha. Maybe we should get sliding pucks.

I actually put 1 arm in front of me to offset my hinged position and tip my center of gravity forward a bit more at high speeds. 

I do similar and I prefer it because it is easier for me to retreat vs...

The pic of chooch is how low we’re talking I’m getting at high speeds to provide suspension over any bumps since it was my first day and I was unsure of how the wheel would react to anything at those speeds. I just have 1 arm sticking forward in that position since I’m sitting back so much. 

this... CHAMONAAAAA. IHIIIIII!!! I have a few friends who just naturally ride standing and leaning like that. Surprisingly they are still alive though. But it's not my cup of tea. I ride with bent knees 99% of the time. Bent at the knee and the hip with my right arm usually being the one in front of me (i'm goofy) though I might switch sometimes during a long turn.

I wish the powerpads went both ways though. Backwards as well for improved breaking/downhill performance.

4 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Would it be possible to swap out the 16x tire with the Nikola tire? 

I'm really disappointed the 16x rides harsher than my MCM5, and at this point the MCM5 is better in every way besides range =/

Yes, should be able to, as they're the same size, just gotta double-check how much gap there is between the shell undercarriage and the tire. 

KS does not traditionally make that crevice too tight, but don't quote me on this, it'll be trial-and-error for those who attempt (though, I would say it would be worth the attempt IMHO).

23 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Many things got audibled on-the-fly last minute it seems for the 16X, right before production (tire, seat/no seat, etc)

The claimed production-run tire KS sent me to swap on the preprod 16X unit, as well as the ones on early 16X order production wheels is the below (perhaps the early 16X guys can confirm here(?))

Production 16X "CX" tire

vVzGHtF.jpg

OK, that's not the tire that I have on my Nikola at any rate.

2 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

wish the powerpads went both ways though. Backwards as well for improved breaking/downhill performance.

I make my own similar powerpads(only have them on the MSX), and had thought of having a rear one but it would be a nightmare to mount the wheel. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Daniel-Son said:

My tire model number is not quite the same. My tire is CX321 not CX327.

Looks like KingSong actually does utilize a random pile of tires to take from. At least Gotway seems better in this regards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like KingSong actually does utilize a random pile of tires to take from. At least Gotway seems better in this regards.

Car manufacturers do this all the time. You order the same car with a 3 month interval and both cars can come with different brands of tires mounted.

• Like 1