Nikola and Nikola Plus compared to 16X

Dzlchef

16 minutes ago, buell47 said:

wow, what do I feel when I switch from the V8 with 1.950 to the 16X or Nikola with 3.0 tyres? :dribble:

Like you just traded in your Kia for a Cadillac.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Now for round two! I unfortunately had only 60% battery left as I headed out to do a speed test. I was able to reach 37mph on flat ground with still winds (no tailwind) and barely hit the first beep. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to hear it but it was loud and clear on this wheel. On my MSX 84v, I hit the first beep at 31mph. I weigh 190lbs with gear on. This wheel can absolutely go 40+mph. It’s not as reassuring at high speeds as the MSX, but much more nimble and responsive, acceleration is much easier than the MSX.

Thank you, and interesting to hear about your comparison with the MSX. While I don't have the MSX myself, at the times when I've tried it I've always ended up getting more wobbles with the MSX at the similar speeds (which I contribute to it's higher center of gravity), while my (84V) Nikola always have felt more stable and grounded. Have you checked and adjusted your tire pressure?

11 minutes ago, Nils said:

Thank you, and interesting to hear about your comparison with the MSX. While I don't have the MSX myself, at the times when I've tried it I've always ended up getting more wobbles with the MSX at the similar speeds (which I contribute to it's higher center of gravity), while my (84V) Nikola always have felt more stable and grounded. Have you checked and adjusted your tire pressure?

The Nikola gave me no wobbles, it feels fine now that I added the stock pads. I have something similar to the powerpads EUCGUY makes for the MSX on my MsuperX so of course I have a lot more stability and control and comfort over bumps at speed. 

The MSX is much more reassuring at high speeds than the Nikola due to the larger tire and more aggressive pedal angle forcing you into the wheel. The MSX with powerpads makes you feel invincible. I wouldn’t mind going 50mph on the MSX and feel totally planted on it

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

So, just had my first cruise around town with the 100v Nikola Plus. 

I at first omitted from putting the pads on, because the gloss finish looked so nice! I must admit, I spent my first half hour polishing the wheel and applying wax before even stepping on it! This all black version of the wheel is much more a head turner then the 16x can ever be no contest. 

The trolley handle is excellent. It’s nice and wide unlike the thin INMOTION handles. I had no problems wheeling it around and not having it lose control like with the MSX trolley (I once burned up the carpet of a Wendy’s because the MSX trolley sucks) 

The speakers are amazing. It sounds like PA speakers lol, it just projects out of the wheel unlike the Z10 or kingsongs where the sound is muffled. Can go very loud. I will no longer need my portable Bluetooth speakers with this wheel. 

Speaking of speakers, you’ll be happy to know THE SPEED ALARM BEEPS on this wheel are louder than they are on the MSX. 

Which brings me to the speed test.... I actually chickened out.... for the first cruise! I didn’t have the pads on the wheel so I didn’t go anywhere near all out for my first cruise. Without the pads, despite my disposition for a wide stance, the wheel did not feel as stable as I wanted at high speeds. Also, on mounts and dismounts my mount leg was literally sliding off the wheel and not able to control it(probably thanks to the wax I put on it that made it too slick 😅)

I reached 34mph. I’m not a gripper, but I went back home and slapped the pads on and the wheel felt much better over potholes and bumps and I was able to mount and dismount effortlessly without sliding. 

Now for round two! I unfortunately had only 60% battery left as I headed out to do a speed test. I was able to reach 37mph on flat ground with still winds (no tailwind) and barely hit the first beep. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to hear it but it was loud and clear on this wheel. On my MSX 84v, I hit the first beep at 31mph. I weigh 190lbs with gear on. This wheel can absolutely go 40+mph. It’s not as reassuring at high speeds as the MSX, but much more nimble and responsive, acceleration is much easier than the MSX. 

I ended up getting 30miles using 50% battery, going very fast on average. 

Thanks for the mini-review/impressions! Sounds like a winner! Brave riding as well. :clap3:

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

@Marty Backe @houseofjob what tire pressure do you run your Nikola at? 

36 PSI, but I recently rode a fellow rider's 84V Nikola, which had 40 PSI, and it still felt pretty bouncy, thought it was underinflated for my weight.

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The speakers are amazing. It sounds like PA speakers lol, it just projects out of the wheel unlike the Z10 or kingsongs where the sound is muffled. Can go very loud. I will no longer need my portable Bluetooth speakers with this wheel. 

Make sure to do the hydrophobic cloth mod for rain, as the speakers have no protection through the inner hole in the shell.

Speaking of speakers, you’ll be happy to know THE SPEED ALARM BEEPS on this wheel are louder than they are on the MSX. 

Check where they installed your beeper, it might be able to be even louder just by positioning it.

The MSX beeper is soft partly because it is mounted in the shell the farthest away from your ears, near the pedal (and also blocked in the "ear"line to your ear by the bulge of the battery).

One of the Nik+'s of a fellow rider's I worked on, they mounted the beeper in that similar area near the pedals, instead of how the rest of our Nik+'s had the beeper mounted near the top, where there is a fixture for it.

Also, on mounts and dismounts my mount leg was literally sliding off the wheel and not able to control it(probably thanks to the wax I put on it that made it too slick 😅)

I reached 34mph. I’m not a gripper, but I went back home and slapped the pads on and the wheel felt much better over potholes and bumps and I was able to mount and dismount effortlessly without sliding. 

I know at my 5'8" Asian frame, the very top protruding shell near the top of the handle digs into my knee, only when mounting, so I'm looking for a clear pad option to stick there.

Also, common to these glossy LED shell covered EUC's, skin on glossy shell tends to stick, esp in the summer heat, which is a bit frustrating, but oh well.

Without the pads, despite my disposition for a wide stance, the wheel did not feel as stable as I wanted at high speeds. Also, on mounts and dismounts my mount leg was literally sliding off the wheel and not able to control it(probably thanks to the wax I put on it that made it too slick 😅)

I don't remember if you're a Gotway Hard mode guy, but I wonder if this is the issue.

I just tried the Hard mode on the Nikola and hated it; it behaved like no other Gotway Hard mode I've ever felt: the press was actually a little softer than a real Hard mode initial press, then the pedals kind of lean forward in a pedal dip and lock (which feels really sketchy), with braking being the only normal hard response of your typical Gotway hard mode.

Do me a favor and try the Nik+'s soft mode, even if you're not used to Gotway soft mode in general. It's more rubbery resistant than the free&wide-swinging Gotway soft modes of past, and honestly makes the control way better than the Hard mode on this Nik+ IMHO.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

36 PSI, but I recently rode a fellow rider's 84V Nikola, which had 40 PSI, and it still felt pretty bouncy, thought it was underinflated for my weight.

Do you mean it felt overinflated? Im thinking about lowering mine to 35 from 38. 

Also, forget to mention seated riding is absolutely not an option on this wheel at only 5’11. You were right and that you sink into the back of the shell when trying to ride seated and can’t relax at all doing so. Huge bummer right there .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Do you mean it felt overinflated? Im thinking about lowering mine to 35 from 38. 

Also, forget to mention seated riding is absolutely not an option on this wheel at only 5’11. You were right and that you sink into the back of the shell when trying to ride seated and can’t relax at all doing so. Huge bummer right there .

Have you seen the prototype seat from Gotway that they have been posting on Facebook?

• Upvote 1

So, just had my first cruise around town with the 100v Nikola Plus. 

I at first omitted from putting the pads on, because the gloss finish looked so nice! I must admit, I spent my first half hour polishing the wheel and applying wax before even stepping on it! This all black version of the wheel is much more a head turner then the 16x can ever be no contest. 

The trolley handle is excellent. It’s nice and wide unlike the thin INMOTION handles. I had no problems wheeling it around and not having it lose control like with the MSX trolley (I once burned up the carpet of a Wendy’s because the MSX trolley sucks) 

Which brings me to the speed test.... I actually chickened out.... for the first cruise! I didn’t have the pads on the wheel so I didn’t go anywhere near all out for my first cruise. Without the pads, despite my disposition for a wide stance, the wheel did not feel as stable as I wanted at high speeds. Also, on mounts and dismounts my mount leg was literally sliding off the wheel and not able to control it(probably thanks to the wax I put on it that made it too slick 😅)

Yeah, I really did not like the Nikola without the pads. My legs were sliding all around on the shell.

I think you're going to love the Nikola as much as me and everyone else is.

And yeah, I think this is a much sexier looking wheel than the 16X. The 16X reminds me of the unsexy ACM. Nice like tanks, but not eye candy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The 16X reminds me of the unsexy ACM. Nice like tanks, but not eye candy.

It does look better than an ACM, but I know what you mean. The Nikola looks more what you would expect an EUC to look (if all you know are the old Ninebots).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Someone just do a lift test already!:pooping:You don't have to ride that speed.

Eh, my roads are relatively smooth here and I’m not trying to exceed the 5 beeps, just trying to reach it.... for science!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Yeah I’m hinging so low for suspension/stability but it sacrifices some speed by putting my center of mass too far back. Once I get more comfortable with how it reacts at speed I can Definitely  go faster more reliably

This thing has more speed than I need in a 16”! 

Yup, this.

I dunno, I feel like they proportioned everything right (high pedals, even higher wheel body and wheel body girth) so you CAN go crazy speeds if you want to, even being 16, especially with the sponginess 3" wide base of the CST tire.