Nikola and Nikola Plus compared to 16X

Dzlchef

16 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Rode my Nik+ all last night, and though still early, it already feels next level, looking to be in my all-time top 5 wheels owned ever, of my now 18 wheel owner history across all makers (and I don't even like 16's usually).

The 16X is a solid wheel (outside of all the bobble stuff), better than I thought going in, but nowhere near my instantaneous, almost visceral reaction to this Nik+. Letting it rip on open straightaways is just unreal.

i knew.. i absolutely knew it.. i was able to deduce this exact conclusion even with out ever riding the Nikola plus, due to my experience of riding 84v nikola and my MSX 100v PLUS. 

Glad you are liking the Nikola plus :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It goes back to the very roots of KingSong's creation. The owner believes in safety above performance. It's only been very recent that KingSong has started competing with Gotway in terms of performance.

And I still don't know the true creation story of KingSong. I believe the story goes that whomever started KingSong originally worked at Gotway, quit, and took some of the intellectual property (firmware) with them. This is why Gotway doesn't allow firmware updates - they are paranoid of software theft.

You may wonder how is it that the Gotway and KingSong have some features which are identical. The most striking example which shows the common DNA between KingSong and Gotway is the calibration procedure. It's a very arcane and not intuitive process, yet it's identical between the two companies. Coincidental? I think not.

So there's no love loss between Gotway and KingSong.

Well that type of thing happens all over the world in every industry.  At the different gun manufactures they split off all the time. Same thing with the car Industry. Electronics. Heck the RTC coolers guy had left yeti.  Sometimes “intellectual property theft” also means I learned my experience at your company and brought it somewhere else theft. 

Anyway I knew you’d have some answers my friend. You really do follow this stuff. Very interesting. I didn’t know it gotway didn’t do firmware updates until you just told me.  What if they discover a mistake? How do they get it fixed? 

I don’t think I’ve ever done a successful firmware update on any of my kinks songs either.  I have on my Segway-Ninebot but not the Z 10. In fact somethings wrong with the app and my Z 10 I’ll have to figure out later when I have time. 

Thanks Marty

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Okay, had a few decent runs but many missteps but you can definitely see the spikes.  

https://euc.world/tour/577313847901081

That are mindblowing, 140A or about 10kW.

Just as comparison, my heat fan have 2.2kW at 220V socket here in Sweden that is 10A. that cord get very soft when it is running, and hot. your wheel is 5x that in energy.

I wouldn't dare doing that knowing what basis knowledge I have about cord and how big they need to be to handle this energy. I am not saying I am right, but even so I would't dare it. 

8 minutes ago, US69 said:

GW doesn't Show real battery amperage! What is Shows seams to be the Amperage behind Mosfets...which then means it in fact mostly a lower voltage

Ok sorry for being a bit slow here, so how do you read an actual power strain going on inside the wheel? or you can't?

4 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Ok sorry for being a bit slow here, so how do you read an actual power strain going on inside the wheel? or you can't?

You can, as said KS Reports corrects Battery amperage. It is just that GW decided to Show the Motor amperage, who knows why?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

It’s funny I think the exact opposite of everything you just said except I agree with you on the tire.  This wheel is awesome looking. Very well-built. The trolley handle is rocksolid and looks great.  Carbon fiber look as cool.  These aren’t spoiler accents on an R8 man. It’s just an EUC from China. The pedals are the best of any wheel I own and also the most comfortable and they look great. Although my Nikola pedals are pretty comfortable also but slippery when you have dirt or mud on your feet. 

I have a lot more to learn about this wheel but so far I am incredibly impressed with it. My only frustrations were the safety settings for the first 20 minutes after I turn the wheel on for the first time. Once I got the app settings correct with help from the great people here it was smooth sailing after that. I hope they fix the battery percentage problem and after that everything should be perfect. 

So how do you compare the glide/smoothness of the ride between MSX, Nikola, Z10 and KS16X? I noted in an earlier post that you said it was as smooth if not a bit smoother than the Nikola. Do you feel the cogging on the KS16X?

3 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

All right let’s leave the Z 10 out of this because it’s a whole different world. I love that world but nothing rides like it. 

The MSX, Nikola and 16X in my opinion all have very similar rides. The Nikola and 16X ride most alike with the MSX a little further away in likeness.  What I mean by this is thinking of my 18XL and 16S they seem to be more shifty.  In other words those two move around more so I have to pay more attention. With the Nikola and 16X and the MSX to some degree they ride more smooth and comfortable with less unpredictability.  Unfortunately I think my words are going to frustrate some because my words probably don’t describe 100% what I’m feeling and I’ve noticed a lot of brand as well as model bias here so people get upset easily.   To be honest it’s starting to make me want to not discuss it anymore. People seem to get offended easily.  I have no bias toward any brand, at least not yet, so I assure everyone I’m not trying to offend anybody. 

Meh don't worry about it. Offense is taken not given. :efee612b4b: People can have all the bias they want it won't change anything.

Your opinion is valuable to all of us especially as you own all of these wheels which is quite an impressive collection. I totally understand the likeness of the Nikola and 16X. They are quite similar wheels in weight, size, tyre, and width which translates to leverage. Reading specs and watching videos is fun and all but to me the feel is extremely important and that's why I value your opinion even more. You ride for the fun and for the feel. Not just for the specs.

I understand what you mean about the 18XL and the 16S. They tend to flop between the legs and get lost somewhere in between. I don't like riding with my knees bent inwards. This becomes especially worrying for me at high speeds and especially at long high speed turns. Perhaps thicker sidepads would improve this. Still they are a bit more squirrely than the wider tyres.

I guess i'll have to PM you about the Z10 though. Again, sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

The google keyword is "Phase current VS Battery current"
There are some explanations on this subject, maybe this will help you?

Top!!!

@Unventor As you see you Need a German capable of better english than me to find the correct word :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Would somebody post a screenshot with the battery % and the voltage at below 50% battery, for both wheels. Then we can make an educated guess what the 0% voltage is on each wheel. I say guess because the voltage measurement is so inexact.

@US69 So 18(X)L goes down to 3.0V and the 16X to 3.15V?

2 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

What is the Nikola + top speed people have seen so far?

Someone needs to do a lift test with the Nikola. Charge to 100%, lift it up, and spin it up and see when the 5 beeps start. I'd be interested what the numbers are for the 84V and especially 100V.

12 hours ago, houseofjob said:

My Nik+ is 56.6 lbs, damn heavy.

But I notice no issues with stopping, but that could just be how I ride I think, esp always on soft mode for most Gotways (Nik+ soft mode is super buttery and responsive!)

1230 wh weighs 53.5 lbs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Patton250 said:

All right let’s leave the Z 10 out of this because it’s a whole different world. I love that world but nothing rides like it. 

The MSX, Nikola and 16X in my opinion all have very similar rides. The Nikola and 16X ride most alike with the MSX a little further away in likeness.  What I mean by this is thinking of my 18XL and 16S they seem to be more shifty.  In other words those two move around more so I have to pay more attention. With the Nikola and 16X and the MSX to some degree they ride more smooth and comfortable with less unpredictability.  Unfortunately I think my words are going to frustrate some because my words probably don’t describe 100% what I’m feeling and I’ve noticed a lot of brand as well as model bias here so people get upset easily.   To be honest it’s starting to make me want to not discuss it anymore. People seem to get offended easily.  I have no bias toward any brand, at least not yet, so I assure everyone I’m not trying to offend anybody. 

I really can't agree with your statement comparing the MSX and Nikola. In no way do they ride similar. It's almost a night and day difference between those two wheels. This then makes me question your assertion that the Nikola is very similar to the 16X.

We just must be talking apples to oranges :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wheelr said:

@Alien Rides already did it

Thank you, but that test wasn't mostly pointless. He did it way too fast, instead of carefully increasing the speed by single kphs. All this gives is an approximate no-load shut-off speed, but not the much more meaningful 3rd alarm speed where the beeps appear.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, US69 said:

GW doesn't Show real battery amperage! What is Shows seams to be the Amperage behind Mosfets...which then means it in fact mostly a lower voltage

That sounds suspiciously anti gotway. 

Why would mosfet voltage be lower than battery voltage? 

9 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Honestly.   I ride my nikola hard as hell.  I don’t have but about a 15 mile daily commute so I am a able to push it to its limits.. and beyond. I had my first overpowered cutout yesterday.  It wouldn’t have happened if I’d paid attention to the battery. I let it drop below 50% and it cutout at 34.9 mph.  !!ouch!!  Lol.   That pavement doesn’t give.  It only takes skin.     But my nikola is tough as hell.  It only sufferedminor scratches and a broken handle even when it rolled and skidded over 20meters.    But that’s not the point.  I ride my nikola and I lean into it as hard as I can and I brake just as hard at every stop sign and relight.  I love it.  It’s exhilarating.  And my 84v nikola with the 1st gen board handles it with ease.. as long as its above 50%battery. Lol.  

That's a nasty speed to get an over-lean at..  Glad to hear you're relatively OK!

You didn't get any beeps then I take it, or did you hear them but didn't have time to react?

I can relate to your love for aggressive riding, but at those speeds and battery the marginals are very slim. Personally, I like to think of a wheel's margins as a factor of multiple things: battery and speed and other load factors (i.e. inclines/declines). A wheel with full battery and low speed has a lot of margin and will allow for a lot. At high speed the margins are much smaller. At low(er) battery the margins are much smaller.  At high speed and  with low(er) battery? Adding some incline? Very small margins.. :cry2: One needs to do some personal throttling based on those factors.  Especially important for people that enjoy aggressive driving I'd say, as for instance attempting a quick acceleration during adverse conditions will result in over-powering all wheels I'd think. I'd like to think I've learned my lesson after over-leaning my KS16B (no beeps), but the V10F has forced me off a lot of times as well so perhaps not.. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I won't come near the speeds you're riding at.. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1