Nikola and Nikola Plus compared to 16X

Dzlchef

12 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I never received that peep talk Marty. ;)

That's what I should say. You're the more senior rider here. I was blissfully unaware of the existence of EUCs while you were doing your experiments :)

10 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

No man that’s not it at all. I was very passionate about baseball and I’m passionate about EUC‘s and my other hobbies.  It’s just I’m new to this forum and I think I finally realized just today that this is all about brand loyalty and not about being objective. It’s also about the feeling of superiority with experience.  These two things always cause friction on forums and people try to be nice about it but that never works because written communication almost always is a terrible way to communicate ones true feelings or in most cases hide ones true feelings.  What happened is I tried to give my honest opinion about two different wheels from two different companies and brand loyalty got in the middle of that so I got hammered for it.  One guy who I happen to respect even mocked me above.  I don’t really need that.  Thats not why I joined this forum and that’s what I meant when I talked about some people take this very seriously.  No wonder some of you gave birth to a set of dishes when I called these things toys. Lol good grief.  I apologize for showing up in the middle of this turf war.  I certainly didn’t mean to.  It’s all good.  

Just to be clear, I strive for wheel objectivity. I certainly have my favorites, but I'm not a single-brand owner.

But yeah, I have a few new sets of dishes for sure :)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I believe you succinctly summarized what a majority of the 16X owners feel at this moment. 

My 16X is currently sitting at a Fedex office until my return from vacation. I am beginning to vacillate back and forth about sending the wheel back to Jason and apply the funds towards a Nikola 100V. 

I understand how you feel. That thought did pop in to my head too.

I'm hoping that this gets resolved soon. When the wheel was behaving as it should, I started to get the feeling (as I got used to it with my limited time riding it thus far) that it could be amazing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Never confuse the deflation when something is wrong with a wheel (I know the feeling!) with how great the wheel itself is. I'm sure some 1st batch Nikola owners regretted not getting an MSX, and where are they now? Happy! My impression, 16X owners are one firmware update away from greatness.

Can't wait for some 16X range and mountain test results.

Me too :popcorn:   I wonder if anyone will be testing the wheel?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Just to be clear, I strive for wheel objectivity. I certainly have my favorites, but I'm not a single-brand owner.

But yeah, I have a few new sets of dishes for sure :)

Welp, you didn’t contradict anything I said so now I pretty much understand.  By the way objectivity tends to be remarkably subjective when you inject massive bias. So they say anyway. :-)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The :efef77eaf5: on your shoulder - buy the 100-volt Nikola Plus. Incredible range and we've already been through all the typical birthing troubles. Absolutely phenomenal riding.

I just bought a 100v Nikola from @Jason McNeil and it will be here today 😱 no more Monster for me @houseofjob

although maybe in the future with the v4.... 😄 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I just bought a 100v Nikola from @Jason McNeil and it will be here today 😱 no more Monster for me @houseofjob

Congrat's :cheers:

Now don't go killing yourself ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, houseofjob said:

IMHO what i think you refer to are the tire dynamics. I always say that the ride and how you handle the wheel is more heavily affected by tire widths, not tire diameter, so the old "14/16 is more maneuverable than 18" that most retort is BS, because what they're really saying is "2.125" (14/16 diameter) wide is more maneuverable than 2.5" wide (18 diameter)", since those were the only tire options years back on EUC. 

I think you are right about this. I’ve been pondering the same. That’s why I’m interested to read reports on the Nikola and 16X. This new size could be a breakthrough. 

I’ve had the luxury of testing side by side stock 16S and modded 16S with 16x2.5 tire. Totally different! 

• Upvote 3

Everyone should enjoy their wheel (so long as it works, which is a prerequisite), and not stress over whether it's the ultimate or not.

We should all strive to be "satisficers", not "maximizers". That is if we are at all interested in being happy.

https://youtu.be/9FshTCGZy-A

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Everyone should enjoy their wheel (so long as it works, which is a prerequisite), and not stress over whether it's the ultimate or not.

We should all strive to be "satisficers", not "maximizers". That is if we are at all interested in being happy.

https://youtu.be/9FshTCGZy-A

What this doesn’t mention is that maximizers are often much more successful in life than satisficers. Basically complacency vs ambition

Being happy vs being successful. Achieving one very often doesn’t mean having the other.

i know I am a maximizer for sure and probably depressed with my life that’s why I ride EUC’s to cheer me up 😄😄

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wheelr said:

Yeap, just look at the origin of this very thread, lots of fanboys butt-hurt about mentioning the Nikola on the ks16x thread  🤷🏻‍♂️

I hope you don't talking about me? If so, you had missed something :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

What this doesn’t mention is that maximizers are much more successful in life than satisficers. Basically complacent people vs ambitious. 

Being happy vs being successful. Achieving one very often doesn’t mean having the other.

i know I am a maximizer for sure and probably depressed with my life that’s why I ride EUC’s to cheer me up 😄😄

Given this life ain't a dress rehearsal, if we're chasing success at the cost of happiness, we're doing it wrong.

I'm something of a maximizer by nature, but I'd like to refocus on maximizing my happiness.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I felt that line in my soul, lmao

Watching this thread from the outside has been interesting. From all the different stiff perspectives, to the people getting hurt and so on. All whilst saving for a wheel no ones even talking about, haha. I feel that passion though. Riding makes me happier than anything, so I totally understand once you start to collect wheels and really dive into how they work how this can get deep. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, buell47 said:
11 hours ago, wheelr said:

Yeap, just look at the origin of this very thread, lots of fanboys butt-hurt about mentioning the Nikola on the ks16x thread  🤷🏻‍♂️

I hope you don't talking about me? If so, you had missed something :rolleyes:

In Sweden we have a saying "om du känner dig träffad" which translates directly to "if you feel hit/qualified" for the statement.
Like if I wrote "maybe you guys should start thinking about losing that 50 lbs extra weight instead of thinking what your next body armour should be".
I don't mean the skinny guys.

4 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

What this doesn’t mention is that maximizers are often much more successful in life than satisficers. Basically complacency vs ambition

At least when we are on the wheel we finally find balance. :roflmao:
Unless we find something to complain about while riding.

3 hours ago, seage said:

I felt that line in my soul, lmao

Same here. Right in the soul. Hence my sabbatical. I need to sort this out and find a middle ground.
Ambition is one thing, nothing being good enough is another.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Speak for yourself.

I am more of a Coke connoisseur. Bottle vs can, dispenser machine vs directly from the factory. Light vs Zero, caffeinated vs not, Pepsi vs Coca Cola ....

I was actually seeing much of this discussion as a Pepsi vs Coke thing rather than a wine connoisseur thing. Then we have all other types of cola as well. They are all on the market.
Usually if we have a fridge full of Coke we won't go buy Pepsi but rather Fanta Orange. I wouldn't drink a glass of Pepsi and say WOW I COULD REALLY GO FOR A TAB COLA. TAB! :clap3:

This brings us to the wheels and their feels, or tastes. We have the new breed of wheel, the 16 inch (17" diameter) wheels that weigh 25kg and have 3" wide tyres.
They will feel predominantly as they should in accordance to their physical dimensions, tyre dimensions, pedal height, pedal angle and then we have the motor, tuning, power, etc.

Previously we have only had the Nikola and now we have the 16X. So we can choose which kind of fizzy cola drink we want.

Nikola 100v is faster. We still don't know about the 5 beeps though. Will it have more range than the 16X? Probably very similar.
Which one is the more elegant ride? Which one climbs hills better? Which one has better leverage? Which one is more comfortable? Which one has better lights? Which one has better speakers? Which one is more sturdy and dependable? Which one is more water resistant?

Even though the 16X is out now there are so many problems with it that we can't even make a fair assessment. But we can discuss what we know. Which is what we should be doing.

My interests: Headphones, speakers, weightlifting, calisthenics, computers. All things that can be done right or wrong. Or my way.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Nikola 100v is faster. We still don't know about the 5 beeps though. Will it have more range than the 16X? Probably very similar.

I plan on doing a speed test today after I charge it. Will report back later 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

No squatting while riding this time please! Remember what happened when you speed tested your MSX. :efeeec645d:
On the other hand you've probably learned to ride squatting by now. :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

:lol::lol: 🙌🙌

Definitely interested on your thoughts for the Nik+.

We have quite a few guys in NYC now who have the Monster-Nikola 100V combo. I think that needs to extend to VA 🤠

5 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I’ve had the luxury of testing side by side stock 16S and modded 16S with 16x2.5 tire. Totally different! 

Ooh, interesting! What was the exact difference between the 2?

40 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

One of our lighter weight riders did ~39.8 mph wheellog speed I believe on his Nik+ (forgot if he said it beeped)

33 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d42ca216779394f55

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My friend just received his 100v 1845Wh Nikola. Sadly he is working today and has other business to take care of. Tomorrow we ride.

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

One of our lighter weight riders did ~39.8 mph wheellog speed I believe on his Nik+ (forgot if he said it beeped)

That must have been something. If the MSX 100V beeps at 69kmh i'm pretty sure the Nik+ would beep at 64.
But you never know. That's a scary speed...

tenor.gif?itemid=5420636

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1