KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

1 hour ago, Daniel-Son said:

How is it that @Mike Sacristan a week ago decided to get a 16X and it arrives a few days later? And you preordered yours months ago and it still hasn’t arrived yet. A true example of “life isn’t fair sometimes”. I think your next purchase should be where Mike gets his wheels. 

Well the short answer I ordered from Poland shipped from China to Poland by train. Dealer says it got stuck in customs handling.... 

Mike got it from a dealer that when he placed the order it was already through the EU customs. On top if that Mike's dealer seem to use a faster shipping service. 

Hopefully mine will be shipped during Monday, dealer states availability from 26th. Well shall see. Only comfort is I got mine at a pre-order price about 1800ish €. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Yeah but the problem is once the fire starts you won't be able to:

- move the wheel outside

- extinguish it

So I would say that a smoke detector will help you as much as babysitting it. Once it goes in flames it's too late to do anything. You can't extinguish a Lithium fire. You can only contain it and wait for the reaction to finish.

4 hours ago, Tadas said:

Call emergency services and pour water on the wheel.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Yeah but the problem is once the fire starts you won't be able to:

- move the wheel outside

- extinguish it

So I would say that a smoke detector will help you as much as babysitting it. Once it goes in flames it's too late to do anything. You can't extinguish a Lithium fire. You can only contain it and wait for the reaction to finish.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

Simple Guidelines for Using Lithium-ion Batteries

• A failing Li-ion begins to hiss, bulge and leak electrolyte.
  • The electrolyte consists of lithium salt in an organic solvent (lithium hexafluorophosphate) and is highly flammable. Burning electrolyte can ignite combustible material in close proximity.
  • Dowse Li-ion fire with water or use a regular fire extinguisher. Only use a Class D fire extinguisher for lithium-metal fires because of the reaction of water with lithium. (Li-ion contains little lithium metal reacting with water.) 
  • If a Class D extinguisher is not available, douse a lithium-metal fire with water to prevent the fire from spreading.
  • For best results dowsing a Li-ion fire, use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate) as you would extinguish other combustible fires. Reserve the Class D extinguishers for lithium-metal fires only.
  • If the fire of a burning lithium-ion battery cannot be extinguished, allow the pack to burn in a controlled and safe way.
  • Be aware of cell propagation as each cell might be consumed on its own time table when hot. Place a seemingly burned-out pack outside for a time.
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

So Piinky is having issues with his beard new KS16x - anyone seen anything like this?: 

I think is was similar with first batch 18L. Kind sounds similar. So to the questions... 

Did it have a hard tumble recently? 

I suggest to check for cracks in structure and if control board is secured (not loose) and the motor is tight on the structure too. 

That pretty much sums up what have been posted on other KS wheel as I have seen. 

If you can't spot any of the above, I would suggest service. I wouldn't ride it before a cause is found. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

So Piinky is having issues with his beard new KS16x - anyone seen anything like this?: 

Those are classic symptoms of either a loose control board or loose pedals hangers (where they attach to the shell.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Those are classic symptoms of either a loose control board or loose pedals hangers (where they attach to the shell.

How do you think it happened? That wheel doesn’t look like it wiped out. I’d be a little upset if it’s a quality control issue. 

8 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

How do you think it happened? That wheel doesn’t look like it wiped out. I’d be a little upset if it’s a quality control issue. 

This don't have to be qc issue. Things comes loose if it vibrates long enough. 

And being how we ride EUC any time the wheels goes tumbling who knows what happens. 

I rode my KS18L not knowing the pins that you tighten the covers pieces to the structure had broken for like 5 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I happen to know that this is his first wheel and he hasn't even ridden it yet.

The is a quality control issue from KingSong, which is surprising since they make the highest quality wheels known to man ;)

It just came from the factory this way. One of my previous KingSong wheels, right out of the box, had a loose screw rattling around inside the shell.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

This don't have to be qc issue. Things comes loose if it vibrates long enough. 

And being how we ride EUC any time the wheels goes tumbling who knows what happens. 

I rode my KS18L not knowing the pins that you tighten the covers pieces to the structure had broken for like 5 months. 

It doesn't have to me, but in this case it is. Piinky has never ridden an EUC before and certainly hasn't ridden his 16X yet.

I just came back from my first ride with 1.05 firmware (I was away on vacation with the family for a week and just got home).

First thing, my pedal float got a lot worse. After the BT firmware update, I was very rarelt getting random pedal tilt, so long as I didn't play music. Now my petals seem to be changing posture pretty much all the time. I tried horizontal gyro calibration twice.

On a positive notr, I tried a very steep hill. Previously, it was hard work to get up it. With 1.05 it was easy. Nice improvement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I just came back from my first ride with 1.05 firmware (I was away on vacation with the family for a week and just got home).

First thing, my pedal float got a lot worse. After the BT firmware update, I was very rarelt getting random pedal tilt, so long as I didn't play music. Now my petals seem to be changing posture pretty much all the time. I tried horizontal gyro calibration twice.

On a positive notr, I tried a very steep hill. Previously, it was hard work to get up it. With 1.05 it was easy. Nice improvement.

I wonder if there could be a hardware issue with your wheel. If it was strictly firmware then everyone would be experiencing the same thing (are they?).

Don't let this go too long before claiming warranty service for your new (expensive) wheel.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder if there could be a hardware issue with your wheel. If it was strictly firmware then everyone would be experiencing the same thing (are they?).

Don't let this go too long before claiming warranty service for your new (expensive) wheel.

I’m not. Nothing changed with the new firmware other than the brake lights blinking while it’s being charged. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

There certainly seems to be a hardware dependency with this issue, but that's not surprising. People tend to think of EMI as being a black and white issue, but hardware variations can have a significant impact.

I've just e-mailed Jason to see if KS is still working on this issue.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I've still got the Peddle Tilt on mine post 1.05 and post BT fix.   Mostly it's minor 1-2 degrees, but I have had one occasion where it did the 15 degree tilt for about 5 seconds as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have all our PEV's in near the front door/dining room area. I usually charge in the morning but have done it over night. I am not too concerned because I have 15+ sprinklers in my apartment that would quickly go off if the wall (which is also concrete) some how caught on fire.

Ive put 58 miles on my 16x since Saturday morning and am pretty in enamored with the wheel. It is not near as large as I thought it would be. I am currently riding about 30 psi.

IMG_2604.JPG

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

I've still got the Peddle Tilt on mine post 1.05 and post BT fix.   Mostly it's minor 1-2 degrees, but I have had one occasion where it did the 15 degree tilt for about 5 seconds as well. 

really hope this is not a generic problem with the 16X. My Z10 does this periodically and is the one issue that I hate. I absolutely will not get the 16X if this isn't fully resolved because it ruins the riding experience. Our wheels need to feel absolutely reliable and predictable all of the time.

Ninebot never did anything (I think because it's a hardware problem related to their source components). Lets hope it's not a hardware design issue.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1