KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

13 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

OMG yes! I'm so ready to pre-order, airdrop and overnight the 16XL right now.

The 16X platform is too comfortable, and I find myself cruising near max speed, and bam, I've run out of juice in less than 3 hours.

The 16XL with 150 mile range is a full day of leisurely riding! Double the range for only $300 more?! Sign me up!!!

I think the XL is just a miss type there's no difference in specs what i can see over the 16X

7 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

I've had no issues going 45 kmh at 22% battery. Besides pedal dipping becoming much easier at low battery of course.

The KS16X does ease you into 35 kmh. You can read about that effect in my wheelogs.

Yes, with Firmware 1.0.5, but probably not with 1.0.6, or? 

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

That’s not how it works. The top speed limit will decrease incrementally. Meaning that at 49% battery the top speed will be about 49km/h, 40% = ~41km/h, 30% = ~33km/h, 15% and below = 25km/h.

If it were, it'd still be bearable. But the way they wrote it could also be interpreted differently.

But why now suddenly from 50%? In the beginning they said, that from 25% a throttling takes place.

4 hours ago, Garrie Lim said:

The real question we should be asking is why Kingsong released the update quietly, an approach very different from their previous firmware updates. 

Throttling of speed at certain percentages or voltages could mean something serious with software or the whole system.

I am beginning to suspect that the battery does not have enough power to handle the new engine after 50%. The easy overlean (pedal dip) is already a sign, isn't it? 

If I'm right, I can understand why the update comes so secretly, because this problem cannot be fixed with a firmware fix. The battery would have to be matched to the new motor.

Even if the KS 16 XL is probably a typo, this will probably be the solution and won't be long in coming.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Yes, with Firmware 1.0.5, but probably not with 1.0.6, or? 

If it were, it'd still be bearable. But the way they wrote it could also be interpreted differently.

But why now suddenly from 50%? In the beginning they said, that from 25% a throttling takes place.

I am beginning to suspect that the battery does not have enough power to handle the new engine after 50%. The easy overlean (pedal dip) is already a sign, isn't it? 

If I'm right, I can understand why the update comes so secretly, because this problem cannot be fixed with a firmware fix. The battery would have to be matched to the new motor.

Even if the KS 16 XL is probably a typo, this will probably be the solution and won't be long in coming.

LG MJ1 are good cells. We use them for our escooters here in Singapore and they dun give any issues. 

It just worries me how the firmware was released quietly, and how up till now kingsong hasn’t said a word about it. Usually you would want people to know you created an update to make something better, but this time they are just keeping mum. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Garrie Lim said:

I never would have bought the 16X if this was the case @  50% I thought after the rave reviews the 18XL got on range and not throttle back until 25% i was on to a winner 

Time will tell but will keep with 1.05 firmware  till an explanation from KS is released

MFs 🤬🤬🤬😡

Edited by Gaz Bon

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

That’s not how it works. The top speed limit will decrease incrementally. Meaning that at 49% battery the top speed will be about 49km/h, 40% = ~41km/h, 30% = ~33km/h, 15% and below = 25km/h.

:efefc8626c: you are right, but why now back to 50% from 25% (throttling start)? 

Yes, I know...safety....but why they're going back to 50%

SmartSelect_20190831-100253_Facebook.jpg

Edited by buell47

7 minutes ago, buell47 said:

:efefc8626c: you are right, but why now back to 50% from 25% (throttling start)? 

Hope so it in cancelling my order 

16 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I had to google “traduction” to find out what it meant. 

But it still doesnt make sense, 25kph is minimum speed before low battery tilt back????

12 minutes ago, Garrie Lim said:

But it still doesnt make sense, 25kph is minimum speed before low battery tilt back????

Maybe they mean it that way? 

SmartSelect_20190831-103621_Samsung Notes.jpg

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Garrie Lim said:

I had to google “traduction” to find out what it meant. 

I read that as below 25kmh there is no need for low battery tilt back. As in they have enough surplus to maintain this unless steep hills and current warning, so that would still not be low battery tilt back as such.

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I read that as below 25kmh there is no need for low battery tilt back. As in they have enough surplus to maintain this unless steep hills and current warning, so that would still not be low battery tilt back as such.

Hopefully that is true... 

Boy Kingsong sure needs someone to revamp their manual and app, instead on relying on translations. Sometimes it’s so hard to understand what they are trying to say. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Garrie Lim said:

Hopefully that is true... 

Boy Kingsong sure needs someone to revamp their manual and app, instead on relying on translations. Sometimes it’s so hard to understand what they are trying to say. 

yep, I think they would benefit as lot to use people outside china for proof reading/translation stuff.

I also dream of them  having their non domestic web services and app hosted outside the great chine firewall so we don't the server not available,  instability and slow downloads for FW updates. Hopefully @US69or @Micheal Shen can shed some light about the 1.06 fw update. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Maybe they mean it that way? 

SmartSelect_20190831-103621_Samsung Notes.jpg

In original specifications it stated that speed reduction didn't happen until 25% battery and it lowers linear. This was also confirmed long time back, by @US69 in this very thread.

I serious doubt they changed that. 

1 minute ago, buell47 said:

Yes I know, that's what I'm talking about. But if nothing has changed, what they have meant with point 8 in the Firmware 1.0.6 changelog? 

I don't hold that answer right now beside that is why I tagged @Micheal Shen and @US69 to hopefully clarify this...

• Like 1

Oooo. The tone in this thread took a shift. This is interesting to watch from the outside. Hope everything gets fixed with your wheels tho. I know how frustrating it is to have a wheel that's just not performing how it's supposed to. 

38 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys, I've tested out the 1.06 firmware for you !
I was very worried after readigng some posts about bugs in firmware updating, someone reported that the 1.06 made the pedals dip back & forth...I'm not sure if he calibrated the EUC again, but you MUST do it after every update, I tried to ride without from 1.01 to 1.05 and it did dip forwards and backwards randomly.

I've tried low & high speeds (up to 45kph). It behaves no different than with the 1.05 firmware, I report that there is no oscillation or back & forth movement at high speeds, not even a little ! However it did add some useful features, such as the possibility to select "low beam" light rather than "high beam" that used to blind upcoming trafic. Also in "auto light mode" it's by default in low beam.

Regarding the "25kph under 74v", I've ridden it at 73.2V and top speed was more than 34kph ! I understand that the 25kph is just the minimal speed before the low battery tiltback, so don't worry about it.

The most important feature to me was the 88% power output alarm, that sounds just like the 3rd speed alarm (4 beeps). I think I may have heard it but not sure !
For me it also stopped the back red lights from blinking while charging (I must say that I disabled the leds while riding so not sure if it'll work if you keep them enabled, but before the update even when disabled, these lights still blinked while charging).

From my testing, it seems like the 1.06 is the 1.05 with new features and fixed some small bugs left (high speed oscillation, ligh bug)?

Thanks for this @Pingouin, altogether do you like and recommend this wheel?  

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

I'm happy to report that I've ridden it at 73.2V and top speed was more than 34kph ! I

Was the speed limit 35, 36,...40 oder 45 kph until tilt back starts? :lol:

On the next test ride please make a chart at every 1% battery steps from 74V down to 63V. :laughbounce2:

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys, I've tested out the 1.06 firmware for you !

I was very worried after reading some posts about bugs in firmware updating, someone reported that the 1.06 made the pedals dip back & forth...I'm not sure if he calibrated the EUC again, but you MUST do it after every update, I tried to ride without calibrating after updating from 1.01 to 1.05 and it did dip forwards and backwards randomly.

I've tried low & high speeds (up to 45kph). It behaves no different than with the 1.05 firmware, I report that there is no oscillation or back & forth movement at high speeds, not even a little ! Besides that it did add some useful features, such as the possibility to select "low beam" light rather than "high beam" that used to blind upcoming trafic. Also in "auto light mode" it's by default in low beam.

Regarding the "25kph under 74v" that worried a buch of riders (me included), I'm happy to report that I've ridden it at 73.2V and top speed was more than 34kph ! I understand that the 25kph is just the minimal speed before the low battery tiltback, so don't worry about it.

The most important feature to me was the 88% power output alarm, that sounds just like the 3rd speed alarm (4 beeps). I think I may have heard it but not sure !
It also stopped the back red lights from blinking while charging (I must say that I disabled the leds while riding so not sure if it'll work if you keep them enabled, but before the update even when disabled, these lights still blinked while charging).

From my testing, it seems like the 1.06 is the 1.05 with new features and fixed some small bugs left (high speed oscillation, light bug).

You were very worried? 

I updated and everything is fine. I didn’t even calibrate it. I suppose I should but I didn’t. 1.06 fixed the low speed noise my 16X was having.  Everything else is fine 

• Like 1

Speed reducing starts on 74 Volt and goes down in incremental/ proportional steps to the end of 61 Volt.

Means at 61Volt—empty- the speed is reduced to 25kmh.

I didn’t do the math...but at 70Volts it is about 45kmh...at 66Volt about 35kmh (66Volt would be empty on a GW)....64Volt about 30kmh....and at empty 61Volt at 25kmh....

I'm sure @US69 has more info

• Like 2