MSX customizations-sharewhat you’ve done

On 5/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, stephen said:

Nikola pedals😊

IMG-20190501-101200.jpg
IMG-20190501-100536.jpg
IMG-20190501-092859.jpg
IMG-20190501-100526.jpg
IMG-20190501-100639.jpg

OK I got my Nikola pedals today and they are definitely night and day in terms of control. Feels much easier to go faster and carve deeper... Buuuuut... Now they won't stay folded up because they're too big for the original indent on the shell. Any ideas on how to get them to stay up? 

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrRobot said:

OK I got my Nikola pedals today and they are definitely night and day in terms of control. Feels much easier to go faster and carve deeper... Buuuuut... Now they won't stay folded up because they're too big for the original indent on the shell. Any ideas on how to get them to stay up? 

Take the side panels off and move the magnets so they match up with the pedal edge ,  

I ride in soft mode i feel more confident when i lean forward to accelerate if i hit a bump, the extra width is awesome for carving also so much more room , this is the size of the pedals i like and should of been standard ,my msx just got better 😊

Speed, control, carving, braking, stable and grip 👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

I'm sorry, guys, for this question, but I'm not an English native speakers and occasionally experience just a language problem. So, what exactly do you mean by "carving", please?

”Carving” means doing long, mild turns at speed. Usually refers to doing so on pavement. It gives you a feeling that probably resembles that of a fast downhill alpine skiier.

1 hour ago, szaroczek said:

I'm sorry, guys, for this question, but I'm not an English native speakers and occasionally experience just a language problem. So, what exactly do you mean by "carving", please?

Carving😊

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sbouju said:

On mine, some recycling of past MSuper2 DIY for a MSX luggage rack :)

photo_2019-05-22_14-55-59.jpg

Genius 👍,, protection,,a carrier,, and a seat ,, love it 😊

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 5:38 AM, Jack Frost said:

Okay let’s face it... for us hard core riders out there it’s been a fight between the MSX and the Z10 though personally I think it’s a superior wheel even without the detailed experience of the z10 I’ve had to make quite a few customizations to my wheel.

share what you’ve done and perhaps it would inspire me and others!

Here’s a list of things I’ve done:

1. Put ACM padding on my MSX

2.lowered pedal angles 

3.outdoor hiking light mounted by Velcro 

4.el wire(three strips u see in the pic) to be visible from the side 

5. Mud guard

6. Slime into inner tube 

7.put more grip tape as the ones on the pedal were wearing out. 

A56AA0E6-32F2-4479-B2AE-AE5BB7297E1C.thumb.jpeg.4313ec860adbb32b07df4c92fd71871b.jpeg

Hello have you photo of your MSX with tesla pedal ? They are good with magnet ? thanks !

New fender, I had one made out of corrugated plastic but it was too stiff.  This one is made from one of those cheap thin plastic binders.  It's an ideal material for this actually.  Easy to cut to shape.  I then creased it in the middle and attached it with hot glue.

XVXKG9Fd22157zupLgdrXczBMsUk39nqKg6Jc_9r

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, QLam56 said:

Replaced the USB port with an lift/motor stop switch (thanks @houseofjobfor posting this info on FB) and thanks to @SuperSport for his fender parking stand and pedal pushers, + custom pads & plastidip pedals.

Hey I have a question for you about this - does the SW on the control board handle this button properly?  IE if the wheel is in motion and you press the button does it shut off, or does it behave like the power button where it won't shut off unless it is below a certain speed?  I am thinking about doing this mod and want to be sure I won't experience any unwanted cut offs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xoltri said:

Hey I have a question for you about this - does the SW on the control board handle this button properly?  IE if the wheel is in motion and you press the button does it shut off, or does it behave like the power button where it won't shut off unless it is below a certain speed?  I am thinking about doing this mod and want to be sure I won't experience any unwanted cut offs.

Yes, it's working properly. The button doesn't deactivate the motor if the wheel is in motion. Definitely a mod worth doing since it's so easy and cheap! 

15 minutes ago, QLam56 said:

Yes, it's working properly. The button doesn't deactivate the motor if the wheel is in motion. Definitely a mod worth doing since it's so easy and cheap! 

Thanks, yeah seems easy, I think I will do this mod.

1 hour ago, Hansolo said:

the feature is managed by the motherboard, stopping the motor by pressing the button only works when stopped. By rolling it has no action.

Can you tell me which switch you purchased?  I like the idea of it under the handle.

If the switch is deactivated if You press this button while wheel is rotating (with ground speed 3km and above) - this seems  to be working fine, 

Question is - why having this feature ready Gotway in fact did not use it yet on the wheels? 

Edited by Lukasz

15 hours ago, Lukasz said:

If the switch is deactivated if You press this button while wheel is rotating (with ground speed 3km and above) - this seems  to be working fine, 

Question is - why having this feature ready Gotway in fact did not use it yet on the wheels? 

Maybe it had to do with patent law - I believe that's the reason Kingsong used a pressure sensor in their wheels instead of a button.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted a way to protect my new MSX for trail riding in the mountains.  Ideally, if there was a cover that could be easily pulled on/off like there is for the Inmotion series (V5/V8/V10).  If there was such a cover, I would put it on only for trail riding, then take it off for daily use.

The best I could come up with is usage of 2mm foam, plus vinyl wrap (heat shrink).  So here’s the mods I’ve done so far:

1. Glued foam on the bottom of my pedals.  Since the pedals is a contact point when the wheel falls. 
  2. Vinyl wrapped the pedals to cover the foam.  Note I left exposed metal so the vinyl will stick to these areas.  If the vinyl scratches or tears, it can easily be replaced.
  3. I cut out 2mm foam and glued it to the area where the pedals contact the side of the wheel when the pedals are up.  This is also the area that my shoe and ankle rub
  4. I vinyl wrapped the trolley handle.  Normally, it is flat black and prone to sun fade.
  5. I also put small bits of vinyl wrap covering the deep holes where the screws reside.  This is for aesthetics only.
  6. Vinyl wrapped the on/off switch.  I was riding with a friend on a Z10 in the rain and his switch failed to turn off after that ride.  He took it apart and saw water in it.
  7. Made a fender from a foil tray (turkey tray, lasagna tray, etc).  I stuck it on using 2 sided foam tape and used Vinyl wrap to make it match in color.  The foil is very pliable and keeps the desired angle, but it’s too “crinkly”.  The first one I did was with card board, but that would not retain the angle. 

Planned to do next:

1. Put strips of vinyl wrap over the seam of the side cover to make it more water tight.  I will also cover the small screw holes while I am doing this.  This method is a lot easier than what EUC guy did (took it apart, applied silicon everywhere).  I will do the same at over other seams of the shell
  2. Cut more foam to fit the entire sides, front and back of the wheel.  Use temporary 2-sided sticky pads to stick the foam to cover the wheel for trail rides, then remove it when done.  Re-stick it back on as needed for future rides.
  3. Make a version 3 of the fender with a combination of foil plus a plastic cup.  The foil will be the part that attaches to the wheel (via 2 sided foam tape) and will create the angle for the plastic cup to stick onto.  All will then be covered with Vinyl wrap.  This hybrid approach should fix the issues I had with retaining angle/shape and not getting wrinkled after it is crushed out of shape.
  4. buy a proper fender from EUC guy whenever he gets them back in stock :), then vinyl wrap it.

I’d like an alternative to step 8 that’s easier to put on/take off, but cannot think of one.

20190527_114344.jpg

20190525_225921.jpg

20190525_221515.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, mrelwood said:

- Lowered the dihedral pedal angle

- Angled sidepads (front and back)

- Bigfoot Pedal Extensions with shock absorbers (blocks of silicone under the rear end)

- Replaced the LED core for better light spread

- Gooped the tire

- Installed a purchased GW mud flap

- Electronics: Glued down the large caps properly, added solder to the cap legs and a few Mosfet connections

To do: Re-position the beeper under the power button. Water proofing.

how did you install the GW mud flap? Mine came without any screws and I'm not sure how to install it properly on the 1st try

33 minutes ago, chulander said:

how did you install the GW mud flap? Mine came without any screws and I'm not sure how to install it properly on the 1st try

The rubber GW mudflap has a ridge on it that makes positioning easy.

• First get some suitable screws. I used ones meant for attaching an electric guitar scratchplate (3x12mm wood thread), as I have plenty, and the black lense top looks nice.
  • Position the mudflap by hand, and hold it in place.
  • Drill the holes to the wheel through the mudflap screw holes. Use the size of the screw core. Be sure not to sink in too deep when the drill bit gets through the plastic!
  • Screw the screws on, but just tight enough to deform the rubber only slightly. Done!

On 6/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, mrelwood said:

The rubber GW mudflap has a ridge on it that makes positioning easy.

• First get some suitable screws. I used ones meant for attaching an electric guitar scratchplate (3x12mm wood thread), as I have plenty, and the black lense top looks nice.
  • Position the mudflap by hand, and hold it in place.
  • Drill the holes to the wheel through the mudflap screw holes. Use the size of the screw core. Be sure not to sink in too deep when the drill bit gets through the plastic!
  • Screw the screws on, but just tight enough to deform the rubber only slightly. Done!

Thanks for the tips, what do u mean by “use the size of the screw core”? I’m quite illiterate with tools like grandparents with a computer

thanks again