MSX customizations-sharewhat you’ve done

Looks business! I like it! @Gaz Bon, how did you trim the edges? I’ve been considering doing the same so my H-666 wouldn’t scrape when one-legging.

Also, do you get the 35km/h tilt-back I got with my knobby tire? The kind that if you push to 40km/h it goes away?

Edited by mrelwood

mrelwood i trimmed the tire with just a flapper disc on my grinder 

Used mask, glasses and ear plugs and just removed a little at a time and it took some time too 

As for the alarms dident notice any will check tomorrow 

I also ordered the H666 tire yr running ,from same supplier still a month away

Edited by Gaz Bon
  • Like 1

So the Shinko tire worked a treat today on the local MTB tracks 

Goes through deeper gravel and sand a treat 

Even getting used to the tarmac riding 

Running about 25 psi 

Defo upgrade for off roading 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:27 PM, mrelwood said:

It might be a perspective thing, but the other pedal looks as if it has a lot steeper dihedral angle. By default my MSX had 13 and 15 degree angles. I would measure the angles to make sure you are not riding lopsided.

So just to check, they are Nikola pedals connected to MSX without and modification?

All dimensions are the same?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rebelcloud said:

So just to check, they are Nikola pedals connected to MSX without and modification?

The 13 and 15 degree angles were measured from my original MSX pedals before any modifications. I don’t plan on trying the Nikola pedals, since I have modified my pedals with very large custom footplates that I’m very happy with.

• Like 1

After I upgraded the trolley handlee I decided to upgrade the lights to brighter versions. To be seen better in the night..... All solar powered and not needing to touch any buttons just leave it to charge and leave it to turn on, simple...

Edited by Number1stunner
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, mrelwood said:

~200km tire review - Chaoyang H-666, 18x3.0"

3721314_2019-05-0410_28_20S.jpg.18d5512e913cf1274edd508623a0c336.jpg

Now that I have a few weeks down with the new tire, I feel like I can give a proper review. For more photos, scroll a few posts back up.

Size

Despite the same "18x3.0" designation, the H-666 is 0.2" wider than the original, leaving just 0.1" for clearance per side. Pinecones and the rare few pebbles that have gotten dragged in make more noise, but haven't affected the riding otherwise. Before aligning the shell the right side of the tire would scrape on the shell as soon as I put more weight on the right foot, but loosening the shell-to-pedal bracket screws (6 per side) and aligning the tire to the center of the wheel well helped some. Will do the alignment again, since it can still touch during one-legged takeoff.

Riding properties

Despite being wider, the H-666 has less tendency to stay upright during a turn. The original tire was pretty worn after 5000km, but I think even when new the original did force the wheel upright more. The difference is not huge but easily noticeable, and I consider the change to be a good one since turning at high speed takes less effort this way. I don't hear or feel additional noises or vibrations on any surface. At first I thought that the H-666 was more comfortable in taking bumps, but I'm not sure anymore. Could be that the newly pumped tire pressure settled to a lower value causing a more comfy feel. Then again, I don't feel the same little wobbly bouncing that I used to when riding down curbs or hitting larger cracks on pavement.

What is phenomenal is the H-666's directionality when transitioning from one surface to another. Pavement to gravel, and even onto soft fine gravel is no problem, the change in behaviour is unnaturally tiny.

When twisting the MSX on pavement, the H-666 turns a good bit better than the original did. The original stuck to the pavement and was very hard to turn by twisting.

Grip

The original H-5102 tire was bad at mud, wet moss, wet grass and other challenging conditions, even when new. When worn, it got dangerous. The few muddy spots I rode while the snow was melting this spring were extremely unstable despite riding at less than walking speed. I realized that I had put off off-roading several times because of the tire. And whenever I saw anything wet, I slowed down to a crawl. It was stressful.

The grip on the H-666 is magnificent on every surface, wet or dry! It is not a knobby tire, so wet mud is still slippery, but in a very predictable manner. I'm no longer afraid of the muddy spots! When trying a very steep climb onto a cliff that I struggle with even under dry conditions, the wheel lost it's grip and ability to balance very slowly and gracefully. Then I just calmly stepped off without the slightest bit of drama. Turned out the tire had been skidding on and throwing back wet moss for a good few meters. Even crossing tough 10" deep muddy ruts has been surprisingly succesful so far.

Combined with the astonishing directionality, the magnificent grip and the ability to carve better has made me ride 90° turns way faster than I've ever done. On pavement, fine gravel, and even on large loose gravel. It is an exciting new experience, to ride tight turns on bike paths at speeds that used to be unimaginable. It's humorous how quickly the turn is done!

Milage (92kg rider + gear)

Unfortunately I didn't gather any data during the tire change. The 1600Wh MSX range has started to bother me a bit this spring, but then again I ride and accelerate quite a bit faster than I used to, and I ride more off-road. Both even more now that the H-666 enables me to do so. Today I got the first beeps already at 40km on a very steep incline, when I had ridden only off-road and hilly dirt pathways and shaky gravel cycleways, all of which are very battery consuming. I finished the trip at 55km, down to 12% battery left. I will try to restrain myself to do a full range test on pavement...

65km was my record from a local EUC meet last year, and I did reach 64km (17% battery) at this year's first meet on monday. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the battery state from last year. I think it's safe to say that if there is a difference in range, it is not huge.

Last year I settled to 2.7 bars on the original, although this spring anything above 2.5 felt like too much. I was able to improve the shock absorbers under my DIY bigfoot pedal plates, so I've been running the H-666 at 2.7 - 2.8 bars as well.

Conclusion

The H-666 is a stellar upgrade in every imaginable measure to even a new original H-5102 MSX tire. Unfortunately the larger size may be problematic if your rim doesn't run true, or if the shell is off center and can't be re-aligned to center properly. If those are non-issues, the installation is pretty straightforward when lubed properly, and the reward is a wheel that can be pushed more under all, and way more under most circumstances. I really like this tire a lot, and damn I love my wheel now!

I paid ~50€ for mine to seller "Kingstar-cn" at Ebay, who was kind enough to confirm twice that I would indeed get the correct tire, unlike all my past experiences from Chinese tire sellers. Unfortunately the seller doesn't have any items on Ebay at the moment, but I would still ask the seller directly, in case you can't find another reliable seller for the Chaoyang H-666 in 18x3.0".

Warning! 18x3.0" is the correct size, while 3.0-18 would be a motorcycle tire for a lot larger rim. Make sure you purchase a 18x3.0 (bicycle standard), NOT 3.0-18 (motorcycle standard)! A motorcycle size that fits is 2.50-14, and also some 2.75-14 models.

Thought I'd order one as I've got nearly 3000 miles on my MSX and winter coming up, i also messaged the seller and he sent me picture of the correct one 👍 now i just have to wait 😊

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, stephen said:

Thought I'd order one as I've got nearly 3000 miles on my MSX and winter coming up, i also messaged the seller and he sent me picture of the correct one 👍 now i just have to wait 😊

Hopefully you won’t be punished with shell-scratching too much.

After making my MSX tubeless, I wasn’t able to center the tire as well as before. Therefore I’m in the process of carefully grinding the sharp edge of the tire flat(ter). So far so good, the other side no longer rubs when mounting.

Edited by mrelwood

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Hopefully you won’t be punished with shell-scratching too much.

After making my MSX tubeless, I wasn’t able to center the tire as well as before. Therefore I’m in the process of carefully grinding the sharp edge of the tire flat(ter). So far so good, the other side no longer rubs when mounting.

Was it severe rubbing or just when turning

5 hours ago, stephen said:

Was it severe rubbing or just when turning

When centered well, it only rubbed if I mounted slowly. When centered badly, it still didn’t rub while riding, unless I was doing strange weight-shift-leans to clear a difficult obstacle off-road. But it always rubbed pretty good when mounting.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

When centered well, it only rubbed if I mounted slowly. When centered badly, it still didn’t rub while riding, unless I was doing strange weight-shift-leans to clear a difficult obstacle off-road. But it always rubbed pretty good when mounting.

Only one way to find out 😊👍

So, grinding the edges of the H-666 was a success. Although, I did have multiple large mental barriers for using power tools on an installed and pressurized tire.

I still did get it to touch the inner shell, but it required some effort. I’d say that the clearance is now comparable to the original.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

So, grinding the edges of the H-666 was a success. Although, I did have multiple large mental barriers for using power tools on an installed and pressurized tire.

I still did get it to touch the inner shell, but it required some effort. I’d say that the clearance is now comparable to the original.

Show us some pics then 😁

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Sure. Too bad I didn’t take any before the surgery.

07-E63-BEA-C0-BA-4-EA3-9-DB0-46-C47-B2-C

6-EE73-D52-F77-F-4-EB5-8929-4197-C4-AF37

Aah! So it's just the little nob tread what was sticking out it's a nice even job 👍 . I've never even changed a tyre 😁 so the msx will probably be my first, what can possibly go wrong🤪 looking forward to the tyre,,i think i used same seller as you how long did it take to arrive

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Aah! So it's just the little nob tread what was sticking out it's a nice even job 👍 .

Exactly. Thank you!

2 hours ago, stephen said:

how long did it take to arrive

Unfortunately I really don’t remember. My current method is to do my best to forget the purchase after payment. Waiting a parcel from China can get so tense...

Not that ”my best” is very much every time, but most times.

• 2 weeks later...

i did a few internal mods on my msx, added a fan (using the usb 5v). improved some mediocre soldering by gotway that caused excessive heating of the motor wires.

the thing about this fan that's great. is its a fan that sucks air in. and pushes it out one direction. its only a 0.19 amp fan. but since it pushes air out the side. i mounted it so that it pushes air directly in between the control board. and heatsink. and thus cooling the mosfets directly. instead of gotways tilted fan that just kinda blows air everywhere.

so far i have measured a temperature decrease of up to 6 celsius from the usual offroad ride. (not scientific) it does feel less warm to the touch. so i will take that as a success. :D 

69987742_662237610927420_5355343194659749888_o

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

@mrelwood do you like how the new tire handles. and what are the differences?

First impressions:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/11484-msx-customizations-sharewhat-you’ve-done/?do=findComment&comment=231218

200km review:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/11484-msx-customizations-sharewhat-you’ve-done/?do=findComment&comment=233781

Although, as I really like what the tire offers, I’m ordering an actual knobby tire to try as well. A few guys use a CST C186 or a similiar Shinko 241 saying that it runs fine on pavement as well. If not, at least I get to try some winter riding as well.

B8D3D167-3EE3-4014-A0EE-57EC4A026385.jpeg.439ffc5b2c1d2f5702b158dad2d7f8ef.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, stephen said:

@mrelwood i received my tyre today for my msx i take it i got the right one?

Yup, that’s the one I have on my MSX, until monday that is... 😉

When installing, pay extra effort to get the tire and shell centered as precisely as possible. Otherwise the tire might drag on the shell.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Yup, that’s the one I have on my MSX, until monday that is... 😉

When installing, pay extra effort to get the tire and shell centered as precisely as possible. Otherwise the tire might drag on the shell.

Why till Monday?

Yeah I'm preparing to make a little adjustment of needed 👍