MSX customizations-sharewhat you’ve done

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

BEA19C58-81B6-46D7-91B2-C4AA24D1161D.jpeg.8559279c8142350d57b1f97a38acf29b.jpeg

Not that the original or the H-666 were puny or anything, but this CST C186 is really massive! And the rubber is extremely soft, this must grip like crazy!

I wasn’t able to get the tire pressurized tubeless, since the ridges inside the rim are next to non-existent, so I had to go back to running tubed.

The tire has some deformations from the shipping, so I wasn’t yet able to center it well enough not to rub during every rotation. Will keep centering as the tire straightens itself up under pressure.

Rode for one minute on the yard, and indeed didn’t notice any shaking from the knobs! Turning at slow speeds is quite different, almost as if it requires more lean like a narrower tire would to turn in a 4 feet circle.

I’m excited! We have a group ride on thursday to tackle some new cliffs, so the tire (and me) gets a true real life test right away.

Wow that is freaking beautiful... It looks like it's climbing a cliff just sitting there.  GREAT job...

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Holy bonkers... I’m kinda losing my $#1+ over this tire. Can’t even really call it a tire, it’s a freaking flying carpet!

So, I centered the tire, but the clearance was next to non-existent on both sides of the rear entrance, so I made the shell more roomy: 2AB479BF-7BB9-44D1-BA6F-8D88AC3F05DA.jpeg.6bab354836efe41339316867c0495c1f.jpeg

Despite a light rain and being pitch black outside, I just had to take it for a ”spin”.

CST C-186 on a 84V MSX - first impressions at 2.5 bars

It sure carves strange. It somehow tilts slowly. When starting to lean into a curve, at first the wheel feels like it wants to stay upright. But then the wheel starts to slowly tilt anyway. After the curve it stays tilted at first and gets back up slowly as well. I’ve never felt anything like it even the slightest. Like the laws of physics suddenly became slow. It might take a while to became famliar.

I first thought that I could feel the increased diameter, as accelerating and braking felt slightly slower, but I’m no longer sure about that. The stability and shock absorbing properties are so incredible that they completely mess my ability to judge the acceleration. I was very familiar with how my MSX feels and accelerates in every single situation, but it is so different now that I’ve lost my points of reference. I still have no trouble accelerating to and stopping from 40km/h, that’s for sure. Braking might even be better due to the incredible stability.

Soft riding mode works very well with this tire. The downsides of the GW soft mode are a lot less emphasized, and the firmware behaviour is somehow in harmony with the tire behaviour. As if the soft mode was made for this tire.

Zero vibration on asphalt. Road noise might be ever so slightly louder.

Starting to understand the tire a bit, I went off-road. First thought after an easy dirt path that used to be slightly lively when wet: ”Was that it?”  I felt nothing.

I decided to take a risk and ride through an abandoned dirt road rich with rocks, ponds, and a medium steep incline. At one point I ended up in a muddy tire groove with a good amount of speed. I was afraid I’d have to bail... but I felt nothing.

Then a lovely cross-country skiing route used for jogging and MTB in the summer. It has a few quite steep sections with pronounced rain ruts and soft sand. I felt nothing.

Later on it hit me: I can no longer feel the surface I’m riding. I can’t even differentiate asphalt from a freaking wet muddy rut! This is absolutely absurd and right on ridiculous, but the wheel now behaves the same no matter the surface.

This kinda actually gets me even a bit worked up. EUC is normally very sensitive to the surface type and inconsistencies. No longer. How is that possible?! Of course I still feel the bumps and cracks, but the tire absorbs so much that I can’t tell if they are bad cracks on pavement or water channels on a dirt path.

This tire absolutely transforms the vehicle class of an EUC. So far nasty trails and muddy maintenance roads have been fun, partly from the immerse concentration required. But now I can just ride literally everywhere.  It’s a totally unfair cheat code for off-road group rides!

You really make me want to do this to my MSX.

Can you expand a bit about the tire fitting. How exactly did you center the tire? You removed the pedal hangers and modified the spacers/washers that Gotway uses?

And then you just used some sandpaper attached to the wheel? Or what exactly are you showing in that tiny low resolution picture?

18 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I did already think that Marty owns himself to give this one a try!

No no, just the regular process of deflate-massage-inflate to make the tire sit straight and run true.

Sorry, I was busy being bonkers while trying to explain... 😜

The clearance was so narrow that the tire would rub when the shell flexed even the slightest. I sanded just the rear opening of the shell a bit by putting coarse sandpaper between the tire and the rear opening of the shell, and while pushing the tire towards the sandpaper I rotated the tire slightly back and forth.

Even the rubber GW mudflap didn’t fit anymore, so I had to make a quick one myself.

But man, what a ride. What a god damn ride.

Thanks. I'm contemplating it. But I do like how the stock tire works. Hmmm.

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I did already think that Marty owns himself to give this one a try!

No no, just the regular process of deflate-massage-inflate to make the tire sit straight and run true.

Sorry, I was busy being bonkers while trying to explain... 😜

The clearance was so narrow that the tire would rub when the shell flexed even the slightest. I sanded just the rear opening of the shell a bit by putting coarse sandpaper between the tire and the rear opening of the shell, and while pushing the tire towards the sandpaper I rotated the tire slightly back and forth.

Even the rubber GW mudflap didn’t fit anymore, so I had to make a quick one myself.

But man, what a ride. What a god damn ride.

Where did you buy yours from? I seem to only find UK stores.

And btw, you're still using the same inner tube?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I seem to only find UK stores.

Uk stores 😁 yes please tell us @mrelwood

I've not even fitted the h-666 yet lol 

@Marty Backe I'm sure this would be perfect for them mountains 👍 if mrelwood is correct you'd fly over all the bumps and be up them hills in no time

@mrelwood link please 😁👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Where did you buy yours from?

A big European car & mc tire seller Delti has multiple identical webshops in pretty much every European country. Funnily none of them ships internationally. But I’m sure the tire can be found from several US mc tire sellers, and likely from Amazon as well. Search for ”C186 2.75-14”, as it is also available branded as the mother company’s name (which I forgot).

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And btw, you're still using the same inner tube?

Yes, I installed the MSX original inner tube.

3 hours ago, stephen said:

I've not even fitted the h-666 yet lol 

The H-666 is a very nice universal replacement to improve on the original. But the C186... man, this is something else. Today I’ll go for a ride while there’s still light out, should give a better perspective than in the dark with a partially melted MSX front light.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A big European car & mc tire seller Delti has multiple identical webshops in pretty much every European country. Funnily none of them ships internationally. But I’m sure the tire can be found from several US mc tire sellers, and likely from Amazon as well. Search for ”C186 2.75-14”, as it is also available branded as the mother company’s name (which I forgot).

Yes, I installed the MSX original inner tube.

The H-666 is a very nice universal replacement to improve on the original. But the C186... man, this is something else. Today I’ll go for a ride while there’s still light out, should give a better perspective than in the dark with a partially melted MSX front light.

Found one on ebay 

SHINKO SR241 SERIES 2.75-14 Front Bias BW Motorcycle Tire 4PR TT

Close enough to try thanks @mrelwood.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Found one on ebay 

SHINKO SR241 SERIES 2.75-14 Front Bias BW Motorcycle Tire 4PR TT

Close enough to try thanks @mrelwood.

It likely performs as good, but it requires shaving of the side knobbies to fit into an MSX. @Gaz Bon has one on his. Details with photos on the previous page:

• 2 weeks later...

@mrelwood thank you for having shared that tire. Just installed it like you and it's incredible.

Ok it's incredible on offroad but...

It's even much better than original on the asphalt to me! What i didn't like about MSX seems to have disappeared: the wheel is not only more stable, it's much more nimble with that tire, what i had not expected!

Edited by Matthieu Thegrey
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I see you have ”adjusted” the dihedral pedal angle. :lol: Nice work!

Oh yes, I am trying to solve achilles tendon pain, too, which appeared recently, and may be with the Nikola pedals and their lightly superior angle. Aluminium plates over 2x5 door wedges and some pieces of air tube... ;)

photo_2019-09-20_14-14-17.thumb.jpg.6676

Edited by sbouju

9 hours ago, Matthieu Thegrey said:

@mrelwood How did you know that this enduro tire would fit into the MSX? It's reffered to 14 inches which seems to be the rim diameter? Is there some kind of easy calculation to understand?

Motorcycle tires have a different measurement standard. A 18x3.0 bicycle tire is the same size as a 2.50-14 or a 2.75-14 motorcycle tire. More info in the ”Tire thread”.

Another forum member had succesfully installed the C-186 2.75-14 before me, so I knew it would fit. Many 2.75-14 tires require shaving of the side knobbies to fit though, so a 2.50-14 is generally more likely to fit on the MSX.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:49 PM, mrelwood said:

BEA19C58-81B6-46D7-91B2-C4AA24D1161D.jpeg.8559279c8142350d57b1f97a38acf29b.jpeg

Not that the original or the H-666 were puny or anything, but this CST C186 is really massive! And the rubber is extremely soft, this must grip like crazy!

I wasn’t able to get the tire pressurized tubeless, since the ridges inside the rim are next to non-existent, so I had to go back to running tubed.

The tire has some deformations from the shipping, so I wasn’t yet able to center it well enough not to rub during every rotation. Will keep centering as the tire straightens itself up under pressure.

Rode for one minute on the yard, and indeed didn’t notice any shaking from the knobs! Turning at slow speeds is quite different, almost as if it requires more lean like a narrower tire would to turn in a 4 feet circle.

I’m excited! We have a group ride on thursday to tackle some new cliffs, so the tire (and me) gets a true real life test right away.

What are the dimensions of the tyre you got?

looking online some seem to be 3 wide - some less.

very excited to see such a beast fitted. I primarily like to ride trails, and it’s raining here a lot now.

43 minutes ago, HippoPig said:

looking online some seem to be 3 wide - some less.

very excited to see such a beast fitted. I primarily like to ride trails, and it’s raining here a lot now.

OK.

i see above now.

Tyre ordered :)

7 hours ago, HippoPig said:

2.75-14, as this is a motorcycle tire.

This C186 would be right up your alley then! You wouldn’t believe what this tire can do. I’ll try to get my review done and published in an hour.

Maybe I should apply for work at CST, ha!

Edit: CST C-186 tire review now available here:

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...