MSX customizations-sharewhat you’ve done

It looks like I have finally designed and printed mud guard which seems to work.... ;-)  awaiting final tests in heavy rain...

IMG-20200213-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200213-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20200213-WA0010.jpg

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 2

I ordered a tubeless tire similar to the Z10 tire. https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/bridgestone-sc1-70-90-14-34-p-front-tl#283690622

There is an interesting and useful technique for us to simplify mounting and centering tires on the rim. 

Edited by Victor Solovjov
Added the trick.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, Victor Solovjov said:

I did wonder if a 70/90/14 would work on the MSX. Opens up quite a few possibilities for decent motorcycle spec (grip) rubber quality. Most of the big players like Michelin/Bridgestone etc make tyres in that size. Could even run with a tube I guess. My concern was how stiff the carcass would be on a tubeless MC tyre. Please keep us updated on how it goes, specifically the ride quality :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Please keep us updated on how it goes, specifically the ride quality

I've received it. It looks like a normal tire, not like the Z10. The tire is summer, I will not put it now. For now, I want to put 2.75-14 35 P Shinko Sr 241 with an 18x2.5 tube, since I could not center it with an 18x3 tube. In addition, I am recovering from a dislocation of the elbow and I will not ride for the next month. I also plan to buy an off-road tubeless tire: https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?cart_id=IdfvJtFw3hVfhEpn.110.388153757&typ=R-278330&ranzahl=4&dsco=110&Cookie=sea_rd_uk_Froogle_Shopping&m_s=1&&details=1&dim_wahl=1

I have such a valve for tubeless tires: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-It-Aluminium-Tubeless-90-Degree-Valve-8-3mm-Workshop-Motorcycle-VLV010-J-S/133081309651?epid=6035973951&hash=item1efc43a1d3:g:Z90AAOSwUPxc~31s

2 hours ago, Victor Solovjov said:

I've received it. It looks like a normal tire, not like the Z10.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about looks...do you mean it doesn't feel as stiff as a Z10 tyre? I know the Z has a very low sidewall so will never be as flexible as the one you have bought, but I had concerns that the one you bought would still be considerably stiffer than the stock MSX tyre, given it is not only manufactured to motorcycle specification but is also tubeless.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

stiff

About 

Bridgestone SC1
70/90-14 34 P Front TL

It is very stiff to the touch. Stiffer than standard. Stiffer even than Shinko Sr 241.

Thread: 2 nylon, sidewall: 2 nylon. The maximum load is 118 kg. 33 psi. There is an arrow on the side wall. If the tire is correctly oriented on the rim, the rear view will look like the letter V.

There is an arrow on the side wall. If the tire is correctly oriented on the rim, the rear view will look like the letter V.

Are you sure about this? It would be the first tire designed to be oriented that way that I’ve seen. The grooves are generally designed to push water outwards from the center, which makes it look like a V from the front, not rear.

image.jpeg.1e6454455c40fd2427faeac426bd18f2.jpeg

• Like 2

While an interesting puzzle, I don’t think the orientation of the mentioned tire would make any difference on an EUC. Hydroplaning has been calculated theoretically only happening closer to 100km/h on an EUC. But a puzzle is a puzzle!

I agree with you. In my car, the tires are oriented just like in your motorcycle.

Exactly, every single car tire I’ve ever seen as well. (Not my MC, btw, just a random sample.)

2 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

With motorcycle tyres when you use a rear on the front you run it backwards, same goes for a front on the rear, don’t ask why it’s just what is done

Interesting! But why...?!

It seems a motorcycle front tire is the outlier here. A quick googling reveals aerodynamics, opposite forces and different requirements during cornering as reasons.

Now, the EUC tire is both a front and a rear tire, but I’d say it is more akin to a front tire of a MC. But to stir the soup further, e-bike tires generally have the treading similiarly to a MC rear tire...

Edited by mrelwood

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Interesting! But why...?!

It seems a motorcycle front tire is the outlier here. A quick googling reveals aerodynamics, opposite forces and different requirements during cornering as reasons.

Now, the EUC tire is both a front and a rear tire, but I’d say it is more akin to a front tire of a MC. But to stir the soup further, e-bike tires generally have the treading similiarly to a MC rear tire...

My understanding is that the front tyre on a motorcycle is the primary 'rain plough', clearing the main path of water. Rears don't need nearly so much ability, so they run them in a manner that combines the best grip, wear and 'some' ability to clear water. This usually happens to be a different tread pattern/orientation to the front. It's grip and wear on rears that are the the main priority - the forces on high performance sportsbike rear tyres are massive and could shred a tread pattern designed for front rain clearance in hours.

It's another reason why fronts often (although not so much these days) have a central groove, rears don't.

And I agree, it really wouldn't matter one way or the other at the low speeds we run on EUC's.

• Like 1

No idea

but I used to have this stupid Suzuki and it had massive tyres

anyway I ran a rear on the front and it had to go backwards 

the forums said this and the motorcycle tyre shop also said it had to

either way in a gremlin, I can’t get wet so the rain thing doesn’t bother me :)

40 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

How do you keep you shell looking nice? Other than not drop it. Mine loses that dark black shine the second I get on.

Periodically (and certainly before any pictures are taken) I clean the tire and the shell with a foaming cleaner. Something like this: https://amzn.to/2T8ztU1

It's meant for tires, but I also spray it on the shell. I spray the tire and motor liberally but only partially spray the shell. I let the tire do it's thing, but using paper towels I spread the foam all over the shell and wipe until dry.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...