MSX customizations-sharewhat you’ve done

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Jack: ¿qué tan difícil / fácil es cambiar el choque (si quisiera reemplazarlo con un Fox, por ejemplo)? 

La misma pregunta para cambiar el neumático.

Gracias

Compré uno

por favor conteste.

Gracias de nuevo

I would like to know the same.  +1

On 5/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, mrelwood said:

~200km tire review - Chaoyang H-666, 18x3.0"

3721314_2019-05-0410_28_20S.jpg.18d5512e913cf1274edd508623a0c336.jpg

Now that I have a few weeks down with the new tire, I feel like I can give a proper review. For more photos, scroll a few posts back up.

Size

Despite the same "18x3.0" designation, the H-666 is 0.2" wider than the original, leaving just 0.1" for clearance per side. Pinecones and the rare few pebbles that have gotten dragged in make more noise, but haven't affected the riding otherwise. Before aligning the shell the right side of the tire would scrape on the shell as soon as I put more weight on the right foot, but loosening the shell-to-pedal bracket screws (6 per side) and aligning the tire to the center of the wheel well helped some. Will do the alignment again, since it can still touch during one-legged takeoff.

Riding properties

Despite being wider, the H-666 has less tendency to stay upright during a turn. The original tire was pretty worn after 5000km, but I think even when new the original did force the wheel upright more. The difference is not huge but easily noticeable, and I consider the change to be a good one since turning at high speed takes less effort this way. I don't hear or feel additional noises or vibrations on any surface. At first I thought that the H-666 was more comfortable in taking bumps, but I'm not sure anymore. Could be that the newly pumped tire pressure settled to a lower value causing a more comfy feel. Then again, I don't feel the same little wobbly bouncing that I used to when riding down curbs or hitting larger cracks on pavement.

What is phenomenal is the H-666's directionality when transitioning from one surface to another. Pavement to gravel, and even onto soft fine gravel is no problem, the change in behaviour is unnaturally tiny.

When twisting the MSX on pavement, the H-666 turns a good bit better than the original did. The original stuck to the pavement and was very hard to turn by twisting.

Grip

The original H-5102 tire was bad at mud, wet moss, wet grass and other challenging conditions, even when new. When worn, it got dangerous. The few muddy spots I rode while the snow was melting this spring were extremely unstable despite riding at less than walking speed. I realized that I had put off off-roading several times because of the tire. And whenever I saw anything wet, I slowed down to a crawl. It was stressful.

The grip on the H-666 is magnificent on every surface, wet or dry! It is not a knobby tire, so wet mud is still slippery, but in a very predictable manner. I'm no longer afraid of the muddy spots! When trying a very steep climb onto a cliff that I struggle with even under dry conditions, the wheel lost it's grip and ability to balance very slowly and gracefully. Then I just calmly stepped off without the slightest bit of drama. Turned out the tire had been skidding on and throwing back wet moss for a good few meters. Even crossing tough 10" deep muddy ruts has been surprisingly succesful so far.

Combined with the astonishing directionality, the magnificent grip and the ability to carve better has made me ride 90° turns way faster than I've ever done. On pavement, fine gravel, and even on large loose gravel. It is an exciting new experience, to ride tight turns on bike paths at speeds that used to be unimaginable. It's humorous how quickly the turn is done!

Milage (92kg rider + gear)

Unfortunately I didn't gather any data during the tire change. The 1600Wh MSX range has started to bother me a bit this spring, but then again I ride and accelerate quite a bit faster than I used to, and I ride more off-road. Both even more now that the H-666 enables me to do so. Today I got the first beeps already at 40km on a very steep incline, when I had ridden only off-road and hilly dirt pathways and shaky gravel cycleways, all of which are very battery consuming. I finished the trip at 55km, down to 12% battery left. I will try to restrain myself to do a full range test on pavement...

65km was my record from a local EUC meet last year, and I did reach 64km (17% battery) at this year's first meet on monday. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the battery state from last year. I think it's safe to say that if there is a difference in range, it is not huge.

Last year I settled to 2.7 bars on the original, although this spring anything above 2.5 felt like too much. I was able to improve the shock absorbers under my DIY bigfoot pedal plates, so I've been running the H-666 at 2.7 - 2.8 bars as well.

Conclusion

The H-666 is a stellar upgrade in every imaginable measure to even a new original H-5102 MSX tire. Unfortunately the larger size may be problematic if your rim doesn't run true, or if the shell is off center and can't be re-aligned to center properly. If those are non-issues, the installation is pretty straightforward when lubed properly, and the reward is a wheel that can be pushed more under all, and way more under most circumstances. I really like this tire a lot, and damn I love my wheel now!

I paid ~50€ for mine to seller "Kingstar-cn" at Ebay, who was kind enough to confirm twice that I would indeed get the correct tire, unlike all my past experiences from Chinese tire sellers. Unfortunately the seller doesn't have any items on Ebay at the moment, but I would still ask the seller directly, in case you can't find another reliable seller for the Chaoyang H-666 in 18x3.0".

Warning! 18x3.0" is the correct size, while 3.0-18 would be a motorcycle tire for a lot larger rim. Make sure you purchase a 18x3.0 (bicycle standard), NOT 3.0-18 (motorcycle standard)! A motorcycle size that fits is 2.50-14, and also some 2.75-14 models.

i have ks18xl with stock h-5102. do you think i can install the h-666 tire or its too wide? thank you.

Edited by Supafast
typo

1 hour ago, Supafast said:

i have ks18xl with stock h-5102. do you think i can install the h-666 tire or its too wide? thank you.

If you can find a 18x2.5” version of the H-666, sure, it should fit. The MSX has a 18x3.0” tire, so the same size will of course not fit the 18XL.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If you can find a 18x2.5” version of the H-666, sure, it should fit. The MSX has a 18x3.0” tire, so the same size will of course not fit the 18XL.

great thanks.

since you go offroading a lot, what is your opinion on Slime or similar in tube? does it effect wheel balance? I saw martys youtube video showing on how to do it. but i'm hesitant to use it.  

1 hour ago, Supafast said:

great thanks.

since you go offroading a lot, what is your opinion on Slime or similar in tube? does it effect wheel balance? I saw martys youtube video showing on how to do it. but i'm hesitant to use it.  

Don’t. Be hesitant, that is. I have never noticed any effects to ride behaviour, ill or otherwise, from adding a sealant. Not under any kind of riding, up to 50km/h. Usually when I replace the outer tire, I can find that the sealant has done it’s job. Again.

Have you tested the pads yet? Based on my own experiments and the photos I've seen on others', your front risers looks to be located quite far back. It might limit the forward lean a bit too much.

1 hour ago, Willy510 said:

3d printed some side pads to help out with acceleration and braking.Printed them in TPU and a low fill so they are firm but still squishy and comfortable. 

SCkv00T.jpgzMRgNAb.jpg

maybe to big ? i like to move front and back while riding, good work by the way ;)

Awesome work... you guys/gals inspire me to look into 3d printers, seems a tweakers dream come true! Anything to look for in a no nonsense cost effective 3d printer? I know nothing about it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Have you tested the pads yet? Based on my own experiments and the photos I've seen on others', your front risers looks to be located quite far back. It might limit the forward lean a bit too much.

They work great for me, I think the perspective of the photo make them look farther back than they actually are

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EMA said:

maybe to big ? i like to move front and back while riding, good work by the way ;)

Still plenty of room to slide back and forth for me, they are a bit longer than most of the pads that I have seen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Awesome work... you guys/gals inspire me to look into 3d printers, seems a tweakers dream come true! Anything to look for in a no nonsense cost effective 3d printer? I know nothing about it.

It depends on what your budget is and how much effort you want to put into it. The larger your budget, the less effort you have to put into it. I've used printers that range from a $100 printer that I did some testing on for a manufacturer to the $180,000 one in my lab at work and the cheap one can make good prints on some materials but requires much more effort and experience. Let me know your budget and if you want to print flexible materials and I can give a couple of suggestions. 

• Like 1

After years of reading about EUCs, watching YouTube reviews and having them on my wish list (I really wanted the Z10 at one point), I finally ordered the MSX 84V. Days later the MSP was announced, ha. I waited about a month for my MSX to arrive from China. Despite the wait it was a great experience. Since it was still cold here in Toronto and we’re in quarantine, I only kept my MSX indoors. I took it outside on the driveway for the first time last week and began my practice. It’s going to take a lot of time to get good at this, but yes, I love it. Anyways, mods! Almost everything I own that’s fun I have to mod (..even if it’s just a little mod). :)

My MSX 84V comes with 1859wh batteries with the new black pedals. I also got the fender and seat.

For my first “mod” I stuck on some reflector tape and installed a nose stand from EUC Army. Thinking of a clean way to install some sort of performance pads..the Russians, Kuji pads, power pads, winglets? Don’t know yet. Sorry if this was way too long and ended up only being a light mod :D

Ackeaw2.jpg

xNOdsGz.jpg

• Like 1

Just thought I'd throw up a couple of my latest pics. Long live the mighty MSX, never to be over ruled by the young, techno fandangled suspension whippersnappers :). I will think of the MSX fondly like the 'old' Jaguar XJ220 in years to come...ancient tech but will never give up a fight easily :)

Edit: Pics removed - having a cull of my uploads to retrieve space.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 8:05 AM, Willy510 said:

3d printed some side pads to help out with acceleration and braking.Printed them in TPU and a low fill so they are firm but still squishy and comfortable. 

SCkv00T.jpgzMRgNAb.jpg

If you wear the wheel like that, I suggest you wear this suit :-)image.png.9b16f7211980ec8c4d35b3e9f0593e6d.png

Edited by Augus
  • Like 1

received my msp 2 days ago, really like it. i put my usual mods on it, i've done an extension on pedals, done some quick test around the house and seems fine.

waiting the lockdown end...

Edited by EMA
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 12:05 AM, Willy510 said:

Looking forward to this showing up on your thingiverse designs! The day after I stuck baby bumpers all over my MSX you show up with your amazing TPU bumpers... I need to get some black TPU so I can print them but they look fantastic!

20 hours ago, raidzero said:

Looking forward to this showing up on your thingiverse designs! The day after I stuck baby bumpers all over my MSX you show up with your amazing TPU bumpers... I need to get some black TPU so I can print them but they look fantastic!

Thanks   https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4296132/files

• Like 1