My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

34 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

Please can anyone tell me what is the real top safe speed of the Z10?

28-mph

• Like 2

Managed to get Two comparison photos now of the old and new upper boards, which do show there have been a considerable number of additions/changes to components! You can also see more clearly how the whole assembly has been moved over to allow all the main cables to exit on one side only.

Z10 Top board1.jpg

Z10 Top board2#.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

Can someone help me? the wheel is making this strange noise like ruminating that makes when you ride it transmits vibrations to the pedals that even feel under feet causing a small tingling. allthough, the wheel is still at full capacity but feel those vibrations that even intensify during braking. what is happening? Please give me a help, tell me what can I do

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fbhb said:

Here are Two photos of the heatsink that sits underneath the board.

Z10 Heatsink.JPG

Z10 Heatsink1.JPG

Here is another photo with the upper board still in place, as previously configured (using Two separate boards) on the pre-production wheel. Hard to tell from this whether any small changes have been made to this board as well though! I would imagine that it's been a combination of minor tweaks with the additional components and firmware, but that is only really guesswork on my part!

Z10 Top board.JPG

I'm pleased to see that Ninebot used an ample supply of thermal transfer paste beneath the heat sink. 

1 hour ago, RoberAce said:

Can someone help me? the wheel is making this strange noise like ruminating that makes when you ride it transmits vibrations to the pedals that even feel under feet causing a small tingling. allthough, the wheel is still at full capacity but feel those vibrations that even intensify during braking. what is happening? Please give me a help, tell me what can I do

No idea. I don't know if it's necessarily bad. My Z10 has almost 800-miles on it and no problems. All wheels sound a bit different after they get broken in. You should hear all the sounds that start coming out of Gotway wheels :facepalm:

• Like 1

After performing some short speed runs with a full battery, I took the Z10 for an extended run at maximum speed. I was riding the tilt-back near continuously (which is pretty comfortable to do). So at ~80-percent battery you can push the wheel to ~27-mph, but it's really a 25-mph wheel if you don't want to deal with tilt-back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RoberAce said:

@Marty Backe Please do this test with your wheel and tell me if it sounds and behaves the same

I can't see any "behavior" in your video - the wheel just turns when you're moving it.

My wheel seems to have less resistance that yours and the sound is about the same but I think much quieter.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't see any "behavior" in your video - the wheel just turns when you're moving it.

My wheel seems to have less resistance that yours and the sound is about the same but I think much quieter.

This is what I think, but it is since yesterday and I don’t know why :(

Per eWheels this morning:

"We're now looking at an arrival date of around mid-
September for sea-freight, or end of August, if everything goes to plan, for air-shipping service. Will be sending out an email blast with an update in the next day or two.  "

8 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

Per eWheels this morning:

"We're now looking at an arrival date of around mid-
September for sea-freight, or end of August, if everything goes to plan, for air-shipping service. Will be sending out an email blast with an update in the next day or two.  "

I am not sure if I should get it now or wait till next summer. :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ather said:

Starts getting cool here in mid-September in Seattle.

18 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

Starts getting cool here in mid-September in Seattle.

September and October are perfect riding months in Southern California.

20 minutes ago, Ather said:

By next summer the Z10 will be old news and something else will be all the rage.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

By next summer the Z10 will be old news 

Don’t you mean this winter?  I just hope the Z10 performs well in the snow. I know.. I know...what’s snow? ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoberAce said:

@Marty Backe could you Please do this test with your wheel and tell me if it sounds and behaves the same? Thx Dude

Sounds normal to me. Tried doing the same to a new S1 motor and it makes the same noise.

Have you tried disconnecting the motor wires to the control board and check if the noise is still there when you turn the wheel? Make note of which wire came from what terminal. You don’t want the wheel to turn backwards when you want it to go forward. 

8 hours ago, RoberAce said:

This is what I think, but it is since yesterday and I don’t know why :(

To me that sounds like a very faint resonation in the plastic shell or cabling, from when the motor has it’s natural vibration at the specific frequency. That would be perfectly normal. My wheels resonate a lot louder than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gustesta said:

And can you keep pushing to tilt back indefinitely without a possibily face plant issue?  Does the wheel gently keep you at the top speed?  

Yes. Did you happen to see my Z10 "Riding The Tilt-Back" video that I pushed out today?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Did you happen to see my Z10 "Riding The Tilt-Back" video that I pushed out today?

Yes, Marty! Thank you for your courage to film it all the way! You are the hero!

It seems that Z10 getting stronger the faster you go, like motorcycles do?

While other brands treat you as a child or do shut outs at high speed,

Z10 keeps you racing by adapting pedals angle to the speed?

Like a Porsche rear spoiler that wings up the faster you go?

Gotway Way: audio warnings, tilt back at speed of your choice, high speed shutout.

KingSong Way: audio warnings, heavy tilt back that causing speed reduction.

Ninebot Way: audio warnings, gentle tilt back, letting you push back. Invitation to racing fight?

Feels very exiting if it so. Correct me if I am wrong!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iCafe said:

Yes, Marty! Thank you for your courage to film it all the way! You are the hero!

It seems that Z10 getting stronger the faster you go, like motorcycles do?

While other brands treat you as a child or do shut outs at high speed,

Z10 keeps you racing by adapting pedals angle to the speed?

Like a Porsche rear spoiler that wings up the faster you go?

Gotway Way: audio warnings, tilt back at speed of your choice, high speed shutout.

KingSong Way: audio warnings, heavy tilt back that causing speed reduction.

Ninebot Way: audio warnings, gentle tilt back, letting you push back. Invitation to racing fight?

Feels very exiting if it so. Correct me if I am wrong!

Yes, the tilt-back on the Z10 is pretty mellow compared to KingSong. But I'm sure if I continued to be aggressive push against the tilt-back, the tilt-back would have gotten worse.

• Upvote 1