My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've said it once, but I'll say it again.  Chooch is a choch.  Plain and simple.  How did he even get on the test drive list?  I know, I know, it's all about the clicks and views, but I'll never watch another Chooch video so help me God.  Ever since his little incident with Ian Sampson over at Speedyfeet plus the stabbing thing I've lost all respect for the kid.  :rolleyes:  He could be the master EUC rider super skill dude of the century, but he's dead to me.  :eff05cf9bc:

Funny thing is that before all that I loved his riding through the snow with the Ninebot video and some of this other riding ones.  The kid can ride an EUC, I'll give him that.  Oh well, some people have a lot of growing up to do.  What goes around comes around I always say.  It might be a generational difference thing, but yeah no I think not.

Dang! Stabbing thing!??

Ah... :ph34r:  me no want to derail thread more than I already have, but do a search for "stabbing."  These posts also kinda sum it up.  :whistling:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Why can't us KingSong and Gotway owners experience the joys of an app like this? No Chinese. Just my native language. Kudos to Ninebot

see why i was pulling my hair out with me getting all these wheels at once and  all these 9bots working flawlessly with their app, and holding my breath and hoping with the kingsongs app.

i was so frustrated i just wanted an on/off switch with battery meter.

• Like 2

Enjoy! Try to be gentle with the screws, easily stripped. Those nuts embedded in plastic base are also very easily damaged, especially those 4 on the mud guard.

And charging, well, if it’s drained, overnight may not be enough time... 

Edited by Turbocharged

1 minute ago, Turbocharged said:

Enjoy! Try to be gentle with the screws, easily stripped. Those nuts embedded in plastic base are also very easily damaged, especially those 4 on the mud guard.

:o Thanks for the heads-up. I'll put my torque wrench away ;)

37 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

Yes, at low speed there is almost no learning curve if not even easier. Go up to 15-20 mph, it's a different wheel, you have to really throw yourself left and right, in a fun way! I really hope more EUC fans can have the chance and give enough patience to learn the Z riding style, it is FUN!

I for one hated the early version, at all speed ranges, and it got better and better through both software and hardware updates, I just love the Z now. I thought I would only use Z when I needed the range or speed, or to participate Ninebot club event, and keep using smaller wheels for other purposes, but I find myself almost never touch other wheels now. I take Z for supermarket run... It's just so much fun to ride.

The trolley handle truly sucks. In principle the design would work great but for some reason Ninebot decided to go with the flimsiest material possible. I know it's metal but it feels like cheap rubbery plastic. Considering the quality of the rest of the wheel I struggle to understand how they allowed this handle to be shipped with the wheel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good. We are in agreement. I just finished a ride around town in some very dark conditions. The headlamp is like the old Gotway/KingSong lights - worthless for safe riding but probably pretty good for maintaining visibility by others. I think Inmotion's V10F has the best headlamp in the current crop of wheels.

Marty please find out what's the lowest tire pressure that you can ride without damaging the tire if that is even possible? Thanks so much ??

10 hours ago, Turbocharged said:

And charging, well, if it’s drained, overnight may not be enough time... 

@Turbocharged Do You  know the name/type of the charging connector used in Z10? (afaik it is the same type as used on some type of NB mini model) Or maybe You know the source where to get the connector (full set of male-female) from? While still waiting for my Z10 to arrive - I would like to get ready with possibility to use Charge Doctor (to monitor and limit charge to 90% for everyday use)   also - to consider use of two standard Z10 chargers to shorten charge time when needed (I use charge doctor with my Kingsong KS16S with very good results - after 5200 km done in one year I do not see any significant decrease in battery capacity) to see what charge doctor is and the basic use - please see  

26 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

@Turbocharged Do You  know the name/type of the charging connector used in Z10? (afaik it is the same type as used on some type of NB mini model) Or maybe You know the source where to get the connector (full set of male-female) from? While still waiting for my Z10 to arrive - I would like to get ready with possibility to use Charge Doctor (to monitor and limit charge to 90% for everyday use)   also - to consider use of two standard Z10 chargers to shorten charge time when needed (I use charge doctor with my Kingsong KS16S with very good results - after 5200 km done in one year I do not see any significant decrease in battery capacity) to see what charge doctor is and the basic use - please see  

It’s a proprietary connector type, the same as the ones used for the mini plus model (the “fat mini”) .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lukasz said:

It is a 3-pin plug. What's interesting about the Z10 is that there are two apparently independent battery packs. As you use the wheel, the battery voltages diverge. Even the primary battery status on the main screen shows two separate battery percentages (e.g. 99% / 97%). So you can say that the 2-amp charger is a dual charger because I suspect each battery is being charged independently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm definitely glad that I put my deposit down on this wheel.

me too. haters will just have to hate.

the “u have too many wheels haters”.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It is a 3-pin plug. What's interesting about the Z10 is that there are two apparently independent battery packs. As you use the wheel, the battery voltages diverge. Even the primary battery status on the main screen shows two separate battery percentages (e.g. 99% / 97%). So you can say that the 2-amp charger is a dual charger because I suspect each battery is being charged independently.

Yes, I have noticed before the divided display in the application, with slightly different battery percentages - it would be interesting to find out how far those separate channels reach - two batteries, two separate sets of MOSFETS, and what about hall sensors? From the Ninebot One Z Teardown by Houseofjob we know that there are only 3 wires to the  motor - so we do not have  "two motors" (separate coils) .  In scope of the Charge Doctor - not good, as new "dual" version of Charge Doctor will be needed in such case...  but for safety - it should be very interesting.  Also - it would be interesting to know more technical details of such setup - in which battery "unbalance" state we will get some error message / wheel disabled status?  what happens if one "power set" fails? does it mean switch off / fall or some emergency slowdown / safe speed decrease? @Turbocharged  Can You maybe give us some clue if You are in contact with engineering team in NB?  Also - would it be possible to charge the Z10 from 2 chargers, or if there is the plan to release some kind of "fast" charger?   (if You mention that charging "overnight" may not be enough with standard charger... )

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 2