My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Klin said:

I want to try riding the Ninebot Z10 so bad. I live in Southern California too but I totally missed all the meetups as I just signed up on the forums. This is actually my first post!

I'm a fairly new rider who just started riding last month but I already have a couple hundred miles under my belt as I ride daily.

Currently stuck with a S1 and having a really bad upgrade itch as I hit the speed limit and activate the tilt-back every 5 seconds.  Also the low range is a buzz-kill too.

My new EUC will be either the Ninebot Z10 or Inmotion V10 but I am having a really, really difficult time deciding. 

Any advice or suggestions?

PS- New users can't send PMs? What's the deal with that?

You have to establish a tiny bit of validation before you can PM, otherwise people could start getting spammed.

Well, you can drive up to San Francisco for the Z10 demo days this Friday and Saturday :laughbounce2:

Having ridden both the V10F and Z10 for over a couple hundred miles each, I would take the Z10 in a heartbeat. But that's just one man's opinion.

The V10 is not exactly a featherweight, but if you're looking for something a bit more on the svelte side, get the V10. If you want speed, get the Z10, it's much faster than the V10.

Both have similar ranges, but the V10 probably has 10% more.

Who doesn't think that the Z10 is the coolest looking wheel being made right now?

Based on the limited information that you've provided us, I really thing the Z10 is the wheel for you.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Klin said:

I want to try riding the Ninebot Z10 so bad. I live in Southern California too but I totally missed all the meetups as I just signed up on the forums. This is actually my first post!

I'm a fairly new rider who just started riding last month but I already have a couple hundred miles under my belt as I ride daily.

Currently stuck with a S1 and having a really bad upgrade itch as I hit the speed limit and activate the tilt-back every 5 seconds.  Also the low range is a buzz-kill too.

My new EUC will be either the Ninebot Z10 or Inmotion V10 but I am having a really, really difficult time deciding. 

Any advice or suggestions?

PS- New users can't send PMs? What's the deal with that?

Klin, I owned the V10F for about a month and ended up returning it.  I have a video series on it here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA1lVGDc5patXa4QgkUlgyA?view_as=subscriber

The short of it is they InMotion almost pulled it off, but the wheel is easily overpowered and instead of warning you about it, it tilts to 45 degrees and forces you off of it.  I had this occur a number of times on me, and it occurred once for a friend of mine on a straight away crossing a 4 lane road - which we considered dangerous.     Maybe they've worked it on in the firmware since then, but frankly the other wheels are so go, I can't see taking the chance they haven't.  My 2 cents, your milage may vary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm going to keep this post and remind you of all the fun you're supposed to be having come next January :P I'll try and post a video of me wheeling by a bikini clad woman too :laughbounce2:

Well........ I’m going to ride around our local polar bear club in January where old women in swimsuits jump into freezing water and watch for any boob reactions. :crying:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You have to establish a tiny bit of validation before you can PM, otherwise people could start getting spammed.

Well, you can drive up to San Francisco for the Z10 demo days this Friday and Saturday :laughbounce2:

Having ridden both the V10F and Z10 for over a couple hundred miles each, I would take the Z10 in a heartbeat. But that's just one man's opinion.

The V10 is not exactly a featherweight, but if you're looking for something a bit more on the svelte side, get the V10. If you want speed, get the Z10, it's much faster than the V10.

Both have similar ranges, but the V10 probably has 10% more.

Who doesn't think that the Z10 is the coolest looking wheel being made right now?

Based on the limited information that you've provided us, I really thing the Z10 is the wheel for you.

Thanks for your input, I really see myself getting the Z10 as it is just so damn sexy ? although I have read about people complaining about the low pedal height of the z10 compared to the v10. 

The design of the wheel is fairly important to me which is why I bought the S1 as my first wheel, I also want to be able to ride up inclined roads as I live in the foothills.

I also feel that with the wider wheel of the z10 it would take imperfections and bumps in the road a little better. I know the top speed on the z10 is faster but I’m wondering about the acceleration too.?

Would you happen to know how the z10 rides at lower speeds compared to the V10? On my s1 I  can easily slow down on narrow sidewalks and maneuver around Pedestrians and obstacles with ease.

Thanks again.

P.S. - Where would you recommend me to purchase a z10? ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Klin said:

Thanks for your input, I really see myself getting the Z10 as it is just so damn sexy ? although I have read about people complaining about the low pedal height of the z10 compared to the v10. 

The design of the wheel is fairly important to me which is why I bought the S1 as my first wheel, I also want to be able to ride up inclined roads as I live in the foothills.

I also feel that with the wider wheel of the z10 it would take imperfections and bumps in the road a little better. I know the top speed on the z10 is faster but I’m wondering about the acceleration too.?

Would you happen to know how the z10 rides at lower speeds compared to the V10? On my s1 I  can easily slow down on narrow sidewalks and maneuver around Pedestrians and obstacles with ease.

Thanks again.

P.S. - Where would you recommend me to purchase a z10? ?

The pedal height of the Z10 is a non-issue. After ~350-miles, I never scraped the pedals. This goes to your next question - slow speed handling. The Z10, with the fat tire, is a blast to ride at low speed. I'm not exaggerating by saying the only other wheel which is more effortless at slow speed handling is the Mten3. Due to the different manner in which you turn, pedal height becomes a non-issue.

But yes, if you're going to be riding a lot of single-track, pick the V10 for the increased pedal height.

Unless you're racing all the time, acceleration with the Z10 is just fine.

EWheels is the only distributor of the Z10 in the United States. I buy most of my wheels there.

Edited by Marty Backe

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The pedal height of the Z10 is a non-issue. After ~350-miles, I never scraped the pedals. This goes to your next question - slow speed handling. The Z10, with the fat tire, is a blast to ride at low speed. I'm not exaggerating by saying the only other wheel which is more effortless at slow speed handling is the Mten3. Due to the different manner in which you turn, pedal height becomes a non-issue.

But yes, if you're going to be riding a lot of single-track, pick the V10 of the increased pedal height.

Unless you're racing all the time, acceleration with the Z10 is just fine.

EWheels is the only distributor of the Z10 in the United States. I buy most of my wheels there.

Thanks again for your input. I THINK I’m going to buy the z10. By any chance would you still have the pre-production z10 after you return from San Francisco? I can’t make the drive up there this weekend due to business reasons but it would be great if you could schedule another meet up so I can have a go at it ?

3 minutes ago, Klin said:

Thanks again for your input. I THINK I’m going to buy the z10. By any chance would you still have the pre-production z10 after you return from San Francisco? I can’t make the drive up there this weekend due to business reasons but it would be great if you could schedule another meet up so I can have a go at it ?

BTW, I was joking about you making the trip to San Fran :D

No, I'm losing the Z10 for good to @who_the :crying:. The next time one shows up in Southern California is when EWheels starts shipping them. Sorry.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I was joking about you making the trip to San Fran :D

No, I'm losing the Z10 for good to @who_the :crying:. The next time one shows up in Southern California is when EWheels starts shipping them. Sorry.

Haha, I'd be totally down if I was that desperate.

But based on your recommendation I actually just submitted payment for the $200 pre-order option from ewheels.com for the Z10.

I guess my slow S1 will have to do for now. It's a love/hate relationship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klin said:

Haha, I'd be totally down if I was that desperate.

But based on your recommendation I actually just submitted payment for the $200 pre-order option from ewheels.com for the Z10.

I guess my slow S1 will have to do for now. It's a love/hate relationship.

I think you're really going to be happy with the Z10. I have most of the highest performance wheels available, and when I ride the Z10 it feels like I'm on one of the high-end wheels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So @Marty Backe It looks to me you had  KS18L represented there and you got to ride just a little. Now it has been "hinted" you are Gotway branded, just a little ?, but how would you say the KS18L fair?

I only have my Inmotion V8 to compare it against. But I am getting more and more fun of it, even if I liked it from the begining. Unfurtunately my day trip to Denmark the other day was somewhat soiled by showers, i managed to get a 25km (KS-km) out of it. ohh and almost got rammed by a car speeding 50-60km over a long red light. Yhanks to my wide view despite wearing full face TSG Pass helmet I just managed to spot him in time in my eye corner. Have I had only 1 meter long breaking distance or so and he had clipped me at full speed. He never reacted a bit tatt all. 

But to me the KS18L inspire confident and stability. I don't ride it passed 35km, my accident kinda tought me how far I can push my luck ?.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think you're really going to be happy with the Z10. I have most of the highest performance wheels available, and when I ride the Z10 it feels like I'm on one of the high-end wheels.

I hope so too, and for over $1,500 it better damn well feel like I’m on a high-end wheel LOL.

I’ll be sure to bring it on any group rides I might attend in the future. 

I also received a message earlier today from Jason at eWHEELS that the mould for the z10 is broken which would delay production until mid-August. ETA would be mid- September for ocean freight or end of August for air-freight.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Klin said:

I hope so too, and for over $1,500 it better damn well feel like I’m on a high-end wheel LOL.

I’ll be sure to bring it on any group rides I might attend in the future. 

I also received a message earlier today from Jason at eWHEELS that the mould for the z10 is broken which would delay production until mid-August. ETA would be mid- September for ocean freight or end of August for air-freight.

Yes, we had already heard about the Ninebot factory problems. Like many us, it's a long wait, but hopefully worth it in the end. Look forward to seeing you in a future ride.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Now that you have ridden the Z10 for quite some miles already how do you think it is comfortwise. I have seen at least two persons already complain about the discomfort of the protective paddings that ship with the wheel. Does it need some extra pads for extra comfort à la chooch. If I got it right Roberace took them off altogether.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

Now that you have ridden the Z10 for quite some miles already how do you think it is comfortwise. I have seen at least two persons already complain about the discomfort of the protective paddings that ship with the wheel. Does it need some extra pads for extra comfort à la chooch. If I got it right Roberace took them off altogether.

I am going to give you my opinion what I have gleaned out of all the recent postings and my small experience... First I have not ridden the Z or VF... I own mostly NARROW wheels, 16S, 14D, etc... I did ride a MSupuper V3 and it hurt the tops of my calf's after about 5 mins... also when I got my Tesla, my legs hurt a little with their top side pads even though that wheel is not that wide but stick out a little. 

Look for the posts by @mrelwood and his complete experience with his new MSX, at first he hated it to the point I think he was going to get rid of it... about a week later, he could not stop Raving mostly at the performance... 

SO, my take is that guys who are used to wide wheels like @Marty Backe will have a "first impression" on a "wide wheel" that does not address the width or leg pain problem because they are used to it. Others like me who come from narrow wheels, find it uncomfortable and maybe painful in the beginning. Almost everyone who sticks with their "new wide" wheel says that their initial impression regarding that is gone and it is no problem.

What I am focusing on is performance, and the kind of riding I will use that wheel for... the Z is not a "range wheel" or super fast, I am still getting one :thumbup:...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ziiten said:

The Z10 that I have did not come with those protective shell pieces (I wouldn't call them padding because they are hard plastic). I find the Z10 completely comfortable. If I remember correctly, Chooch added the pads not for comfort but for better wheel control.

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

I am going to give you my opinion what I have gleaned out of all the recent postings and my small experience... First I have not ridden the Z or VF... I own mostly NARROW wheels, 16S, 14D, etc... I did ride a MSupuper V3 and it hurt the tops of my calf's after about 5 mins... also when I got my Tesla, my legs hurt a little with their top side pads even though that wheel is not that wide but stick out a little. 

Look for the posts by @mrelwood and his complete experience with his new MSX, at first he hated it to the point I think he was going to get rid of it... about a week later, he could not stop Raving mostly at the performance... 

SO, my take is that guys who are used to wide wheels like @Marty Backe will have a "first impression" on a "wide wheel" that does not address the width or leg pain problem because they are used to it. Others like me who come from narrow wheels, find it uncomfortable and maybe painful in the beginning. Almost everyone who sticks with their "new wide" wheel says that their initial impression regarding that is gone and it is no problem.

What I am focusing on is performance, and the kind of riding I will use that wheel for... the Z is not a "range wheel" or super fast, I am still getting one :thumbup:...

I agree with your descriptions of the V3 and Tesla leg pain - I had it too! The Z10, even being a wide wheel, will not give the same experience. I'm pretty confident about that.

The Tesla is a tall shell with pads at the top. Same with the MSuper V3. The top edges of the pads hit your shins in an uncomfortable way that takes time to get used to. The Z10 has a rounded and slightly tapered shell near the top. So there are zero pressure points on your legs. This is why Ninebot did not put pads on the wheels. Same with the MCM5. Gotway did not put pads on that wheel because they aren't needed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Minnesota...you definitely have some harsh winters. We might have to show @Marty Backe  just how much fun winter wonderland can be riding the Z. His delightful year round  ? climate with hot girls everywhere must get boring...... :whistling:

I intend to take it out in cold and record for you all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

So @Marty Backe It looks to me you had  KS18L represented there and you got to ride just a little. Now it has been "hinted" you are Gotway branded, just a little ?, but how would you say the KS18L fair?

I only have my Inmotion V8 to compare it against. But I am getting more and more fun of it, even if I liked it from the begining. Unfurtunately my day trip to Denmark the other day was somewhat soiled by showers, i managed to get a 25km (KS-km) out of it. ohh and almost got rammed by a car speeding 50-60km over a long red light. Yhanks to my wide view despite wearing full face TSG Pass helmet I just managed to spot him in time in my eye corner. Only 1 meter or so and he had clipped me at full speed. 

But to me the KS18L inspire confident and stability. I don't ride it passed 35km, my accident kinda tought me how far I can puss my luck ?.

I rode it only enough to say that it feels like a big version of the KS16S. But I'd need to ride one for at least 150-km before I could give an informed opinion about it. I don't have anything negative to say about it, that's for sure.