My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2:  :dribble:  I love summer!

Well all I can say to oppose that...

Winter...exotic furs and Christmas unwrapping at the cottage fireplace...so @Hunka Hunka Burning Love do you get the picture? 

34 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow that Z10 just plows over everything like an all-terrain EUC!  :blink1:  I was expecting to see Marty riding over some homeless guy sleeping in the grass at one point.  Lovin’ the super slow mo special effects!  :clap3:

:roflmao:

8 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

That actually made Venice Beach look clean.

:laughbounce2:

I put in a deposit for the Z10 yesterday. I'd buy from Aliexpress but I have no idea what I would do if the Z10 had a problem.

3 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

I put in a deposit for the Z10 yesterday. I'd buy from Aliexpress but I have no idea what I would do if the Z10 had a problem.

HEY!!! A Seattlite! I hope you join in on a few group rides so I can see that Z10 in person!

1 minute ago, Esper said:

HEY!!! A Seattlite! I hope you join in on a few group rides so I can see that Z10 in person!

I'm a loner, a rambler, ferociously independent and a Trump supporter. Too dangerous.

5 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

I'm a loner, a rambler, ferociously independent and a Trump supporter. Too dangerous.

I don't judge. I'm sure there are plenty of others that have an open mind.  :cheers:

3 minutes ago, Esper said:

I don't judge. I'm sure there are plenty of others that have an open mind.  :cheers:

I'm looking forward to riding this thing through some Antifa wearing my studded palm guards wearing a cape. I'm kidding. I'm probably just going to cruise the streets of West Seattle crime spotting.

I Love This Wheel - My New Favorite?

I'm desperately trying to figure out a way to have @Jason McNeil let me keep this wheel :D

Every time I  need a wheel, I'm instinctively reaching for the Z10. Yes, it doesn't have a long range but I'm fortunate to have access to other wheels. But this wheel is so much fun to ride and it looks just killer. I've taken off the mudguard because then it becomes super aggressive with that huge tire popping out everywhere. Yeah, if you want elegance, go for Inmotion or KingSong. But if you want a testosterone generating experience, it's the Z10 all the way baby :w00t2:

I love the stability at high speed. I love the high-speed carving, where you throw your body aggressively at the sides of the wheel during the carves - it's a very pleasing physical experience.

I love the low-speed agility. Other wheels are very agile, but they are twitchy. The Z10 has fantastic low-speed turning capability, but it's very relaxing in contrast to the more focused attention needed with typical wheels. I can do mindless little 360's and reversals while waiting at a light and not be thinking of the wheel at all. This is why it reminds me of the Mten3.

I love the sound of the wheel. The motor noise is almost non-existent, but the tire makes a very pleasing sound. No bell needed - people can hear you coming.

I love the sense of power that the wheel gives. It very much feels like a high performance wheel. I am disappointed in the low-end torque and overheating on steep hills. I'm optimistic that this won't be an issue in the production unit, but I'm still loving this wheel as it is. So if this is all I get, I'm still stoked.

I love the small form factor. Next to my ACM, this wheel seems only slightly bigger. In so many ways it appears to be more of a 16-inch wheel then our 18-inch brethren.

Except for the cost, this may be the new perfect beginner wheel. I'm convinced that it would be easier to learn on than most other wheels. You learn on it and then get to enjoy a high performance wheel that you won't out grow.

Oh, did I say that I love the build quality and the inherent feeling of safety that seems to come from the engineering behind the Ninebot name? Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, I don't know. But I can say that the hardware and software exude quality.

:wub:

IMG_20180718_165311716

"I can do mindless little 360's and reversals while waiting at a light and not be thinking of the wheel at all. "

It was this benefit, you described twice so far, that caught my attention the most. I like to ride in the city as much as the country and I want to NOT intimidate casual pedestrians on the sidewalk.

34 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

"I can do mindless little 360's and reversals while waiting at a light and not be thinking of the wheel at all. "

It was this benefit, you described twice so far, that caught my attention the most. I like to ride in the city as much as the country and I want to NOT intimidate casual pedestrians on the sidewalk.

You'll love it - let me know how you enjoy your little 360's :efefd0f676:

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm desperately trying to figure out a way to have @Jason McNeil let me keep this wheel :D

Every time I  need a wheel, I'm instinctively reaching for the Z10. Yes, it doesn't have a long range but I'm fortunate to have access to other wheels. But this wheel is so much fun to ride and it looks just killer. I've taken off the mudguard because then it becomes super aggressive with that huge tire popping out everywhere. Yeah, if you want elegance, go for Inmotion or KingSong. But if you want a testosterone generating experience, it's the Z10 all the way baby :w00t2:

I love the stability at high speed. I love the high-speed carving, where you throw your body aggressively at the sides of the wheel during the carves - it's a very pleasing physical experience.

I love the low-speed agility. Other wheels are very agile, but they are twitchy. The Z10 has fantastic low-speed turning capability, but it's very relaxing in contrast to the more focused attention needed with typical wheels. I can do mindless little 360's and reversals while waiting at a light and not be thinking of the wheel at all. This is why it reminds me of the Mten3.

I love the sound of the wheel. The motor noise is almost non-existent, but the tire makes a very pleasing sound. No bell needed - people can hear you coming.

I love the sense of power that the wheel gives. It very much feels like a high performance wheel. I am disappointed in the low-end torque and overheating on steep hills. I'm optimistic that this won't be an issue in the production unit, but I'm still loving this wheel as it is. So if this is all I get, I'm still stoked.

I love the small form factor. Next to my ACM, this wheel seems only slightly bigger. In so many ways it appears to be more of a 16-inch wheel then our 18-inch brethren.

Except for the cost, this may be the new perfect beginner wheel. I'm convinced that it would be easier to learn on than most other wheels. You learn on it and then get to enjoy a high performance wheel that you won't out grow.

Oh, did I say that I love the build quality and the inherent feeling of safety that seems to come from the engineering behind the Ninebot name? Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, I don't know. But I can say that the hardware and software exude quality.

Thank you for love letter, Marty!

Ninebot engineers seems to succeed in so many ways.

It sounds like mission impossible to create wheel that simultaneously is

Highway king but subway comrade

trial beast but city smart ass

badass look, but crowd cutie

easy to learn, but addictive as hell

Top priority safety, but limitless fun of ride.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I bet you could buy it at a discount after the San Francisco demo.  I mean, it will have hundreds of miles on it, so maybe you will be able to buy it after all the demos are done. :whistling:

32 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I bet you could buy it at a discount after the San Francisco demo.  I mean, it will have hundreds of miles on it, so maybe you will be able to buy it after all the demos are done. :whistling:

I'd rent it until my personal copy comes in September.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Well Marty, This is what I think about all the post people make about noise from a wheel.

There is noise and there is sound.. To some, a V8 GM motor is noise, to others it is music.

Personally I dislike quiet. I prefer people to hear I am coming that way I don't have to bell them all the time. And you will see later it kinda save me from a crash . (editing video as I type)

Did I read a Gotway fan asking for build quality. Sorry I just had to mark this out. All that matters is the "Every time I  need a wheel, I'm instinctively reaching for the Z10." That kinda answers my question some time back, But is it fun? :thumbup:

Since I am still a rookie in many aspects. I can tell I love(d) my Inmotion V(, but as you said, I sort of out grew it. Now with the KS18L. I am :clap3::thumbup:....and in a state until next ride :furious: then I go again :whistling::eff034a94a: The tyre sound when  cruising is pure music...to me.

:facepalm:  There goes our Gotway contract and royalties.  :crying:  Ninebot makes good stuff.  I rode my Ninebot One E+ yesterday to get the mail, and wow it's so slim and minimalist yet smooth to cruise on.  I kind of miss riding it more.  :cry2:  Except for the limited range.  And the 22 kph max speed.  This Z10 looks like a killer wheel.

:popcorn:  Now head to the sand and bikinis, Marty!  I wish we had a remote control to steer you around and pendulum when needed.  :whistling:  Now THAT would be a cool livestream!  :w00t2:

I'll pay money for you to blast the Batman nighttime theme music and wear a long cape and your black helmet cruising through LA at night.

Hey @dw8928 when I first got into riding, I found a couple of youtube videos of a guy dressed up like a grim reaper, long black sheet covering the wheel, running after people on the street.... some freaked out scared the crap out of them... one or two guys clocked the guy in the head... see if you can find them... quite amusing... :D

Archived