My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

Just now, Marty Backe said:

It's way to easy to ask someone to rip open their new wheel. I wouldn't take mine apart unless I had an actual need. But that's just me.

I'd have to agree with that sentiment to a certain degree (I'd be too busy riding it), but having said that I did open up my Tesla immediately to check all the connections were solid etc. as a safeguard. I am now intending to buy a Z10 myself, but don't feel at all compelled to have to open it to check anything based on Ninebot's fastidious build quality!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

OK then, I take my words back @RoberAce

No, you can ask all you want. I just wouldn't hold my breath for an answer unless there's an overwhelming need.

I doubt @RoberAce is having any problems with his wheel. My attitude has always been to not open my wheels unless there's a good reason to.

Even my Z10 doesn't overheat unless I climb a long steep hill.

1 minute ago, fbhb said:

I'd have to agree with that sentiment to a certain degree (I'd be too busy riding it), but having said that I did open up my Tesla immediately to check all the connections were solid etc. as a safeguard. I am now intending to buy a Z10 myself, but don't feel at all compelled to have to open it to check anything based on Ninebot's fastidious build quality!

Agreed. However, keep in mind how easy it was to open the side panel on the Tesla. The Z10 - not so much.

That again, I think is down to the fastidious build quality of Ninebot and no doubt their quality control is exactly that. When I opened up my Tesla, I did find one cable had not been connected (not sure of the specific cable now, but it was not a battery connection) I also re-routed a few cables to make sure they were not sitting on top of components on the mainboard. No need for any concern in that department, after watching @houseofjob's teardown video with proper solid screwed/plugged connections etc!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RoberAce said:

I have no plan to open my Z

No doubt you will never need to, until the tyre needs replacing!

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Z10 failed to make the initial climb again. This time I demonstrate the effectiveness of the flashing blue ring lights that come on 5-degrees (Celsius) prior to overheat (80-degrees)

Great you were provided a warning before it dropped. Like you mentioned the sound system will most likely have an audible overheat warning as well. 

Just a thought...removing all of Cooch’s tape residue with your volatile solvent may have caused a gas permeable osmosis to occur within the shell leading to a vapor pressure depression that diminished the heat extraction resulting in the thermal imbalance.....or the Z was just tired of having to prove that it’s an awesome machine and wanted to rest. ?

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, RoberAce said:

after experiment with different pressures, finally I choose 27psi, I tried 30psi But in the irregularities of the road It bounced like a basketball

I'll have to try ~30-psi.

At 27-psi you aren't experiencing any pulling to the left/right?

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great you were provided a warning before it dropped. Like you mentioned the sound system will most likely have an audible overheat warning as well. 

Just a thought...removing all of Cooch’s tape residue with your volatile solvent may have caused a gas permeable osmosis to occur within the shell leading to a vapor pressure depression that diminished the heat extraction resulting in the thermal imbalance.....or the Z was just tired of having to prove that it’s an awesome machine and wanted to rest.

Yeah, I think the Z10 is getting bored with me trying to continuously break it :yawn:

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Tendré que probar ~ 30 psi.

¿A 27 psi no experimentas ningún tirón hacia la izquierda / derecha?

For me it is on the threshold of how comfortable and efficient is, there is a small dividing line that delimits what is a good behavior with a good comfort I think 27 is my ideal measure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I think the Z10 is getting bored with me trying to continuously break it :yawn:

I think the Z10 is telling you to send it up north to San Francisco where it can finally enjoy some cool 60° breeze. :efef62fc70:

Edited by Adel
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

For those who have a Tesla and tried the Z10. Which is faster on smooth pavement roads?  What about acceleration? Thanks 

Tesla. Z10 doesn't stand a chance.

The Tesla is like a front wheel drive sports car. The Z10 is more of a rear-drive muscle car.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Tesla. Z10 doesn't stand a chance.

The Tesla is like a front wheel drive sports car. The Z10 is more of a rear-drive muscle car.

@Marty Backe, can you please comment on the pedals of the ninebot e+ from comfort point of view. Also have you had a chance to test the regen on the Z10 ? Some of the beta reviews indicated that the regen applies to the 2 batteries unequally.

Also what charging times have you experienced, is it on par with other EUCs or slower.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adel said:

@Marty Backe, can you please comment on the pedals of the ninebot e+ from comfort point of view. Also have you had a chance to test the regen on the Z10 ? Some of the beta reviews indicated that the regen applies to the 2 batteries unequally.

Also what charging times have you experienced, is it on par with other EUCs or slower.

I haven't measured the charge time, but it seems on par with my other wheels.

I've often read about the complaints of the Ninebot pedals. This is the first Ninebot that I've ridden extensively. I wear size ~10-1/2 shoes. The Z10 pedals seem comfortable enough to me. When I did my 38-mile range test, riding near continuously for 3-hours, my feel were OK. Then again some people get sore feet after 10-miles.

I think if your feet do well on other wheels they'll be fine with the Z10. YMMV.

I haven't done the kind of riding that would test the regen. I will say that the Ninebot does not report a single battery level in the app. You only get a display that shows two battery percentage levels. When the wheel is fully charged they both show 100-percent. As the battery level gets lower, those numbers diverge. I've seen a discrepancy as great as  ~8-percent, if my memory serves me.

Yet the bottom line is this wheel gives me about the same range as my Tesla, both having about the same battery capacity.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I haven't done the kind of riding that would test the regen. I will say that the Ninebot does not report a single battery level in the app. You only get a display that shows two battery percentage levels. When the wheel is fully charged they both show 100-percent. As the battery level gets lower, those numbers diverge. I've seen a discrepancy as great as  ~8-percent, if my memory serves me.

It's interesting that the two batteries show different charge level. I wonder if there are any issues long term when the 2 batteries are used unevenly.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The MSX clearly has superior range and more power than the Z10. The Z10 is a higher quality wheel, and more fun to ride at slower speeds - it feels like a much smaller wheel than it actually is. I think the Z10 is the coolest looking wheel available right now.

Really comes down to what kind of riding that you intend on doing. You might have to do what I did and buy both :facepalm:

Cool. Well thats something Id like to do if I was rich or has a good deal of earning for myself.. but im only a college student yet :( haha. For now I guess Id stick with MSX as Im a speed demon..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sergey said:

@RoberAce Is it possible to run stress test in hills or mountains like @Marty Backe did on prototype of Z10?

It is interesting to see the changes in comparison with the serial version.

I very much doubt that anyone other than @Marty Backe, when he gets his own production Z10, would be able to run any meaningful comparison hills & mountain tests. The only way that a direct comparison can be made is for the same rider in the exact same set of circumstances (i.e. same terrain, same/similar temperature, same riding weight, etc.)  to make an assessment of the Two different Z10 versions. No offence to @RoberAce intended!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Dudo mucho que alguien que no sea  @Marty Backe , cuando obtenga su propia producción Z10, pueda ejecutar cualquier prueba comparativa de montaña y colinas. La única forma de hacer una comparación directa es para el mismo piloto en el mismo conjunto de circunstancias (es decir, el mismo terreno, la misma temperatura / similar, el mismo peso de conducción, etc.) para evaluar las dos versiones diferentes de Z10. Sin ánimo de ofender a @RoberAce  !

I agree, you can not replicate the same conditions to be able to compare accurately Beta vs Final version without the same terrain, the same pilot, the same temperature, etc. I can only contribute my experiences and Marty aport his own, and everyone must drawing their own conclusions

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EUCMania said:

To see if that is true, we can compare the control board of production Z10 of @RoberAce and that tear down video made by @houseofjob.. Hi @RoberAce, can you open the cover to show the control board?

I will for sure open my Z10, as I will install my usual red lights and check for other mods,  It shall arrive this coming Tuesday ( YES in 3 days!!!)  HURAAAA!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1