My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

i’d love to see what the Z10 can handle at slow speed, like how big a curb it can climb over without assist.

my little L8F kick escooter supposedly goes 18mph but with me on it i’d have to be on smooth pavement with a tailwind. i can start it up, stand on it, hit the juice and it will just look at me until i give it a boost. that’s extremely low torque. 

so exploring slow speed maneuvering and low end torque going over stuff like limbs in grass, is a big deal for me.

4 hours ago, nte said:

Sorry Marty!!

You seemed pretty excited on that downhill, yellin' all sorts of stuff like "Yee Haw" and "I'm loving it" and " doesn't get much funner then this" on that downhill.

Just testing the Gotway Defender's loyalty ? at least you didn't buy a one wheel... jk duf

:laughbounce2:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@houseofjob, I can see N30TC1813T0024, with multiple devices. But that's not the sound module. No Ninebot ....  I can't see any app settings to enable the Bluetooth sound.

You don't recall having to do anything special?

Did you test the functionality after you took the wheel apart and put it back together?

Not sure what's up there, have you checked on a different phone as well? Maybe an iOS device? Does this phone recognize your KS14 BT music network?

I was pretty obsessive-compulsive putting the Z back together, but admittedly checked everything (wheel function, app) BUT the BT music, sorry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, US69 said:

i really had to step back from my opinions i had About the Z10 before it came to the test round!

Ninebot seam to have done a great work!!!

When @Marty Backe is having such a fun with it ….it must be a great Wheel!

Respects again for your great Video work and what you have done for the community, Marty!

When i had a wish free i would ask you for carrying a 15kg backpack when doing further testings on the mountains….as i would be interested to know how it reacts to a bit heavier guy!!!

Unfortunatly i think Marty doesn't represent the Kind of "a bit more heavy american/european"....That would really interest me....how the Wheel works with a 85-90kg guy!

Especially as we have seen that this was or might be a prob with the v10f! Who knows...perhaps you have a more heavy Wheeler with you on your next test rounds and let him try?

Other than that….the only "bad" that is left on this 9b Reviews so far is that it is Pretty expensive......for that whathour battery!

If that Price would be a bit lower…….perhaps also my next Wheel ?

I've had requests to carry extra weight, but you can imagine that doesn't appeal to me. It's one thing to have 30-pounds of extra fat spread around your body (in your case I'm sure it's muscle), but putting a bunch of weight in a backpack is uncomfortable and also can throw off your balance. It's just not the same thing as finding a 200-pound guy to do the testing.

So sorry, no extra strap-on weights for me :(

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Not sure what's up there, have you checked on a different phone as well? Maybe an iOS device? Does this phone recognize your KS14 BT music network?

I was pretty obsessive-compulsive putting the Z back together, but admittedly checked everything (wheel function, app) BUT the BT music, sorry.

Multiple Android phones, iPad Pro, nothing works. They see other devices fine. So I think the Bluetooth is dead. Could be a premature failure or something happened during the tear-down. Who knows.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Multiple Android phones, iPad Pro, nothing works. They see other devices fine. So I think the Bluetooth is dead. Could be a premature failure or something happened during the tear-down. Who knows.

Damn.

I'm trying to remember now exactly when I tested the music (pre or post 0.4.4 FW update) to think if it actually worked post FW update.... really can't remember now though. I literally only connected to it for music once.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

it would be interesting to see if the Z10 was the clear winner in a slow race.

Based on what Marty shared on his experience, I’d say no. Compared to 16S, Msuper X excels in slowly crawling over roots, it really just rolls over like they werent there. Torque from zero is from the next world. It could be one of the top low speed pasture rollers. Although, burdened with a few ”Doh” issues a lá Gotway...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I recently turned off brake assist and I feel like the traction going down steep inclines is better. I will know more when I take it to the mountain proving grounds for round two.

Check the brake assist setting every time you re-turn on the Z10.

There's a bug in that final beta 0.4.4 FW where re-powering on the Z will reset back to the default, Brake Assist = On.  Super annoying, and hopefully fixed on the proper production units by now.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Check the brake assist setting every time you re-turn on the Z10.

There's a bug in that final beta 0.4.4 FW where re-powering on the Z will reset back to the default, Brake Assist = On.  Super annoying, and hopefully fixed on the proper production units by now.

Thanks for that. I did think I had turned it off before. I think it resets the ring light choice too (I had turned them off last, but now they are on again).

I have my theory about your lack of torque in the hills, and not having this problem on your usual walks. I think it's related to temperature management. when you climb a hill, you raise the temperature of the wheel. Since all the electronics are in a confined environment without ventilation, the wheel must probably restrict the energy flow according to the degree of temperature. And if you insist, the wheel cuts the current.. It would have needed a monitoring of the wheel to understand its management of energy.

Edited by Stanor

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Again, except for the torque issues that occur in niche conditions,

Please consider that You ride pre-release unit with non-final mainboard.... this means that final production version may have better performance ( even with low speed torque )  ? 

so even more "German made"  (I know what You mean... we drive here a lot of BMW, Mercedes and Audi cars being just next to Germany, and now even producing some VW here..  I enjoy my A8 a lot...)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

OK, for kicks I just weighed a few wheels that I have laying about. I'll let you convert to kilograms.

• Tesla: 41-1/2 pounds
  • MSuper V3s+: 48 pounds
  • Z10: 53-1/2 pounds

I imagine that the MSX will weigh a little more than my MSuper V3s+

Thanks @Marty Backe

•  

Please, what is your favorite wheel?  I currently own a Tesla also, and I love it!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

Please consider that You ride pre-release unit with non-final mainboard.... this means that final production version may have better performance ( even with low speed torque )  ?

It might...but it might not. He can only review and discuss the wheel he has in his hands and that is what he's found thus far.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

Please, what is your favorite wheel?  I currently own a Tesla also, and I love it!

My favorite wheel is the ACM2

• Like 1