My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well said. This is an exciting wheel to own (even if my ownership only lasts a few weeks) and I'm always looking forward to the next time I step on the pedals. This is a very impressive wheel in person.

I have a lot more riding to do, and I suppose a show stopper could be around the corner. But I doubt it.

I recently visited and rode the 18L. Although certainly a nice wheel by all accounts, it doesn't stir my primal emotions like the Z10 does :D I kind of feel funny saying this, as the perceived Gotway guy, but I'm now anticipating my personal Z10 more than the MSuper X :unsure:.

Dang, and here I was just about to pull the trigger on a 84/1600 MSX...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Dang, and here I was just about to pull the trigger on a 84/1600 MSX...

Keep in mind that I already have an MSuper V3s+. So the MSX feels more like a refinement to me. I still bought it.

Remember how we all felt when we saw the very first pictures of the Z10. Exciting as hell right? Well it feels that way when you have it sitting in front of you too. The MSX is a testerone generator wheel for sure, but I think the Z10 beats them all when it comes to primal urges. And it actually delivers. 

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Keep in mind that I already have an MSuper V3s+. So the MSX feels more like a refinement to me. I still bought it.

Remember how we all felt when we saw the very first pictures of the Z10. Exciting as hell right? Well it feels that way when you have it sitting in front of you too. The MSX is a testerone generator wheel for sure, but I think the Z10 beats them all. And it actually delivers. 

Well, at least I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've got a good price on it if I do. My reasons for considering the MSX is range, tire-size and width and the fact that the MOS specs and layout actually looks sane this time...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Well, at least I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've got a good price on it if I do. My reasons for considering the MSX is range, tire-size and width and the fact that the MOS specs and layout actually looks sane this time...

Well, the MSX is still going to smoke the Z10 when it comes to range. Remember; No. Perfect. Wheel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @Marty Backe help me wrap my head around the fact that the battery in the Z is only slightly bigger than my MCM5 will have and less than a Tesla?.... :confused1:

Well, the battery is almost 25% bigger than the MCM5 which qualifies as more than "slightly" in my book. But I don't understand the question :confused1:

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Well, the battery is almost 25% bigger than the MCM5 which qualifies as more than "slightly" in my book. But I don't understand the question :confused1:

with that size wheel 18" amd huge tire, and the kind of riding you do, do you think it will have a range that will work... you are a range guy and mostly looking for the biggest batteries available... 

• Like 1

@Marty Backe

Good stuff, I may follow you onto ownership of this one as well - you and those damn mTen3 comparisons are bad for my wallet.

Also here's an idea for a video, it might be fun for you to do a video demoing the Z10, the MCM5, and the mTen3 all in one.  Pick 3 tasks, one that each does better than the other, then put all 3 through the three tasks so we can see the gap (if any) between this 10", 14" and 18" wheel.  I suspect it would be a popular video, not just because of the Z10 being new, but because no body really spends time talking about the differences in size and purpose. And if you want bonus points you can compare some extra wheels of the appropriate size like an mSuper X I suspect you have on order. ?

(While I'm coming around on the fact I may need more than one EUC to match it to the purpose, I'm not convinced I need more than on in each *size* :)  (or that I need a 16"inch at all?  4" increments seem pretty clean for purpose differentiation).

Also I'd like to see some heavier (200 pound+ gear) riders on this.  If you can't find volunteers, maybe you can add 25 pounds of water weight via a Camelbak.  :)  Or even better talk Jason into sending it to Michael Vu or I here in Austin, and we'll test it for you!  

Lastly, your weather isn't hot.  Texas is hot.  Test the sucker in heat!!!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

(While I'm coming around on the fact I may need more than one EUC to match it to the purpose, I'm not convinced I need more than on in each *size* :)  (or that I need a 16"inch at all?  4" increments seem pretty clean for purpose differentiation).

I would Highly Recommend you find someone with a 16S and a Tesla before you rule out that size wheel... I have all sizes except a 10" and a monster as of yet, and the 16" is by far my favorite... at least right now... ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Dunno if Chooch was aware (FWIW, we barely see his user pop-up on this forum ever), but the music speaker is IMHO on par with most current wheels, which is to say kinda OK-ish but not amazing.

TBF I didn't really put it through it's paces though, especially mid-ride (as the wind can drown out most speakers from the ears of riders on said wheel).

Yeah, the bluetooth speaker is not important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Paolini said:

@Marty Backe

Good stuff, I may follow you onto ownership of this one as well - you and those damn mTen3 comparisons are bad for my wallet.

Also here's an idea for a video, it might be fun for you to do a video demoing the Z10, the MCM5, and the mTen3 all in one.  Pick 3 tasks, one that each does better than the other, then put all 3 through the three tasks so we can see the gap (if any) between this 10", 14" and 18" wheel.  I suspect it would be a popular video, not just because of the Z10 being new, but because no body really spends time talking about the differences in size and purpose. And if you want bonus points you can compare some extra wheels of the appropriate size like an mSuper X I suspect you have on order. ?

Also I'd like to see some heavier (200 pound+ gear) riders on this.  If you can't find volunteers, maybe you can add 25 pounds of water weight via a Camelbak.  :)  Or even better talk Jason into sending it to Michael Vu or I here in Austin, and we'll test it for you!  

Lastly, your weather isn't hot.  Texas is hot.  Test the sucker in heat!!!

Not enough time to do all requests. Hopefully what I do will help along with the other testers of this wheel.

There's a chance that @maltocs (200-pounds) will join me this coming Saturday for the 4600-ft climb test. He will ride it half-way.

Michael Vu rode it last weekend, although not extensively.

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

with that size wheel 18" amd huge tire, and the kind of riding you do, do you think it will have a range that will work... you are a range guy and mostly looking for the biggest batteries available... 

It's difficult for me to preface all my commentary, but please remember that I have lots of wheels. I have two 1600wh wheels and a 2400wh wheel. And a 1300wh wheel. So my long distance riding is covered. The Z10 fits the middle ground and looks to be able to take me on many typical rides.

If I was beginning my EUC journey, and only had a ~800wh wheel like I originally did, I'd be going for the MSX. I remember at the time I really wanted to journey over that hill in the distance, and was always bummed when I had to turn around. There were no bigger wheels at the time. Then the 2400wh Monster came out. Blew my mind. Followed by more battery behemoths. We have rich choices now.

So that's why the ~1000wh Z10 doesn't bother me. Same reason I bought the Tesla BTW.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I weighed it (see above somewhere). About 53-pounds. Considering that the trolley handle is made from 1-mil sheet metal and the mudguard (which is very nice) is plastic, they don't contribute much to the weight.

OK, for kicks I just weighed a few wheels that I have laying about. I'll let you convert to kilograms.

• Tesla: 41-1/2 pounds
  • MSuper V3s+: 48 pounds
  • Z10: 53-1/2 pounds

I imagine that the MSX will weigh a little more than my MSuper V3s+

Thanks @Marty Backe

•  
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

anybody keeping score on thumbs up, as in the reviewer is gonna buy one, or thumbs down, no buy, for whatever reason.

i keep trying to kid myself that i’m not gonna buy this wheel.

I thought you were out  :efee8319ab:

• Like 1