My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

On my ghetto extender essentially no air escapes when unscrewing it.

Do you have to screw it on or can you just push it into place? In my case it's always that small zone where while screwing the little pin is depressed in the valve but the seal was broken because of unscrewing.

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

On my ghetto extender essentially no air escapes when unscrewing it.

I believe my old NB E1+ valve extender should work. I may cut it in half or thirds and add a rubber hose with clamps for more flexibility. I’ll know more tomorrow. 

29269594677_c5388c99a9_b.jpg

43488471434_ea146d56ea_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Do you have to screw it on or can you just push it into place? In my case it's always that small zone where while screwing the little pin is depressed in the valve but the seal was broken because of unscrewing.

I screw it on. I've done this many times on the Z10 and I've never heard air escaping. I think it's because my extender is made from four sections which means the only air you lose is from one of the small 1-inch extenders.

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I believe my old NB E1+ valve extender should work. I may cut it in half or thirds and add a rubber hose with clamps for more flexibility. I’ll know more tomorrow. 

29269594677_c5388c99a9_b.jpg

I think that's what @Jason McNeil was expecting to be shipped with the wheels, per his request to Ninebot.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I screw it on. I've done this many times on the Z10 and I've never heard air escaping. I think it's because my extender is made from four sections which means the only air you lose is from one of the small 1-inch extenders.

I don't think the way it's built has something to do with it. The air escapes at the part that screws on the valve. It's as if you keep it pressed down with your nail for a split second.

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I don't think the way it's built has something to do with it. The air escapes at the part that screws on the valve. It's as if you keep it pressed down with your nail for a split second.

Well, I hear/read from people who complain about a lot of air leaking while the extender is attached. I've never experience this - I literally hear zero air hissing while connecting mine. Who knows :confused1:

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Well, I hear/read from people who complain about a lot of air leaking while the extender is attached. I've never experience this - I literally hear zero air hissing while connecting mine. Who knows :confused1:

Lucky you. I sometimes have to add air 3 or 4 times because I lose too much while removing it.

BTW on that subject. I saw numbers of around 20psi for riding the Z10? Isn't that extremely low?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Lucky you. I sometimes have to add air 3 or 4 times because I lose too much while removing it.

BTW on that subject. I saw numbers of around 20psi for riding the Z10? Isn't that extremely low?

I think so, but it also depends on your weight. For me (175-pounds), I settled on 30-psi.  I tried the low 20's and I experienced pulling to the left/right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think so, but it also depends on your weight. For me (175-pounds), I settled on 30-psi.  I tried the low 20's and I experienced pulling to the left/right.

I'm 150 pounds, so I might be going a bit lower? Right now I am running it at 34 psi

21 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I'm 150 pounds, so I might be going a bit lower? Right now I am running it at 34 psi

I would try something between 25 and 30, at your weight. My Z10 tire filling video provides additional information, but I would lower the pressure until you feel the wheel start pulling left or right as you ride over rough pavement, etc. Then add a few PSI and you should be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

The brass valve extender doesn't work by itself with the One Z. I have the one that came with my One S1, the female end is too long and the thread on the valve stem is too short that it can't reach the pin in the valve to open it.

You can use the brass extender with the flexible one that came with the One Z but you have to use an o-ring and/or teflon tape between the threads. A shorter valve extender, like 1-1/4" long, and the flexible extender works better for me.

Perhaps having less thread on the valve helps minimize escaped air after filling.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rotciv said:

The brass valve extender doesn't work by itself with the One Z. I have the one that came with my One S1, the female end is too long and the thread on the valve stem is too short that it can't reach the pin in the valve to open it.

You can use the brass extender with the flexible one that came with the One Z but you have to use an o-ring and/or teflon tape between the threads. A shorter valve extender, like 1-1/4" long, and the flexible extender works better for me.

Perhaps having less thread on the valve helps minimize escaped air after filling.

Thanks for the advice. In your opinion would cutting the NB1 brass extender into appropriate lengths (to be determined) and then conjoining the sections with a rubber tube for increased flexibility have validity? 

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks for the advice. In your opinion would cutting the NB1 brass extender into appropriate lengths (to be determined) and then conjoining the sections with a rubber tube for increased flexibility have validity? 

great another wheel with a funky valve stem.

just put a brass extension, the female threaded end on ur belt sander and shave off some. or bench grinder. trying to get inmotion to send me one that fits their wheel. if it fits theirs, it should fit the zed sled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

just put a brass extension, the female threaded end on ur belt sander and shave off some. or bench grinder.

You know how much I enjoy grinding stuff. :)

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You know how much I enjoy grinding stuff. :)

lucky u, u have a shop. i’ll probably have to use my concrete apron to grind it.

brass sb soft. 

not jealous but still amazed toledo ohio is two days ground for fedex.

that is some fast truck driving.

Edited by novazeus

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Power Baby

OK, I couldn't help myself. I climbed aboard for a few minutes of riding (I really have to get to work)...

Signs are looking good. Compared to the pre-production unit, this feels like it definitely has a bump in power, like, wow. :dribble:

hopefully u will do a night ride tn and report back on the differences if any.

no pressure.

• Like 1

Guys, guys. You are all making this seem so complex. Just buy a short ~1-inch valve extension, screw it onto the end of the Ninebot supplied extension, and you're good. No grinding, cutting, etc. Let's not over-think this :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Guys, guys. You are all making this seem so complex. Just buy a short ~1-inch valve extension, screw it onto the end of the Ninebot supplied extension, and you're good. No grinding, cutting, etc. Let's not over-think this :wacko:

buy, buy, buy, is that all u think about.

but yeah, a short one might be able to leave on the valve stem. 

• Like 2

Your no fun! :) 

I’ve never owned a wheel that some part didn’t end up being resurfaced with an abrasive machine. Come to think of it you’ve abraded all of your wheels at some point when you involuntarily danced them on concrete/asphalt. :P

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

buy, buy, buy, is that all u think about.

but yeah, a short one might be able to leave on the valve stem. 

No, no, no. There's no space between the valve stem and the wheel chassis.

Attach the 1-inch valve extension to the Ninebot supplied extension (the male end). Then screw the female end of the Ninebot extension onto the valve and fill the tire.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

No, no, no. There's no space between the valve stem and the wheel chassis.

Attach the 1-inch valve extension to the Ninebot supplied extension (the male end). Then screw the female end of the Ninebot extension onto the valve and fill the tire.

i know what u mean, i was referring to the v10f. with a little plastic valve extension, it probably could stay on the wheel. sure would be easier to pry up to check pressures etc. of course i have probably three weeks before i’ll have to worry about the v10f again. i’m hoping they put it on a plane a the tube explodes so they have to replace the tube with a decent valve stem.

go ride the zed and come back a tell us how smart we were to buy this wheel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i know what u mean, i was referring to the v10f. with a little plastic valve extension, it probably could stay on the wheel. sure would be easier to pry up to check pressures etc. of course i have probably three weeks before i’ll have to worry about the v10f again. i’m hoping they put it on a plane a the tube explodes so they have to replace the tube with a decent valve stem.

go ride the zed and come back a tell us how smart we were to buy this wheel.

You already know how smart you are. Us fifty are the smartest and luckiest to enjoy this wheel during the remainder of summer.

I can't wait to ride it around tonight ...

You already know how smart you are. Us fifty are the smartest and luckiest to enjoy this wheel during the remainder of summer.

I can't wait to ride it around tonight ...

i can’t wait to hear ur comments later. 

gotta say it was good timing on the inmotion recall. it was gonna be neglected with zed’s arrival anyway.