My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

hard to tell from pictures but i think i can do a tasteful job.

trust me, in the pasture, it’s gonna get dropped a lot or forced bailed outs. 

I will report you to “Z Rights Watch”! ? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yes, thank you.

everybody is gonna hate me but i think i’m gonna wallpaper mine with a black yoga mat.

protection from pasture falls and for leg adhesion and shock absorption.

Yes, we will hate you for wrapping this beautiful wheel in a yoga mat :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

Now for the sour note. For some inexplicable reason, the downhill torque has not increased :confused1:  I experienced the same somewhat frightening sensation of losing control of the wheel as I navigated down the very steep hills that I had just climbed. It was the same sensation I experienced with the pre-production unit.

That’s a bit disturbing. I’m glad I read your post as I was just about to schedule a time slot at the auto proving grounds for tomorrow.  So how does the steep hill decent compare to the ACM or MCM 5? 

30357436488_43a7ffd7a5_b.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yes, thank you.

everybody is gonna hate me but i think i’m gonna wallpaper mine with a black yoga mat.

protection from pasture falls and for leg adhesion and shock absorption.

It should come with pads that are installed by the owner, if desired.  Items 4 and 5.Image result for ninebot one z10 pads

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

That’s a bit disturbing. I’m glad I read your post as I was just about to schedule a time slot at the auto proving grounds for tomorrow.  So how does the steep hill decent compare to the ACM or MCM 5? 

that was marty. i have little hills. and mine is still in texas.

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Night and day. As stated, the Inmotion V10F, KingSong wheels, and Gotway wheels, have zero issue going down this same hill. You feel sturdy and in total control.

I think it's somewhat of a cop out for the people saying that you just need to learn how to downhill brake on the Z10, and then all will be fine. From my vast experience with a wide variety of wheels, the Z10 is inferior in this regards.

In your practical riding conditions, I'm sure you realize that you have nothing to be concerned about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It should come with pads that are installed by the owner, if desired.  Items 4 and 5.

Trust me, the included pads will provide little protection to the wheel. I think they are meant more for protecting the legs.

• Like 2

I'm just wondering why it feels like your pedals tilt back when braking going downhill.  The wheel should keep the shell/pedals as level as possible, and it doesn't know what incline or decline you're on.  The contact point on the tire does shift to the front or back depending on going up or down the hill.   The sensation of standing on your toes is likely you trying to eek some more power out of the wheel as it slows down going up hills.  That is a good idea about the ride mode, but I wonder whether the wheel firmware can just sense the slower speed and higher current load going uphill and increase the velocity to compensate and detect the regenerative current and increasing speed and increase the braking?  I don't know if it's wise to alter the pedal tilt in an uphill/downhill...  have to think more on that.

They tilt back because I'm braking:efeebb3acc: To counter the wheel trying to runaway down the mountain. (Also I use the medium ride mode which makes the wheel act more hysteretic).

In principle, I believe it's clear. From a technical standpoint, it makes sense to have the wheel react slower under high stress to prevent spikes. Just like you guessed happens with the Z10. From a rider standpoint, the exact opposite would give you the best control. But it amplifies the already high stress. Would be cool though.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

They tilt back because I'm braking:efeebb3acc: To counter the wheel trying to runaway down the mountain. (Also I use the medium ride mode which makes the wheel act more hysteretic).

In principle, I believe it's clear. From a technical standpoint, it makes sense to have the wheel react slower under high stress to prevent spikes. Just like you guessed happens with the Z10. From a rider standpoint, the exact opposite would give you the best control. But it amplifies the already high stress. Would be cool though.

I usually use the medium mode on my Tesla, and the pedals are pretty level most of the time except for when there's tiltback.  I did actually notice the Telsa does seem to tilt slightly as my headlamp beam varies in its shape on a level sidewalk when reaching a certain speed.  Otherwise the pedals remain pretty flat during braking.  Is there tiltback going down very steep hills?  The sensation is different when braking on flat and going downhill.  You can feel the contact patch more rearward in the downhill, but I haven't noticed any pedal tilt otherwise.  Maybe it's an ACM thing?  :confused1:  I would think that the firmware tries to keep the pedals/case/control board level in most situations unless a tiltback routine is triggered or unless a soft riding mode is selected?

The pedals don't tilt back, but they tilt back just like do during (initiating) braking. Everything clear now?:efeebb3acc:

Not to venture too far into offtopic, but EUCs aren't static (then they wouldn't move at all), just move around some equillibrium state. I guess that's why "the pedals are always level" doesn't work here.

I just know, if I go down steep inclines, it feels like the wheel is trying to run away and it is harder to brake because I can't easily push the back of the pedals down. Feels like you're trying to brake while already braking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The pedals don't tilt back, but they tilt back just like do during (initiating) braking. Everything clear now?:efeebb3acc:

Not to venture too far into offtopic, but EUCs aren't static (then they wouldn't move at all), just move around some equillibrium state. I guess that's why "the pedals are always level" doesn't work here.

I just know, if I go down steep inclines, it feels like the wheel is trying to run away and it is harder to brake because I can't easily push the back of the pedals down. Feels like you're trying to brake while already braking.

I think many (most) people never ride down very steep hills so they just can't relate. You, I know, relate to my experience :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Trust me, the included pads will provide little protection to the wheel. I think they are meant more for protecting the legs.

They look terrific but there must be a more definitive method for securing them to the shell. I like your industrial Velcro recommendation but I have a feeling the pads might loose that custom molded appearance if they are elevated by the thickness of the Velcro. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

They look terrific but there must be a more definitive method for securing them to the shell. I like your industrial Velcro recommendation but I have a feeling the pads might loose that custom molded appearance if they are elevated by the thickness of the Velcro. 

I'm not attaching mine. I don't want any padding between my legs and the wheel. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rotciv said:

It’s possible that you haven’t had enough experience going downhill with the One Z. 

When I first got mine, I experienced about the same as you did going down steep hills to the point of almost bailing out. 

Once I learned more about the wheel’s characteristics and improved my technique, I don’t have any issues going down steep bumpy hills. Assistive braking works well for me, might not for someone else. 

Same experience here! You should not assume that your thousands of kilometer/miles of riding experience translates 1to1 to the Z. There is a learning curve and this is true for all aspects of the Z and especially true for downhill riding. So you might want to give it some practice on these extremely steep hills before crying for firmware updates. Time will tell.

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sometimes I wonder if I should do these videos. I get subsequent comments (not you) on YouTube and Facebook where people immediately write off the wheel as not worthy to consider owning, just because of the edge case weakness. What wheel is perfect?

So many people have unrealistic expectations. They should ride the wheels that were available in 2015, and think about complaining about what we have now.

Thank you for doing these videos! ? They are important for all of us. They give important and experienced insights. They reflect your honest opinion and everybody is entitled to his opinion. At present many of us are test pilots for a new technology (for some companies more than for others) and we risk our health to support and bring about advances in this rather young technology. There is, no doubt, some pioneering spirit necessary and it comes with a price. This is true for other young sports as well, think of hang gliders, paragliders and snow sports. Enthusiasts and critics likewise bring about advancement. So please don’t doubt what you are doing because of some ignorants commentaries on YouTube and Facebook. The oak does not mind the Pinscher peeing at it!

You are doing a great job with your videos... but you have to practice downhill with your new Z ? 

• Like 3