My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Mike Paolini said:

I can verify this as well, bought an Android for $25 and a Pebble 2 weeks ago, and got Wheelog working via Rebble.  Though I will say the screen screws up every so often on the Pebble.

The screen 'screws up' on all Pebble watches. Usually you just have to cycle to a different screen to get it fully working again.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The screen 'screws up' on all Pebble watches. Usually you just have to cycle to a different screen to get it fully working again.

Somebody posted about a fix. I did a Google search and it seems if you open the back of the watch and put pressure on the board it takes care of the problem I'm going to try it later and I will post if it works. You can check YouTube also there's a video

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Curious, this is first time I've heard of this problem with the Pebble watch.  I never had this happen to mine... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Valley said:

hey, there is a fix for that! its easy as 1.2.3

open up the back, fold a postit note and put preassure on the screen controll chip, put the backpanel back on.

it took me a few tries(i tried different things than postit) but now my screen has been error free for 3 weeks, before i had daily screwups on the display.

google it, your welcome

I'll try it.

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

You're the lucky one. Hey Mark send me a PM I was trying to send you a message and it doesn't accept it.

Having the same problem from this end... Maybe we need to try again later?  @Marcglider PM sent text me...

Edited by Mark Lee

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The Z pandemic is currently under control in the US as only 50 cases have been reported. There is expected to be an increasing number cases in the coming months though.  ;)

More than 50 cases.  Those 50 cases came only from ewheels.  There are other cases coming from aliexpress, gearbest, etc....

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Seriously, if my wife finds out about the Z the current epidemic in the US will decrease by 1.  Her sister works at my facility where the wheel is being delivered this morning.  :wacko:

Suppose I could say the box contains the V10F that I just sent back yesterday and shout out “What amazing service! An incredible 12 hour turn around time!”   ;)

Tell her you asked for a tyre upgrade, and they installed a wider tyre. She won't notice :p 

Hey @Marty Backe thanks for the test and review... seems like the issue certainly can be resolved with firmware programming, especially since it has all the torque on the way up... that being said, I feel a bit disapointed for you and users in those conditions that you get a Great wheel but feel it is "unsafe" to use it as was the intention on the purchase... I guess I am a little lucky as the biggest hill here for me is the handicap ramp at the end of the sidewalk :rolleyes: Let's hope they read these reviews and act on them... he did respond to your video post in the past... :)

Edited by Marcglider
  • Like 2

It’s possible that you haven’t had enough experience going downhill with the One Z. 

When I first got mine, I experienced about the same as you did going down steep hills to the point of almost bailing out. 

Once I learned more about the wheel’s characteristics and improved my technique, I don’t have any issues going down steep bumpy hills. Assistive braking works well for me, might not for someone else. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for testing. For normal street riding I feel absolutely no issues in braking. Then again I know a very steep downhill road here which I have done with my Inmotion V8 and the Rockwheel GT16. Maybe I should give it a shot with the Z10?

What does assistive braking do exactly? Something with pedal tilt I believe?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Thanks for testing. For normal street riding I feel absolutely no issues in braking. Then again I know a very steep downhill road here which I have done with my Inmotion V8 and the Rockwheel GT16. Maybe I should give it a shot with the Z10?

What does assistive braking do exactly? Something with pedal tilt I believe?

Assisted braking makes the pedals dip backwards a little as you brake.

8 minutes ago, Rotciv said:

It’s possible that you haven’t had enough experience going downhill with the One Z. 

When I first got mine, I experienced about the same as you did going down steep hills to the point of almost bailing out. 

Once I learned more about the wheel’s characteristics and improved my technique, I don’t have any issues going down steep bumpy hills. Assistive braking works well for me, might not for someone else. 

Well, I have about 400-miles riding the Z10, but granted most of that was not down very steep hills. San Francisco riders experienced the same think. Gotway, KingSong, and Inmotion 10F riders (includes me) do not require practice. Those wheels went down this hill with zero difficulty.

I would ask if what you think is steep is what I think is steep? But maybe it is just poor downhill riding skills on my part? I'm not above saying that. Will be interested in hearing what @who_the says.

16 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @Marty Backe thanks for the test and review... seems like the issue certainly can be resolved with firmware programming, especially since it has all the torque on the way up... that being said, I feel a bit disapointed for you and users in those conditions that you get a Great wheel but feel it is "unsafe" to use it as was the intention on the purchase... I guess I am a little lucky as the biggest hill here for me is the handicap ramp at the end of the sidewalk :rolleyes: Let's hope they read these reviews and act on them... he did respond to your video post in the past... :)

I'm hoping. It's still a fantastic wheel for me. But everyone needs to know the facts.

29 minutes ago, novazeus said:

weird!

i wonder if riding it backwards downhill would be different?

be interesting to see how it did on steep pavement.

gotta just be a firmware tweak.

nice review. sb the best wheel for my situation.

it looks like the wheel fits u nicely, how is it comfort wise?

which is more difficult geting use to, 18s or zed?

The Zed required very little adjustment relative to the 18S. The Zed is very comfortable to me. I love this wheel. Does that say enough? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

For some inexplicable reason, the downhill torque has not increased :confused1:  I experienced the same somewhat frightening sensation of losing control of the wheel as I navigated down the very steep hills that I had just climbed. It was the same sensation I experienced with the pre-production unit.

Clearly the motor, battery, electronics, etc. are capable of generating the necessary power, as demonstrated in the climbing mode. The Z10 has this Assisted Braking feature (which was off, and make the experience worse when on), and there I suspect the Ninebot firmware engineers implemented unique code for the downhill/braking mode of operation, and that has not changed in the production wheel.

When I rode the wheel home, I paid more attention to the braking characteristics of the wheel and can say without a doubt, braking suffers with this wheel. And this is exacerbated when going down steep hills.

Great video! Thank you! Uphill was as I expected it to be. Downhill too. The Z rides differently in comparison to the GW wheels. It takes some additional practice for downhill riding. You might want to try the brake assist function. It is actually not as bad as I first though for steeper downhill rides since the pedals are slightly raised. Lowering your point of gravity a bit also makes a difference for me. You might want to experiment a bit here. Give it a week or two to get out of the GW downhill mode. ? 

There is a learning curve here, people!

I am sure everybody did notice your magic smile from one ear to the other on your way to the hill and on your way up. Telltale sign of Z addiction. ? 

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm hoping. It's still a fantastic wheel for me. But everyone needs to know the facts.

I'm getting one, just waiting to see if I am able on this batch or next...

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But until/if the firmware is updated (if it can be) I won't be taking mine where there are steep downhill sections, or if I do, I'll walk it down the hill.

Your quote above is why I responded... that is what I thought was a bit disappointing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcglider said:

I'm getting one, just waiting to see if I am able on this batch or next...

Your quote above is why I responded... that is what I thought was a bit disappointing 

This changes quite a bit with practice. All new things feel different a first. There is a learning curve here as well!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Zed required very little adjustment relative to the 18S. The Zed is very comfortable to me. I love this wheel. Does that say enough? :)

yes, thank you.

everybody is gonna hate me but i think i’m gonna wallpaper mine with a black yoga mat.

protection from pasture falls and for leg adhesion and shock absorption.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But everyone needs to know the facts.

And one of these facts is: there is a learning curve here, comparable to the different physics of the wider tire. Since you know how to ride backwards, I recommend to ride up some hills backward. It’s good training! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

May be not everybody, ... but I will!  ?

hard to tell from pictures but i think i can do a tasteful job.

trust me, in the pasture, it’s gonna get dropped a lot or forced bailed outs.